If Jordan Love is a superstar like Favre/Rodgers, don't the Packers deserve to America's Team?

Championshiporbust

21 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I'm not sure what year, exactly, NFL Films dubbed Dallas as "America's Team" but it came during the run of Meredith-Staubach-White, which resulted in 2 titles over about 20 yrs, so it isn't as if they were the Brady Patriots/Jordan Bulls/Jeter Yankees either.

True, but I was just going by the logic the OP used, and I dont believe having a string of good QBs is really an argument for being "America's Team".  B|

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

I would imagine there's not a lot of night/social life in Green Bay. A 4H fair on a Saturday morning isn't going to cut it. On the point of players growing to like it there, you would think that word would get around among the players that being in GB is a good experience.

First off, you are right.  While there is night/social life, it is not big city night/social life at all. (I lived in GB when I was young, I totally get it.)

But, we fans of GB have noticed certain things concerning drafted players.  Character counts.  The love of football counts.  Add in religion and you have the attention of the front office.

If a kid really loves football and wants to focus on football, GB is a fine place to be.  These players are icons in the community and there is some fame and prestige given to the young kids pretty quick in Green Bay.  The club is known for developing talent.

But, if a kid wants night life during the season?  Yeah, not a good place for him.  If he wants to get a little big of the Big City feel, guys used to head to Milwaukee.  And I'm not sure that Milwaukee fits the bill of Big City either.  

It really comes down to the person or player.  We tend to like these prospects that have a deep love of football, family and religion.

I don’t live in America, but I thought DAL was “America’s team” because they STILL (somehow) garner the most viewers on average, and are the richest franchise in possibly all of sports, worldwide? 

the bandwagon fans surely moved on 20 years ago

• Like 1

Regardless of how Love's career goes, I already think of the Packers in that light. Even though I dislike them. You can argue their unique history and ownership by committee exemplify American excellence more so than teams with wealthy owners who operate like feudal lords. Even when they don't do well, they still have that going for them.

I still think the Giants are the real team of America due to their huge market, better colors, and representing one of the most famous cities in the world. But I don't mind handing off second place to the cheeseheads. 🍻

Edited by y*so*blu

On 7/26/2023 at 2:56 PM, Mr.UFO said:

I would imagine there's not a lot of night/social life in Green Bay. A 4H fair on a Saturday morning isn't going to cut it.

....how small do you think GB is? 

There aren't a lot of velvet rope/bottle service "let people see how rich/important I am" places, but that could be said of about 75% of the league's cities. If you want to see a full discussion of GB's merits/lack thereof, it's annually litigated in the GB forum. Suffice it to say, I've lived in Milwaukee and visited several other NFL cities, and aside from a lack of Diddy-level clubs, the GB/Appleton (Appleton is about 30 mi away, and in this part of the country 1 mi = 1 minute, so it's as quick to get to as any part of Chi/NY/LA/SF is to any other) area has about 500ish K people, and pretty much any reasonable amenity you'd want. There are other pluses and minuses, but it isn't an area that rolls up the streets at 8 pm, there are a good number of excellent restaurants, regular shows, etc. The main negatives would be a lack of ethnic diversity (improving) and the weather (not going to improve), though even with a SB run the players pretty much only have to face about 2 mos of winter and generally avoid the long tail (when it's May and you're like "warm the F up already").  It's also a bit of a fishbowl environment - where in LA Matt Stafford or Justin Herbert can go around and not be bothered, in GB everyone knows who pretty much all the players are. 

TLDR - GB has plenty of nice places but lacks bumpin' clubs; then again, if having a plethora of bumpin' clubs is a key factor in a FAs decision-making I don't know that I'd want to give that guy an 8 figure signing bonus anyway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

If a kid really loves football and wants to focus on football, GB is a fine place to be.  These players are icons in the community and there is some fame and prestige given to the young kids pretty quick in Green Bay.  The club is known for developing talent.

But, if a kid wants night life during the season?  Yeah, not a good place for him.  If he wants to get a little big of the Big City feel, guys used to head to Milwaukee.  And I'm not sure that Milwaukee fits the bill of Big City either.  

I've visited several NFL cities, and really what places DO have those sorts of "big city" clubs? Obviously NY, LA, Vegas, Miami, Atlanta ....but I think then it gets thin real fast - maybe Houston? probably Boston? 

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Population of Milwaukee: 569,330

Not huge, but not Mayberry either. It's a major city. Somehow, Green Bay avoided losing the Packers to Milwaukee (or somewhere else) when other small town NFL teams moved to large cities in the 1920s and 30s. Green Bay is the delightful dinosaur of the NFL.

10 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

Not huge, but not Mayberry either. It's a major city. Somehow, Green Bay avoided losing the Packers to Milwaukee (or somewhere else) when other small town NFL teams moved to large cities in the 1920s and 30s. Green Bay is the delightful dinosaur of the NFL.

When the NFL was in its infancy most of the teams were in small towns.  I don't consider GB the dinosaur of the NFL (We are not the oldest franchise.  That distinction belongs to the Cardinals.) but we are the last remnant all of those teams who couldn't survive.  The city leaders and businessmen in GB helped fund the team, and why we are publicly owned, and kept it solvent until television and revenue sharing came to the rescue.  If you look at the financial statements reported every year most of the Packers' income comes from the monies from the television networks.  My Packers' stock was purchased by my grandfather back in 1950 and passed down to me back in the early 80s.

16 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

....how small do you think GB is? 

There aren't a lot of velvet rope/bottle service "let people see how rich/important I am" places, but that could be said of about 75% of the league's cities. If you want to see a full discussion of GB's merits/lack thereof, it's annually litigated in the GB forum. Suffice it to say, I've lived in Milwaukee and visited several other NFL cities, and aside from a lack of Diddy-level clubs, the GB/Appleton (Appleton is about 30 mi away, and in this part of the country 1 mi = 1 minute, so it's as quick to get to as any part of Chi/NY/LA/SF is to any other) area has about 500ish K people, and pretty much any reasonable amenity you'd want. There are other pluses and minuses, but it isn't an area that rolls up the streets at 8 pm, there are a good number of excellent restaurants, regular shows, etc. The main negatives would be a lack of ethnic diversity (improving) and the weather (not going to improve), though even with a SB run the players pretty much only have to face about 2 mos of winter and generally avoid the long tail (when it's May and you're like "warm the F up already").  It's also a bit of a fishbowl environment - where in LA Matt Stafford or Justin Herbert can go around and not be bothered, in GB everyone knows who pretty much all the players are. 

TLDR - GB has plenty of nice places but lacks bumpin' clubs; then again, if having a plethora of bumpin' clubs is a key factor in a FAs decision-making I don't know that I'd want to give that guy an 8 figure signing bonus anyway. 

A lot of it is about culture. I understand why a black millionaire in his early-mid 20s wouldn't want to live in rural white Wisconsin. While the surrounding area like Appleton has improved greatly over the years, it still doesn't come close to other cities in terms of diversity and things to do outside of football.

Edited by StatKing

On 7/27/2023 at 6:21 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

I've visited several NFL cities, and really what places DO have those sorts of "big city" clubs? Obviously NY, LA, Vegas, Miami, Atlanta ....but I think then it gets thin real fast - maybe Houston? probably Boston? 

Man, most NFL cities are going to have a night life that by far exceeds that of Green Bay.  

Even Indy has a better downtown and night scene.

That just isn't GB's thing.  And never will be.

And that is awesome by me.  It's a great community to grow up in, raise a family in and focus on your craft, football.

On 7/27/2023 at 9:24 PM, Mr.UFO said:

Didn't say it wasn't a major city.  I live around Milwaukee.

It is an interesting city because downtown is so old.  They keep renovating it, and the FiServ really helped that out.  But it is odd to me in how it is segregated for night life.  There's downtown, kind of an entertainment district and pseudo college bars, then you have the third ward and Brady Street.  Each is different from the others.  And one of my favorite bars is in a neighborhood.  Wolski's.  Yeah, I have closed Wolskis.  ( I know that @beekay414 has as well! )

I'm was really hoping they would find a way to get Fiserv next to Miller Park (F-You American Family), and create a true entertainment district.  But alas, it didn't happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man, most NFL cities are going to have a night life that by far exceeds that of Green Bay.  

Even Indy has a better downtown and night scene.

That just isn't GB's thing.  And never will be.

And that is awesome by me.  It's a great community to grow up in, raise a family in and focus on your craft, football.

I was talking about a very particular type of high-end club. Obviously GB doesn't have anything that necessarily compares to even Milwaukee's water Street (though College Ave in Appleton Is Ok) I was just noting that of the type of nightlife that people (or maybe it's just me) think big ticket athletes desire only exists in a handful of cities

39 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I was talking about a very particular type of high-end club. Obviously GB doesn't have anything that necessarily compares to even Milwaukee's water Street (though College Ave in Appleton Is Ok) I was just noting that of the type of nightlife that people (or maybe it's just me) think big ticket athletes desire only exists in a handful of cities

I know you were.

And my point is this...the Green Bay club life, or night life, is bad even by the standards of low night life/club life cities.  It's almost non-existent when compared to those.

And that is just fine.