Former Patriots/Texans/Ravens QB Ryan Mallett dies in a drowning accident

ET80

Mallett, the former Arkansas Razorback was drafted by the New England Patriots in the 3rd round of the 2011 NFL draft. Mallett was traded to the Houston Texans in 2014, making two starts and looking like a potential starting QB in the process. The following year he lost his starting job to Brian Hoyer and was eventually cut by the Texans, signing with the Baltimore Ravens shortly after.

Mallett was 35 years old.

Horrible for Mallet's loved ones. Apparently 10 people have drowned this month alone on the Florida Panhandle/Gulf shore of Alabama due to rip currents. Gotta be careful if you're gonna go out there. 

I'm not the greatest swimmer, so I would only swim indoors. Stories of people getting caught up in rip currents or drowning in an eddy seem terrifying. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

Dang that's sad to hear. Seemed like he was always made out to be a heel during his career for whatever seems like nonsense in hindsight. I can still remember him having some on-field glory as a Ravens' backup and can still picture him smiling in a post game interview following him coming in and playing really well in a game when the Ravens upset the Steelers when they had a terrible team that year (2015). RIP

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Horrible for Mallet's loved ones. Apparently 10 people have drowned this month alone on the Florida Panhandle/Gulf shore of Alabama due to rip currents. Gotta be careful if you're gonna go out there. 

I'm not the greatest swimmer, so I would only swim indoors. Stories of people getting caught up in rip currents or drowning in an eddy seem terrifying. 

I briefly got caught in a rip current years ago. I refuse to get more than waist deep in the open ocean now. Even being a semi strong swimmer, it was scary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I briefly got caught in a rip current years ago. I refuse to get more than waist deep in the open ocean now. Even being a semi strong swimmer, it was scary. 

I guess the best advise is to not panic and swim parallel with the coast until you get clear of it.  Evidently there were red flags flying warning folks not to swim there.  How sad...