What are you expecting from 2023 Aaron Rodgers in NY?

notthatbluestuff

What are you expecting from 2023 Aaron Rodgers in NY?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What are you expecting from 2023 Aaron Rodgers in NY?

• Back to bonafide elite-QB form; MVP candidate
    • Good numbers, top-10 or top-12 QB.
    • Mediocre; continues the decline suggested last season
    • Total train wreck; Rodgers is done

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/10/2023 at 11:00 PM

15 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

From the reports I'm reading about how bad the Jets OL is and how they're looking in training camp, not a great/MVP season if that's the case. 

His pocket presence and quick twitch in the pocket seems to have declined with age. I remember prime Rodgers was very active in the pocket and moved around and took off with the ball if the pocket broke down. I've realized the change the past couple years but looked into it and it appears to be the case. 

If you have Rodgers back there, who is going to be staying inside the pocket alot, with a terrible OL, it's not going to be a great recipe. Especially if the Jets have to go against the Bills, Dolphins and Pats DL's 6 total times. 

Rodgers rushing averages:

• 2008 to 2019: 55 rushing attempts, 284 yards per season
  • 2020 to 2023: 35 rushing attempts, 115 yards per season

To be fair, the Jets have not yet had their starting OL in place. Duane Brown who will be starting at LT is still not practicing but is supposed to be back very soon, so Turner been at LT and he is terrible.  The Jets are taking it slow with Becton who has looked good for the most part, but they haven't given him starters reps yet but his snap counts are building up and when he plays he looks good. Mitchell at RT hasn't been good. That has been the biggest issue is Turner is terrible at LT and Mitchell isn't good. 

Then yesterday we had both of our starting OG sitting out with minor injuries and were trying out guys. 

Edited by NYJets4716

19 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

The Jets are giving me "super team" vibes and not in a good way. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they finished 3rd in the division.

I don't understand that at all. The majority of the team's talent is from drafting. Just because they brought in Rodgers? Last season the only reason they weren't a playoff team was because they had zero production at QB. The defense was and is very good. The DL is actually deeper and more talented than last season. Jermaine Johnson looks like a different player, ready to breakout. Will McDonald has been beating every OT he faces, he destroyed Wirf yesterday, he will be a problem as a pass rusher. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

I don't understand that at all. The majority of the team's talent is from drafting. Just because they brought in Rodgers?

Well, Rodgers (and his band of cronies) for one. But also the national media making the Jets the headlining act. They’ve being touted as Super Bowl hopefuls.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Last season the only reason they weren't a playoff team was because they had zero production at QB. The defense was and is very good. The DL is actually deeper and more talented than last season. Jermaine Johnson looks like a different player, ready to breakout. Will McDonald has been beating every OT he faces, he destroyed Wirf yesterday, he will be a problem as a pass rusher. 

I don’t doubt the defense or their overall talent. My concern is the OL and how that will affect a 39 year old Rodgers. I do not think he will take kindly to the amount of hits I foresee him taking and can envision a world where frustration boils over and the team “underwhelms”.

But more importantly, the Jets share a division with two very good teams already. I like Miami a lot with the addition of Fangio, and there’s no indication that the Bills are preparing to drop off anytime soon. Hence my lack of surprise if the Jets end up finishing 3rd.

I think he will be on an MVP track but Zack Wilson or Boyle will see significant playing time, which could cost them a playoff spot, or Rogers could just be shot by the time January rolls around. But I definitely foresee a fast start, similar to the Farve year.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:26 PM, OkeyDoke21 said:

This is where I would be at, too.  

It will all depend upon if NY can shore up their OL.  The Jets will not be trading  for our starting LT either so they'll have to look elsewhere.  If the OL plays well Rodgers should be fine.  But QBs a little long in the tooth as he is needs better protection than younger guys.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

It will all depend upon if NY can shore up their OL.  The Jets will not be trading  for our starting LT either so they'll have to look elsewhere.  If the OL plays well Rodgers should be fine.  But QBs a little long in the tooth as he is needs better protection than younger guys.

That  is just media hype. The Jets coaching staff loves Duane Brown and basically have him penciled in at LT.  He hasn't practiced yet, still working out on the side. 

On 8/17/2023 at 9:15 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Well, Rodgers (and his band of cronies) for one. But also the national media making the Jets the headlining act. They’ve being touted as Super Bowl hopefuls.

I don’t doubt the defense or their overall talent. My concern is the OL and how that will affect a 39 year old Rodgers. I do not think he will take kindly to the amount of hits I foresee him taking and can envision a world where frustration boils over and the team “underwhelms”.

But more importantly, the Jets share a division with two very good teams already. I like Miami a lot with the addition of Fangio, and there’s no indication that the Bills are preparing to drop off anytime soon. Hence my lack of surprise if the Jets end up finishing 3rd.

It's because they are a NY team, they had an excellent draft a year ago that landed the OROY and DROY.  A team that was pretty good a season ago outside of injuries and horrible QB play. Now adding one of the best to ever do it.  This is easily on paper the most talented Jets roster I've seen as a fan. The OL has questions, but I think they will be solid once Brown settles in at LT and my prediction is Becton ends up as the RT. Staying healthy is the biggest thing, injuries can ruin a season. 

Just now, StatKing said:

4000+ yards, 35 TDs and 7 picks with 11-12 wins. I don't know why everyone thinks the Bills are a lock to be a great team when they haven't done anything but win a weak division the last 3 years. Their window isn't going to be open forever.

It's probably because they've had a good QB and really good defense the last few years.