B1G Adding Oregon+Washington and Exploring Cal+Stanford

ramssuperbowl99

If Cal and Stanford do in fact get accepted into the Big Ten, the big four schools in California need to create a traveling trophy that gets awarded to the team who has the best H2H record against the others in football every year. Having been together so long I'm surprised they haven't done that already.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This would be a win/win I guess

Feel like if the Big 12 is going to expand to 18, it's going to be a couple of non-football programs (i.e. UConn and Gonzaga) rather than diluting the pool with Washington State and Oregon State.

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

So will the ACC survive this re-alignment or are we going to be left with 3 mega conferences in 2-3 years? From what I read the big boys of the ACC are less than pleased with the TV deal they're stuck in. 

ACC will inevitably break up you'd have to imagine.  You've got Clemson, Florida State, and Miami as the premier programs.  You'd think that the SEC would a better fit for them than the B1G.  Assuming those 3 went to the SEC, they'd need at least 1 more to join unless they're going to a 24-team conference.

“For BTN, it was a chance to enter Philadelphia, New Jersey, Washington D.C., Baltimore and New York City. Then-BTN president Mark Silverman called the expansion “a different kind of reasoning.”

“Usually, you expand to bring in a premier program athletically,” said Silverman, who ran BTN from its launch in 2007 through 2018. “Nebraska was more of a brand play than a population cable-homes play.

“Rutgers and Maryland, I think the three or four objectives there were to spread the Big Ten into a new area that would help with recruiting and help with being a dominant college conference in a very populous part of the country.  It was to get BTN subscribers.”

This was the Big 10’s strategy. It’s not about academics or sport prowess. They wanted in these markets.

They have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to money. It’s why they were the first to create their own network and the first to completely split off from ESPN.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Feel like if the Big 12 is going to expand to 18, it's going to be a couple of non-football programs (i.e. UConn and Gonzaga) rather than diluting the pool with Washington State and Oregon State.

Giving up on adding football teams feels very premature to me. If/when the ACC breaks up, there are going to be good football programs in limbo. Even if the SEC takes FSU, Clemson, and Miami, and the B1G takes Duke and UNC, that leaves Virginia (who is B1G worthy to me), BC, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, and VTech all in the cold, in different media markets than the Big 12 has access to right now.

To me, the value of Washington State/Oregon State in the Big 12 is that you have the same type of all day conference football that the B1G now does. No network is going to want to commit to a long term, mega-money TV deal for 2 super conferences, so making sure you have all the timeslots covered is the new bar conferences need to meet.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Giving up on adding football teams feels very premature to me. If/when the ACC breaks up, there are going to be good football programs in limbo. Even if the SEC takes FSU, Clemson, and Miami, and the B1G takes Duke and UNC, that leaves Virginia (who is B1G worthy to me), BC, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, and VTech all in the cold, in different media markets than the Big 12 has access to right now.

To me, the value of Washington State/Oregon State in the Big 12 is that you have the same type of all day conference football that the B1G now does. No network is going to want to commit to a long term, mega-money TV deal for 2 super conferences, so making sure you have all the timeslots covered is the new bar conferences need to meet.

I think I'm speaking specifically as of right now.  Unless there's more movement on the Florida State front, I think the ACC is together until the next realighment project.  The remnants of the ACC (after the SEC and B1G pillage them) probably end up folding into the Big 12.  But for now, my guess is you'll see them add Gonzaga and UConn as non-football programs.

Washington State and Oregon State are like the ugly stepchild.  There's really nothing that gives them value to the Big 12.  It's not like Cal and Stanford who are both prestigious academic institutions.  They're subpar on-the-field products and substandard (compared to Cal and Stanford) academic institutions.  I think we're going to see more "late night" Big 12 games than we did before.  Just using Oklahoma for example, they only had 4 games (Kent State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech) play at 6 PM EST or later.  That's 4 of their 12 games which is identical to teams like Michigan and Ohio State.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think I'm speaking specifically as of right now.  Unless there's more movement on the Florida State front, I think the ACC is together until the next realighment project.  The remnants of the ACC (after the SEC and B1G pillage them) probably end up folding into the Big 12.  But for now, my guess is you'll see them add Gonzaga and UConn as non-football programs.

Washington State and Oregon State are like the ugly stepchild.  There's really nothing that gives them value to the Big 12.  It's not like Cal and Stanford who are both prestigious academic institutions.  They're subpar on-the-field products and substandard (compared to Cal and Stanford) academic institutions.  I think we're going to see more "late night" Big 12 games than we did before.  Just using Oklahoma for example, they only had 4 games (Kent State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech) play at 6 PM EST or later.  That's 4 of their 12 games which is identical to teams like Michigan and Ohio State.

WSU and OrSU would actually achieve the Big 12's goal of being a four-time zone league.

25 minutes ago, pf9 said:

WSU and OrSU would actually achieve the Big 12's goal of being a four-time zone league.

They don't need the Pacific time zone.  They can get later games simply by their additions of Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah.  Oregon State and Washington State seem inevitably headed to the MWC.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They don't need the Pacific time zone.  They can get later games simply by their additions of Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah.  Oregon State and Washington State seem inevitably headed to the MWC.

That would mean ESPN would surrender the PTZ to Fox. And ESPN shouldn't want to do that.

40 minutes ago, pf9 said:

That would mean ESPN would surrender the PTZ to Fox. And ESPN shouldn't want to do that.

They've already done that.  When USC and UCLA followed by Washington and Oregon, ESPN was effectively shut out of the Pacific time zone.