2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

Just now, freefromwhatyouare said:

Yeah, it's 4 in the morning. Had a wonderful Friday night. I'm laying here next to my wife as I type this. What is your point little guy?

None really, I'm just admiring how successful you are, married and everything. You're so awesome brother, rock on.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

mentioning your wife so much as if that makes you better.

I mentioned her ONCE and that obviously triggered you or made you jealous and YOU started posting about it. That is very odd that you made such a big deal about that and are still posting about it.

Get over me kiddo. It's going to be ok. I'm sure your life will turn to the positive and successful soon.

Good luck little buddy!

11 hours ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Some should be aware they are not safe hiding behind a screen.

A lot of people less stable than I have the capability to do nasty things to people who hide behind screens. 

Just a friendly reminder and public service announcement.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

What "5 tackles?" Caleb Jones is far from a lock for the 53.

Bakh

Tom

Yosh 

Walker

The above are your 2023 T locks folks. None of them are going anywhere this season, mark my words. Knock on wood they all stay healthy and none go on IR. Yosh and Walker are quality depth at T that is needed in case of injury. The OL shuffles EVERY season. Trading Yosh isn't a convo at 1265 Lombardi, except for from a couple local media nerds trying to get your attention. They play some of you like a fiddle.

Jones is not a lock.  He does look good in my opinion, and he also has the size that you cannot teach.  I think that he is a project that you want to keep around, and I think that other teams with thinner OL may take a chance  to poach him.  I would rather keep him as a 5th tackle than keeping an extra safety, LB, or WR.  

What I was speculating on was why we could trade Nijman, even though I don't think that we will, or that I would do it, if I were in charge.  

I doubt it happens, but is there a circumstance where Nijman is dealt? Sure.

1. Green Bay has Walker as the clear-cut No. 3 tackle

2. They have Rhyan on at least equal footing overall, making Nijman, by virtue of being the No. 4 tackle, the de facto No. 8 offensive lineman.

3. Some team offers a day 2 pick or similar value (or, dare to dream, a starting caliber safety)

Taking Nijman's name out of it, if a hypothetical team is offered a Day 2 pick for their impending free agent No. 8 offensive lineman, what percentage of the time do they take that deal? 80%? 85%?

Do I think it is likely? No. I'd put the chances of all three conditions being met at roughly 5%. But it isn't inconceivable either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Jones is not a lock.  He does look good in my opinion, and he also has the size that you cannot teach.  I think that he is a project that you want to keep around, and I think that other teams with thinner OL may take a chance  to poach him.  I would rather keep him as a 5th tackle than keeping an extra safety, LB, or WR....

I'm no scout, so have no idea if Jones really has the quickness or the pad-level/flexibility or motor to ever be NFL-good.  I'm fine for the Packers to evaluate.  

But given that Bakhti and/or Nijman may price themselves off of next year's roster, today's 5th-tackle could be next year's 3rd-tackle.  So *IF* we think Jones has long-term NFL potential, I'd value that over some extra WR or ST-only Carpenter type guy. 

I think pretty much every decision in this rebuilding year should be looking to 24 and beyond, not just to 2023 season.  

• Like 2

Realistically, there are probably only a hand full of players who aren't tradable: A few who aren't replaceable like Love and a few more who would cause serious cap issues. 

So it wouldn't be out of the question to trade Nijman. He is replaceable by Walker, Jones, and perhaps long term by Tenuta. Trading him wouldn't hurt the cap (and might help it, though I'm no capologist). Getting some thing for him now wouldn't be a bad strategy, rather then just letting him walk after the season. A lot depends on what Gute and the coaches think about Walker and Jones.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Realistically, there are probably only a hand full of players who aren't tradable: A few who aren't replaceable like Love and a few more who would cause serious cap issues. 

So it wouldn't be out of the question to trade Nijman. He is replaceable by Walker, Jones, and perhaps long term by Tenuta. Trading him wouldn't hurt the cap (and might help it, though I'm no capologist). Getting some thing for him now wouldn't be a bad strategy, rather then just letting him walk after the season. A lot depends on what Gute and the coaches think about Walker and Jones.

I think he is still very much a commodity for the 23 Packers. I'm not saying you don't make a good point to get something rather than have him just walk. However it makes me think of how we kept Bak too. He really is the outlier in what the Packers are doing this year and it's because how important this o-line is going to be to allow for Love to grow and have success. So with that said you know what you have in Nijman, and if push comes to shove and we need our swing guy to be in for a lot of snaps or multiple games I think they still feel good about keeping Nijman.