B1G Adding Oregon+Washington and Exploring Cal+Stanford

ramssuperbowl99

11 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I went through this a little in 2004 and then fully in 2012, as a WVU fan.  It honestly really sucks when your connection to college sports was built through rivalries that just no longer exist.   My family was the same way with WVU, VT and Pitt, and then UMD as a non conference rival.  They've all been shuffled around.  Even playing those schools now hasn't felt near the same.

I get it, but a large part of what made college football so great, for me personally, has just been completely gutted through all of this.  The regional connection is just gone.  

Yeah and that's exactly how I (and basically all of my friends) feel about this. Nobody gains from this except the people making money off of these athletes. The athletes don't gain anything from it, the fans don't gain anything, it's just the admin and people making a profit.

Oh well. Such is the world we live in...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah and that's exactly how I (and basically all of my friends) feel about this. Nobody gains from this except the people making money off of these athletes. The athletes don't gain anything from it, the fans don't gain anything, it's just the admin and people making a profit.

Oh well. Such is the world we live in...

If the B1G stops playing non-conference cupcake games, the fans absolutely benefit. As a Badgers ticket holder, if you have an conflict with one of the early season games, you have to give them away, no one's even paying face to watch UW vs Buffalo. Hell most Badger fans will tune into that on TV for the first half and go spend the rest of their Saturday doing something else. If the Badgers played Oregon, Maryland, Penn State to start the season instead of Buffalo, Washington State and Georgia Southern, that's a whole different story for competitiveness. 

The death of geographical conferences will bring an end to a lot of rivalries, but it should also increase the quality of football game, which is ultimately the most important part of the product. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If the B1G stops playing non-conference cupcake games, the fans absolutely benefit. As a Badgers ticket holder, if you have an conflict with one of the early season games, you have to give them away, no one's even paying face to watch UW vs Buffalo. Hell most Badger fans will tune into that on TV for the first half and go spend the rest of their Saturday doing something else. If the Badgers played Oregon, Maryland, Penn State to start the season instead of Buffalo, Washington State and Georgia Southern, that's a whole different story for competitiveness. 

The death of geographical conferences will bring an end to a lot of rivalries, but it should also increase the quality of football game, which is ultimately the most important part of the product. 

That's assuming a lot about the schedule guidelines. Right now, if it's two 9 team divisions, you're still only playing 8 conference games a season. Need the BIG to actually expand to 20, I think 9 conference games out of 12 is a solid number.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The most important part of the product is a personal decision, and for college a lot of people care about the geography and the rivalry portion. It's perfectly reasonable to mourn that.

• Like 1

Just now, General Tso said:

That's assuming a lot about the schedule guidelines. Right now, if it's two 9 team divisions, you're still only playing 8 conference games a season. Need the BIG to actually expand to 20, I think 9 conference games out of 12 is a solid number.

If you have 17 teams in your conference besides yourself and play 12 games a season, non-conference games need to die. Unless you want to preserve a rivalry game and have 1 non-conference game a year for that purpose, I can get on board with that, but there needs to be a rule that the needs to be P5 (or whatever they'll call it when the Pac12 and ACC die) vs P5. 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The most important part of the product is a personal decision, and for college a lot of people care about the geography and the rivalry portion. It's perfectly reasonable to mourn that.

I never said you couldn't, but this has a benefit to the fans, and to the players too. Better quality football = more consumption of football, more consumption of football leads to more primetime TV slots, more chances for eyes on you to improve both your professional standing and marketability on NIL deals. 

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I never said you couldn't, but this has a benefit to the fans, and to the players too. Better quality football = more consumption of football, more consumption of football leads to more primetime TV slots, more chances for eyes on you to improve both your professional standing and marketability on NIL deals. 

Some fans yes. Other fans very much no.

I agree with you that saying it has no benefit for any fan is inaccurate, but the takeaway from @AFlaccoSeagulls's post (that this was done to limit the distribution of media money to schools outside the top 40-50) is also accurate. And that's a reasonable thing to be pissed about.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I straight up disagree, especially with college football where everything seems to be built on rivalries. And you're always going to have schools that suck and you play them, but now instead of UW traveling to ASU they'll be doing a cross-country flight for a 9am game against Maryland or Duke or something I don't even know. 

I just really don't think fans benefit from these decisions. Or moreover, fans of the bigger schools might benefit (remains to be seen), but the fans of the smaller schools, such as WSU, OSU and those definitively do not benefit.

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Time to go after Stanford and finally force Notre Dames hand.

ND will only join the Big Ten for non-football sports. NBC doesn't want them in Big Ten football because that would mean the loss of one of their packages. Even then, ND has to wait until the ACC GOR expires.

• Like 1