Training Camp General Discussion

AZBearsFan

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Isn’t that what we’ve been hearing all camp though, that he has been taking the shorter stuff, even to the point of some guys (Braggs mostly) lamenting the lack of stuff down field? It’s certainly what we saw in the limited sample size last weekend. 

Nah, they've made him too timid, he's lost the killer instinct and will never make it since he's not using his legs or hitting those deep balls.

(sorry, this was meant to be a sarcastic take on the fans and media men who keep suggesting Fields should have been passing short when running for his life last year, who are also now suggesting he shouldn't be running/howitzering when he's spent all camp working hard at what he wasn't doing last year.   Sarcasm doesn't travel by wire so well, I think they're doing just right by him right now and think he's prepping well)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

From a practical standpoint I don’t think they’d just outright cut Walker in favor of someone who has never run our offense before. To be honest if Fields got seriously hurt and misses a lot of time I’d rather have us having an underwhelming QB2 in what would then be a lost season anyway. 

Yeah that is what I am saying...don't think of Bagent as a #2...that is way too lofty at this point...but could I see us keep him as a #3 with a different #2 QB than Walker? The way things are going it's possible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

From a practical standpoint I don’t think they’d just outright cut Walker in favor of someone who has never run our offense before. To be honest if Fields got seriously hurt and misses a lot of time I’d rather have us having an underwhelming QB2 in what would then be a lost season anyway. 

I would cut Walker, but I would have never signed him in first place.  I think he is not good.

If Fields gets seriously hurt and is out for year I hope we lose any and all of our remaining games.  

Throw Bagent out there and let him play it out.  

In practice reps I have seen Peterman is 2nd best qb on team and it isn’t really close.  And we kind of know who Peterman is in league at this point.

Bagent is most talented after Fields.  He gets so few reps though, that isn’t really developing anything to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Josh Johnson has played for 7 teams and been on the roster of several others for a reason. He isn’t any good either. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was on a load of rosters too and he did some nice things towards the end of his career. I’m not saying Josh Johnson is going to win us a Super Bowl, but based on what I’ve seen from Walker so far I would choose Johnson. 

zing

As a former coach it really bothers me that coaches don’t talk through fundamental reps in practice.

Don’t leave everything for film. The muscle memory is now.  Always be teaching. 

We didn’t always win every game when I coached, but I took a lot of pride in my kids being fundamentally sound.

You definitely wanted to play us early in year, because we kept working on it throughout season.  

We would always sacrifice scheme early to work fundamentals. 

At least Flus teams work fundamentals every practice.  Nagy teams didn’t so much. 

On 8/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, chisoxguy7 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was on a load of rosters too and he did some nice things towards the end of his career. I’m not saying Josh Johnson is going to win us a Super Bowl, but based on what I’ve seen from Walker so far I would choose Johnson. 

zing

Fitz actually played though, no? He was a journeyman starter. Johnson is the guy teams call when their backup needs a backup. That’s not exactly apples to apples.

I don’t like Walker as QB2 either - he’s just a guy - but we also have a QB1 who has zero chance of being benched, so those “top of market” QB2s probably don’t look at Chicago as a premier destination either. Walker’s eventual successor as QB2 probably needs to be an organically grown one rather than one we find on the market in August if we want any kind of significant upgrade. It would stand to reason that the hope is that Bagent becomes QB2 in time.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He can do better obviously, being lazy.

But then why doesn't the coach correct him? Part of the appeal for Eberflus was supposed to be the fact he was so detailed and demanding on those details. HITS and all that. Oh well. Just means Johnson will likely pass him up even faster.

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

But then why doesn't the coach correct him? Part of the appeal for Eberflus was supposed to be the fact he was so detailed and demanding on those details. HITS and all that. Oh well. Just means Johnson will likely pass him up even faster.

Eberflus probably would.   Whoever was running that drill wasn't.

I see a lot of coaches at all levels do drills like that.   MS, HS, College and Pro.   Just fly through the reps with no advice or correction. 

I personally can't stand it.

You don't have to say something EVERY time, but I usually did.   Another guys I coached with did too.

Often it is just 'good job' or 'nice' or 'get lower' or 'hand placement' or 'butt down' or 'head up' or "roll your hips' or whatever small or large correction was needed. 

Sometimes I say ' That sucked. Do it again'.   You keep drill moving fast though.  

They are pros and grown men, I get it that it can be hard to look like you are talking 'down' to them sometimes.   

Maybe pro coaches are like, do it right or move down depth chart.  I told you right way to do it already, up to you.  Be self motivated.  

I personally think it is just player being lazy and coach being lazy in a quick 'meaningless' to them warm up drill.  

I don't think any drills are meaningless.  If we are doing something in limited practice time, it means something to me.

• Like 1