If Jordan Love is a superstar like Favre/Rodgers, don't the Packers deserve to America's Team?

Championshiporbust

As someone else said, it's just a nickname... But it's Dallas' nickname. It's not really a title bestowed imo

Plus, if you go to a pretty basic level, no team gets eyeballs as consistently as the cowboys. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

That would be like saying the Chicago Bulls are America's team. They are not.

I don’t even know what it means to be “America’s team,” but the Bulls certainly had the “bragging rights” in the 90s.

Edited by malak1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, malak1 said:

I don’t even know what it means to be “America’s team,” but the Bulls certainly had the “bragging rights” in the 90s.

Bulls were certainly the bandwagon team of the 90s.  There were kids that were "die hard Bulls fans" that I went to high school with, who had never even been to Chicago.  But they had Jordan, and the media hype that went with the best player ever.  

Like I said, it is just a nickname though.

As good as Rodgers and Favre both were in their respective primes, it only translated to two championships and 3 total SB appearances.

Mahomes has accomplished that feat already at 27 years old.

Not meant to knock Favre, Rodgers or the Packers....but team success and championships are far more important than having a string of great QBs.   

Packers are an iconic franchise that already have bragging rights, and again, "America's Team" is just a lame, outdated nickname coined in a bygone era.

And beyond all that, lets see if Jordan Love is even "decent", because we have yet see even that much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jofos said:

While I don't think the Packers are poorly run or anything but two Super Bowls in 30 years? Is that impressive? 10 teams have won Super Bowls since the Packers last won with one of those teams KC winning two out of three and NE winning three out of five. 

I think there are valid points to say the Packers were poorly run during Favre the Rodgers careers.  But, when you define "poorly" you have to say that the goal was to at least get to other Super Bowls.  Because in terms of wins and losses, they were not poorly run.  Just didn't make the really big moves to put them over the top again.

But yeah, TT didn't really "go for it".  Losing Holmgren and having him as a lame duck coach hurt that squad big time.

And Rodgers?  We never really found a defense for him.  We had players, we drafted defense early and often, but somehow the defense never took off, like maybe it was poor defensive coordinators.

But I do think it is fair to criticize management concerning the careers of those two QB's.

And....should Love turn into something good at QB?  GB can be renamed to "Entitled Town".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I believe there are 4 teams who have national fanbases - Dallas, Green Bay, Las Vegas, and Pittsburgh (order is alphabetical)

Any of them would have a claim as "America's Team" based on historical popularity.

49ers definitely have a national fanbase.  Especially from carryover from the 80's-90's.  As someone who has always lived on the East Coast, and travels for a game or 2 a year, they "travel" as well any other fanbase seems to.  After Dallas and Pittsburgh, SF is right there with anybody.  You can find longtime Niner fans anywhere in the US.   Any team that had a dynasty period has a large national following.  Patriots will start being like that as more of their "bandwagon" style fans move through adulthood.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think there are valid points to say the Packers were poorly run during Favre the Rodgers careers.  But, when you define "poorly" you have to say that the goal was to at least get to other Super Bowls.  Because in terms of wins and losses, they were not poorly run.  Just didn't make the really big moves to put them over the top again.

But yeah, TT didn't really "go for it".  Losing Holmgren and having him as a lame duck coach hurt that squad big time.

And Rodgers?  We never really found a defense for him.  We had players, we drafted defense early and often, but somehow the defense never took off, like maybe it was poor defensive coordinators.

But I do think it is fair to criticize management concerning the careers of those two QB's.

And....should Love turn into something good at QB?  GB can be renamed to "Entitled Town".

Green Bay was poorly run for 25 years after the Lombardi era.  During those Dark Ages GB made the playoffs only twice and one of those was the strike shortened 1982 season.  I endured those days when other coaches and GMs would motivate their players by threatening to send them to the Siberia of the NFL if they didn't shape up.  Since 1993 GB missed the playoffs only 8 times.  Yes, the ultimate goal is a SB but 3 decades of mostly winning seasons is nothing to sneeze at.  There are several franchises who have never won a SB and a couple who never even appeared in one.

Edited by Pugger

On 7/24/2023 at 11:41 AM, Championshiporbust said:

They should be a team that free agents want to play for.....they had the two best QBs over the past 3 decades with 3 SB appearances....that's a well-run organization...

Have you ever lived in Green Bay?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Green Bay was poorly run for 25 years after the Lombardi era.  During those Dark Ages GB made the playoffs only twice and one of those was the strike shortened 1982 season.  I endured those days when other coaches and GMs would motivate their players by threatening to send them to the Siberia of the NFL if they didn't shape up.  Since 1993 GB missed the playoffs only 8 times.  Yes, the ultimate goal is a SB but 3 decades of mostly winning seasons is nothing to sneeze at.  There are several franchises who have never won a SB and a couple who never even appeared in one.

How many Super Bowls did San Fran win with Montana and Young?

Because that is what we are talking about here when criticizing the GB front office during the Favre / Rodgers years.

Championships played in and won.

GB has 3 with 2 wins.

Label it however you want, success that is.  Sure GB was successful during that time.  And surely it should have led to more SB appearances and/or wins.  That is the debate.  

Eli Manning has as many Super Bowl rings as Favre and Rodgers combined.   Let that really sink in and let me know if GB's management of the rosters over that time period was really that good.

9 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

49ers definitely have a national fanbase.  Especially from carryover from the 80's-90's.  As someone who has always lived on the East Coast, and travels for a game or 2 a year, they "travel" as well any other fanbase seems to.  After Dallas and Pittsburgh, SF is right there with anybody.  You can find longtime Niner fans anywhere in the US.   Any team that had a dynasty period has a large national following.  Patriots will start being like that as more of their "bandwagon" style fans move through adulthood.  

You're definitely correct about the 9ers, my mistake. 

We'll see about the Pats. I feel like younger generations are a bit more fickle, or at least more fans of players than of laundry.