Former Patriots/Texans/Ravens QB Ryan Mallett dies in a drowning accident

ET80

19 hours ago, Warhorse said:

I've been caught in a current getting pulled back out into the ocean. NO fun.....Damn. 

Rip currents really suck but the really crappy thing is most are survivable if you just swim to the side instead of panicking trying to swim against the rip current. An average swimmer should be able to survive one and frankly there needs to be more education on how you deal with one if your caught. You can also wait for it to bring you out past the waves but that can be a LONG way from shore. 

• Like 3

On 6/29/2023 at 9:39 AM, Spartacus said:

Rip currents really suck but the really crappy thing is most are survivable if you just swim to the side instead of panicking trying to swim against the rip current. An average swimmer should be able to survive one and frankly there needs to be more education on how you deal with one if your caught. You can also wait for it to bring you out past the waves but that can be a LONG way from shore. 

RIP and condolences to his family and friends...

I've had several water incidents over my years (more helping others) and I'm lucky that I was raised with those teachings and many others like CPR.   Drives me nuts that I have a gf that doesn't know how to swim but she loves the ocean. So I never relax when we're at the beach/lake/river. lol 

Edited by G

I wish more people are trained about what to do in a rip current. On the gulf coast there’s a sandbar. The rip current will pull you…just let it. It’s not going to take you out to sea. After a little while you can just casually swim to shore (if you can’t just stand once you get to the sandbar…which often you can). The key is to 1) not be drunk, and 2) to not panic. 

I would have the head lifeguard of Pensacola Beach give our command a brief at the beginning of every summer. When they go to retrieve bodies…the are almost always on the sandbar. Emerald-Sandbar.jpg

Notice how the water is turquoise on the shore, the dark blue, then turquoise. That’s the sandbar. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, kingseanjohn said:

I briefly got caught in a rip current years ago. I refuse to get more than waist deep in the open ocean now. Even being a semi strong swimmer, it was scary. 

I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb is to swim horizontally to the current. Swimming against the current will tire you out without making any progress. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 5:08 PM, sammymvpknight said:

I wish more people are trained about what to do in a rip current. On the gulf coast there’s a sandbar. The rip current will pull you…just let it. It’s not going to take you out to sea. After a little while you can just casually swim to shore (if you can’t just stand once you get to the sandbar…which often you can). The key is to 1) not be drunk, and 2) to not panic. 

I would have the head lifeguard of Pensacola Beach give our command a brief at the beginning of every summer. When they go to retrieve bodies…the are almost always on the sandbar. Emerald-Sandbar.jpg

Notice how the water is turquoise on the shore, the dark blue, then turquoise. That’s the sandbar. 

I think the reality is, an awful lot of drowning incidents are because point #1 is not always so straightforward.  People are out there drinking, enjoying things...and that gets them into situations they probably shouldn't be in.

On 7/1/2023 at 9:39 PM, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

It was surprising to hear he was already 35 years old.  Still, that is way too young to die.  RIP.

Yeah.  It's crazy that he was 35 years old.  Feels like just the other day he was still in the draft.  I know he was an older prospect to begin with, but it doesn't feel like it wast that long ago that he should be 35 already.

Wild how 35 sounds extremely old for a Quarterback who hasn't "made it"...but extremely young for someone to die like that.