Gronk suspended 1 game for elbow drop

Apparition

@jrry32, I know you practice, but I think you need to stop viewing this in the context of a court. There are no defined rules or due process here. There is no advocacy, consistency, or precedent that needs to be looked at. The NFL, simply, can do what they will under the CBA on a case by case basis. 

This was worse than Crabtree vs Talib, worse than Mike Evans push, worse than AJ Green vs Ramsey, worse then Danny Trevathan's hit.

And he only got one game. And he's appealing it? Freaking garbage. If this was done outside of a football stadium, Gronkowski is not only arrested for assault but he's also getting sued for millions. 

IDGAD if he's a first time offender, that shouldn't matter. First time murders don't get shown leniency, neither should Gronk. A minimum of 3 games and a huge fine.

Frankly, if the Patriots don't step in and suspend him for at least an additional game, it will look bad on their part. This is bogus.

32 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

@jrry32, I know you practice, but I think you need to stop viewing this in the context of a court. There are no defined rules or due process here. There is no advocacy, consistency, or precedent that needs to be looked at. The NFL, simply, can do what they will under the CBA on a case by case basis. 

If the NFL didn't act so arbitrarily, it wouldn't continue to have such bad PR from its decisions. It would benefit from a consistent process.

20 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

This was worse than Crabtree vs Talib, worse than Mike Evans push, worse than AJ Green vs Ramsey, worse then Danny Trevathan's hit.

And he only got one game. And he's appealing it? Freaking garbage. If this was done outside of a football stadium, Gronkowski is not only arrested for assault but he's also getting sued for millions. 

IDGAD if he's a first time offender, that shouldn't matter. First time murders don't get shown leniency, neither should Gronk. A minimum of 3 games and a huge fine.

Frankly, if the Patriots don't step in and suspend him for at least an additional game, it will look bad on their part. This is bogus.

1. Wasn't worse than Adam Jones a few years ago which only got a fine. And that was legitimately worse as you could argue Jones used his helmet at as weapon. 

2. NFLPA is going to force an appeal. 

3. No way the Patriots sit him for the Steelers game. Could see him sitting for the Bills game the week after 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Sure but it would be within the parameters of the established limits of THAT crime and it would largely be based of precedents and how it's been handled in the past. In this specific instance, Gronk is being charged with the same penalty other players have, and regardless of the end result the punishment has not fluctuated much. In fact you could make a real argument that some guys who were repeat offenders got off with fines for as egregious if not more egregious actions. So for a first time offender, the difference between a suspension and a fine here might have been the result. Either way you are arguing for them to break precedent.

Your continued downplaying of what he did by citing silly things like this is absurd. No one has ever done anything as egregious as Gronk multiple times and not been suspended. It's as blatant a cheapshot as there has ever been: up big, late in the game, play clearly dead, player down for seconds and then Gronk strikes. Enough excuses from you guys, it's pathetic.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Your continued downplaying of what he did by citing silly things like this is absurd. No one has ever done anything as egregious as Gronk multiple times and not been suspended. It's as blatant a cheapshot as there has ever been: up big, late in the game, play clearly dead, player down for seconds and then Gronk strikes. Enough excuses from you guys, it's pathetic.

I said I expected one game and that I was fine with one game. 

I'm not down playing it. I'm saying if you look historically at these offenses one game is generally the mean. Whether it's less bad, just as bad, or worse. Adam Jones who has a history of having issues smashed a players head against his helmet on the ground and didn't get worse than Gronk. 

You simply cannot look at the history of these penalties and make a case that Gronk is the worst one or that he is being under punished. It's consistent with everything else. These punishments generally get about a game regardless of severity and he doesn't have a history like guys like Suh and Burfict who spent years skating by. 

They just don't simply penalize this nearly as severly as some in this thread are askinh. If you are going to argue the rule as a whole should be enforced more severely so that you can get to a point where Gronk gets a much larger suspension, that's a more legitimate argument. 

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I said I expected one game and that I was fine with one game. 

I'm not down playing it. I'm saying if you look historically at these offenses one game is generally the mean. Whether it's less bad, just as bad, or worse. Adam Jones who has a history of having issues smashed a players head against his helmet on the ground and didn't get worse than Gronk. 

You simply cannot look at the history of these penalties and make a case that Gronk is the worst one or that he is being under punished. It's consistent with everything else. These punishments generally get about a game regardless of severity and he doesn't have a history like guys like Suh and Burfict who spent years skating by. 

They just don't simply penalize this nearly as severly as some in this thread are askinh. If you are going to argue the rule as a whole should be enforced more severely so that you can get to a point where Gronk gets a much larger suspension, that's a more legitimate argument. 

Heres my problem with this though...

When Albert Haynesworth stomped dudes head, he got an unprecedented 5 game suspension.  He had never been suspended before for an on field incident to my knowledge and he got a suspension more than twice as long as anybody had ever gotten for an on field incident.  So the NFL does have a precedent of being more harsh for severe and deliberate acts of aggression after the play even if the player had no previous incidents.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If the NFL didn't act so arbitrarily, it wouldn't continue to have such bad PR from its decisions. It would benefit from a consistent process.

It certainly would, but I think the league office likes that they have the ability to be flexible in their decision making. 

Archived