49ers Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

Alright, it's that time of the year again! The rookies report tomorrow and the vets report on the 25th. There's some juicy storylines as always and we still have Bosa's contract situation yet to be taken care of. 

For me:

1. How is Brock Purdy's recovery coming along? Will he ready for week 1 or does he start on the PUP list?

2. Lance vs Darnold. Who has the upper hand here? We know what the national media thinks but how does it play out on the field?

3. Back to #2, is there any chance we trade the loser of the QB2 spot and go with Allen as QB #3?

4. How does the CB depth char play out? Is Oliver a lock for the NB spot? Can Womack potentially get one of the starting spots? How does Luter look? Does Thomas get cut or does he step up like he did towards the end of the 2021 season?

5. Brown vs Gibson, who starts opposite of Hufanga? 

6. Winters vs Graham, which rookie has the upper hand? Can one of them take Al-Shaair's spot or does that go to someone else?

7. Latu vs Willis, which rookie shines the most? Can Willis crack the 53 man roster or is he likely to go on the PS?

8. How does WR4 and WR5 spots play out? Can Bell take one of those spots? 

9. How does Drake Jackson look? Is he a sure bet starter opposite of Bosa or do we need to go sign one of the vet pass rushers that are still on the market?

10. Can the two young guards take their game to another level and be reliable for the entire season? Is Bendel a lock to keep his starting spot?

11. Mason vs Mitchell, who wins the RB2 competition? I know most will say there is no competition but if Mitchell continues to get hurt, how can it NOT be a competition?

I'm sure I am missing some but these are some of the things I am looking forward to. Of course, also want to see if Deebo comes in 2021 shape and can wreck the league again. 

• Like 6

A couple of things I'm keeping an eye on:

• How do Jordan Mason's hands look after working on catching all off-season? 
  • Where is Danny Gray at? He couldn't block, which is why he didn't really play last year. Very curious to see how he's progressed.
  • Which rookie TE is going to make a name for himself? TE2 and TE3 is wide open, who steps up?
  • Is Nick Zackelj ready to take a step forward? 
  • Can Robert Beal contribute at all in year one? 
  • Who are LB3 and LB4? Lots of young, fast talent in the LB group
  • Who is the first CB off the bench? Can Thomas make the roster or can Luter or Womack lock down CB4?
  • Can Ji'Ayir Brown carve out a meaningful role on defense? 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Im curious to see how Khalia Davis looks and the furthered progression of Jason Poe

Yes on both! Davis is getting a lot of love thus far and if he can be a contributor, that gives us even more pass rush depth. I also want to see if Kinlaw is able to do anything and/or if he is one that could be moved for a late round pick. 

As far as the rookies go, it's these 3 in no particular order: Brown, Beal, Willis. These are my dudes this draft. Love the potential I can see in all 3 of them. However, I think Brown has the best chance to earn a starting spot. I do expect the other 2 to contribute and would be shocked if Willis didn't push the current back ups for reps as a TE 2/3.

11 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

As far as the rookies go, it's these 3 in no particular order: Brown, Beal, Willis. These are my dudes this draft. Love the potential I can see in all 3 of them. However, I think Brown has the best chance to earn a starting spot. I do expect the other 2 to contribute and would be shocked if Willis didn't push the current back ups for reps as a TE 2/3.

I think Willis will climb the depth chart quickly. Latu still learning the TE position might cause early hiccups.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

He hasn't been places yet, that wont happen till next week so he might clear in time. But if he has a injury that lingers that corner depth might start to look weak. 

Sweet start to the season 😆

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanahan leaving the door open for Lance to win the QB1 spot. Obviously Purdy is the big favorite but "nothing is set in stone." He barely mentioned Darnold, who may be a trade target of some teams at the end of camp. 

If Sam is traded I'd be shocked, but also would LMAO, especially at all the media guys saying Sam was the favorite to start over Trey.

• Like 1