B1G Adding Oregon+Washington and Exploring Cal+Stanford

ramssuperbowl99

As someone who is born + raised in the PNW and grew up with the Apple Cup defining lots of family get togethers, and most of my friends/family have gone to either UW or WSU, this feels really sad. I get that it's the best thing for the bigger schools (UW and Oregon), but OSU and WSU probably completely getting gutted from an athletics standpoint really sucks.

• Like 2

Also, I just found out Arizona State joined the AAU this year. This brings the number of Pac-12 schools in the AAU to 10.

ASU's hockey team has been invited to join the NCHC in 2024. But now that they are AAU, could the Big Ten persuade ASU to join them instead of the NCHC for the sport? Every full Big Ten member except Nebraska is an AAU member.

B1G East: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern

B1G West: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa

If they add Cal and Stanford, they can join the West and the Illinois can move to the East.  Nine division games a year, one crossover, two non-con games.  If they don't join then you either have 3 non-cons or 2 crossovers.

15 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

B1G East: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern

B1G West: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa

If they add Cal and Stanford, they can join the West and the Illinois can move to the East.  Nine division games a year, one crossover, two non-con games.  If they don't join then you either have 3 non-cons or 2 crossovers.

I'd imagine the WC teams will be split, not fair for West OG Big 10 teams to have to play on Pacific time zone, budget for traveler there ect.. while the East teams don't.

B1G North: Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska

B1G South: USC, UCLA, Ohio State, Penn State, Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue

Play your division every year and 3 games out of division to preserve rivalry games like OSU v Michigan, OSC v Oregon etc...

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

As someone who is born + raised in the PNW and grew up with the Apple Cup defining lots of family get togethers, and most of my friends/family have gone to either UW or WSU, this feels really sad. I get that it's the best thing for the bigger schools (UW and Oregon), but OSU and WSU probably completely getting gutted from an athletics standpoint really sucks.

I went through this a little in 2004 and then fully in 2012, as a WVU fan.  It honestly really sucks when your connection to college sports was built through rivalries that just no longer exist.   My family was the same way with WVU, VT and Pitt, and then UMD as a non conference rival.  They've all been shuffled around.  Even playing those schools now hasn't felt near the same.

I get it, but a large part of what made college football so great, for me personally, has just been completely gutted through all of this.  The regional connection is just gone.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd imagine the WC teams will be split, not fair for West OG Big 10 teams to have to play on Pacific time zone, budget for traveler there ect.. while the East teams don't.

B1G North: Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska

B1G South: USC, UCLA, Ohio State, Penn State, Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue

Play your division every year and 3 games out of division to preserve rivalry games like OSU v Michigan, OSC v Oregon etc...

Fair point.  Or they could just do away with any geographical split and make two national divisions and try to split it up relatively equally. 

• Like 1