Gronk suspended 1 game for elbow drop

Apparition

6 hours ago, Starless said:

I hope he doesn't appeal. Just take the one game and be glad it wasn't more.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

He’s appealing.  SMH. 

6 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

1 game may have been light but reasonable. First time offender, no real history of being a dirty player, etc. Him appealing is ridiculous. What a d-bag.

I would imagine the NFLPA, much like the MLBPA, encourages players to always appeal, no matter what.

5 hours ago, SammyBradwater said:

One game is a joke, honestly. Should be four at least.

Reminds me of Charles Martin picking up McMahon and slamming him into the ground back in 86.  Dirty, no excuse, incredibly dangerous.

Remember kids, smoke a little marijuana and you'll be banned, but pull some garbage like Gronk and you only get a game!

Can we just all agree on a moratorium of trying to compare things to the substance abuse suspensions?  It is not intended to necessarily be proportional or communicate equivalence.  These types of comments just aren't super useful to productive conversations.  If you want to argue that drug suspensions should be lower or nonexistent, have that conversation on its own merits.

37 minutes ago, grubs10 said:
46 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

It certainly would, but I think the league office likes that they have the ability to be flexible in their decision making. 

For the most morally pure reasons of course.

They have owners to appease 

Don't see what being a 1st time offender means. Intentionally attacking someone outside of the confines of a football play while the play is obviously over should yield more than 1 game regardless of it being a 1st time offense.  Making aggressive football plays is vastly different than intentionally trying to injure someone after a play is over.

10 minutes ago, Malik said:

Don't see what being a 1st time offender means. Intentionally attacking someone outside of the confines of a football play while the play is obviously over should yield more than 1 game regardless of it being a 1st time offense.  Making aggressive football plays is vastly different than intentionally trying to injure someone after a play is over.

I think you have to think of the reverse of what you’re saying - does someone who has done this routinely deserve the same suspension as someone who does it for the first time? IMO no, see Burfict/Suh. Track record makes a difference for me. 

That said, I expected 2 and thinks Gronk would be lucky for that. 

What Gronk did was a total bonehead move but for crying out loud, everyone is making it out to be the most egregious offense in the history of the NFL. Some sports writers are calling for multiple game suspension where there is no precedence for it. Gronk made a poor decision but let's be honest, is it a worse offense than anything Suh has done, or Burfict, or Harrison, or Suggs....you get my drift. smdh

Breaking News the Miami Dolphins are bringing Bernard Pollard out of retirement for one game due to Gronks appeal. 

Gronk is a peanut head. Everyone that ever heard him talk would agree on this. Phenomenal football talent, peanut size brain. One game is appropriate imo. I wonder what kind of lecture Belichick gave him.  

19 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Breaking News the Miami Dolphins are bringing Bernard Pollard out of retirement for one game due to Gronks appeal. 

Gronk is a peanut head. Everyone that ever heard him talk would agree on this. Phenomenal football talent, peanut size brain. One game is appropriate imo. I wonder what kind of lecture Belichick gave him.  

No lecture. Gronk just has to sit in Bill's office for one hour, in total silence, while Bill makes this face...

pg2_ap_belichick_mad1_600.jpg

So Vontaze Burfict got carted off the field after Juju destroyed him with an illegal crack block.  Don't see anyone calling for Juju to get suspended here.

Personally, I think Juju's hit was a little more reasonable than Gronk's but, it looks like Burfict got concussed from the blind hit.  Neither Gronk or Juju were intentionally trying to give their opponents CTE here...but they were both pretty salty and decided to take it out on the field however they could.

So, for everyone that posted and is calling for Gronk's head or a 4+ game suspension, you're either a Pats/Gronk hater or you should be on a soap box calling for similar punishments for Juju.  

If I got to make the call, I'd put a 2 game suspension on Gronk and then a 1 gamer + heavy fine on Juju

16 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Evans got hit with 1 game for a shove from behind.

14 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

This was worse than Crabtree vs Talib, worse than Mike Evans push, worse than AJ Green vs Ramsey, worse then Danny Trevathan's hit.

Calling what Evans did a shove or a push basically delegitimizes the rest of your argument. What Evans did was a full-speed elbow to the back, leaving his feet in the process, well after the play was over. It was a very dangerous play. Gronk hitting the head is also very dangerous. Bottom line, if Evans got one game, then one game for Gronk seems about right.

Funny how this thread is filled with people crying that Gronk got off light and that he's appealing, while the Evans thread is pretty quiet on both those fronts.

jameis.0.gif

Archived