Gronk suspended 1 game for elbow drop

Apparition

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I mean it was a shove. A running viscous shove but it is still a shove... Just cause you launch yourself doesn't mean it wasn't a shove... Definition of shove is to push roughly... He pushed the back roughly with his forearm... No idea the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that wasn't a rough push in his back?

Oh, you're going to get technical. OK. Shove means to push roughly. When you think of pushing someone, what part of your body to you usually use? Most people would say their hands. Evans ran full speed at Lattimore and launched into his back with his forearms. That's not a shove.

Either way, you tried to characterize the Gronk hit as being much worse, when it really wasn't. Evans' move was dangerous, and if Gronk deserved more than one game (which I could understand), then so did Evans. Since Evans got one game, Gronk getting one game makes sense.

4 hours ago, childofpudding said:

What JuJu did was actually during the play, however, so it's different. Standing over him afterward is what's bad.

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

There is absolutely rational logic.. literally if you go by how the penalties for violating this rule have been handled (especially in recent years) it's absolutely consistent. That's before taking into account that Gronk really doesn't have much of a track record here. I'm sure there are some outliers, but the ruling on Gronk was very consistent in this case. If you want to argue that the rule as a whole should yield higher penalties, that's another argument. But the way it is now, Gronk got about what he deserved or should have gotten. 

You're dillusional if you think it's been consistent.  Gronk waited until after the whistle and did a WWE Elbow drop on a player.  It's not just that he violated a rule, he grossly did something violent on an entirely more extreme level.   What happened with JuJu Smith was that he led on a block with his shoulder, contacted with his helmet.  What made it look bad is the taunting.  Iloka launched himself at Brown with his helmet.   JuJu's actions were the least severe of the 3.

9 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Oh, you're going to get technical. OK. Shove means to push roughly. When you think of pushing someone, what part of your body to you usually use? Most people would say their hands. Evans ran full speed at Lattimore and launched into his back with his forearms. That's not a shove.

Evans...i mean that was just a load of b.s.  It was even worse than the Gronk thing, it started a full on brawl.

9 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Let me make myself clear though, there are bias' towards many teams at different times.  In the media, it really depends on the topic of discussion.

Don't want to derail the thread, but I think the media prioritise whoever the hottest team is, and whoever has the most followers - to get clicks and readers. And I completely refute that the NFL take our side - we had our star player banned for 4 games for something that was thrown out of court for lack of evidence, for crying out loud. 

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What's worse, this or Burfict trying to snap ankles ? (Just wondering, not making any point).

They are equal in my opinion.

Both are egregious acts AFTER the play that are entirely unnecessary with no outcomes other than injuries or fights leading to ejections.

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

They are equal in my opinion.

Both are egregious acts AFTER the play that are entirely unnecessary with no outcomes other than injuries or fights leading to ejections.

Agreed. Both had the intent to injure. I think Burficts play however  is harder to tell if it was intentional based off video. I think everyone knows it was intentional based off prior history but if you just look at the video of that play without knowing his past it doesn't look like much.

2 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Agreed. Both had the intent to injure. I think Burficts play however  is harder to tell if it was intentional based off video. I think everyone knows it was intentional based off prior history but if you just look at the video of that play without knowing his past it doesn't look like much.

Huh? He yanks the ankle in the exact way you would if trying to break it...

47 minutes ago, TheMonarch1110 said:

There are actually people that think JuJu's block was dirty? Looks clean as day to me.

At full speed i though Juju's block was a Hines Ward rule hit.  in slow mo it is more of a clean hit with the helmets hitting incidentally.  I totally understand the flag.

17 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Huh? He yanks the ankle in the exact way you would if trying to break it...

It was a slight twist on a ankle tackle is kinda what I mean by that. It's not like Cam wasn't lying on the ground and Burfict ran up grabbed his ankle and started twisting... Like I said I do think it was intentional but just harder to prove than what Gronk did. Burfict just did a better job of concealing the cheap shot. Kinda like when a player sacks the QB and pushes the QBs head into the turf when he gets up... I think that is more equivalent to what Burfict did.

Archived