B1G Adding Oregon+Washington and Exploring Cal+Stanford

ramssuperbowl99

14 hours ago, NateDawg said:

How many teams will it take to re-think the name of this conference

No amount.  They haven't been 10 teams in over 30 years, why would they change it now.  At any point anyway, there's probably only 10 relevant teams in any given sport in the conference...except for hockey, since there's only 6 teams in it...ironically enough which includes Notre Dame.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Am I the only one that thinks that Florida State and the B1G make no sense?  Feels like the SEC is their endgame.

Academically, they wouldn't be anywhere near a fit.  Surprisingly, the U is a better fit academically than FSU.  

People may think I'm silly, but academics are still hugely important to the B1G. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Academically, they wouldn't be anywhere near a fit.  Surprisingly, the U is a better fit academically than FSU.  

People may think I'm silly, but academics are still hugely important to the B1G. 

I don't understand why this is a minority opinion. The B1G is overflowing with football money, it'd be infinitely easier and cheaper to turn a middling football school into a powerhouse sports school than it would be to turn a good football school into a decent research institution. The only things you can't buy in this sport are institutional history and academic integrity, and that's precisely what the B1G is prioritizing.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't understand why this is a minority opinion. The B1G is overflowing with football money, it'd be infinitely easier and cheaper to turn a middling football school into a powerhouse sports school than it would be to turn a good football school into a decent research institution. The only things you can't buy in this sport are institutional history and academic integrity, and that's precisely what the B1G is prioritizing.

I don't know either, but people always wonder why they took schools like Rutgers and Maryland...and the academics are the reason why (along with the location).  The success in football is secondary. 

56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't know either, but people always wonder why they took schools like Rutgers and Maryland...and the academics are the reason why (along with the location).  The success in football is secondary. 

Now try to Big Brain explain Nebraska

that one was an entire group of presidents brain fart

9 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Now try to Big Brain explain Nebraska

that one was an entire group of presidents brain fart

When Nebraska's invite was accepted, they were a member of the AAU (which has generally been a requirement of membership in the B1G), however, they left it prior to actually starting in the B1G. They aren't a terrible academic school.  They aren't elite like the other members, but they aren't a red-headed stepchild either.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No, they just chose to play like it on the field instead. 

I have no comments on that other than to say it's nice to see, because I'm old enough to have watched them back in the Big Eight days destroying my home state Gophers in non-conference on a regular basis.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Tell that to Vanderbilt.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Tell that to Vanderbilt.

I think they'd agree with me. The best years in Vanderbilt's history since the Harvard/Princeton football days have come in the last decade, including 6 of their 9 total bowl appearances. Sure they aren't winning 10 games, but the trend is pretty clearly up comparatively.