Preseason Week 3 GDT: BEARS VS BILLS

Ty21

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

You do know that Bagent has zero chance to unseat Fields, right? He’s not being evaluated against Fields by anyone other than apparently by you. He’s competing with Nathan Peterman and PJ Walker, both of whom also have zero chance to unseat Fields. 

You do know that Fields is in a make or break year right? That if he doesn't take a fairly sizable leap THIS YEAR, he's almost certainly not only NOT getting his 5th year option used, but that we're likely going to be looking -very hard- at drafting a replacement in the offseason..... That evaluation isn't going to take all year to determine, and you better believe that if he doesn't improve substantially the staff is going to be desperate to evaluate Bagent before they go into the offseason.

You people keep acting like Fields has been good at quarterback. News flash, he hasn't.... and nothing so far this offseason has remotely changed that narrative... hell if anything, the limited action we've seen from Fields only further reinforces that he ISN'T the guy.

I'd close by saying that I've never once said Bagent is going to be great, or hell even a good QB at the NFL level.... I'm not sky high on Bagent. The kid is an as of yet unknown quantity. I'm just way way lower (read more realistic) on Fields than you are. He's had two years already, he ISN'T an unknown quantity anymore  Live in denial all you want on that statement, you sound like the people still holding out hope for Mitch. I'm still cheering for him to turn it around, but good lord, right now he'd have to make a gargantuan leap to be Kirk Cousins, which is still QB purgatory territory.

Just caught up with the game there...might be the most preseason preseason game I have seen in a while...super vanilla on both offence & defence...some guys who are guaranteed to make the roster looking like they just want to get it over and done with...good to see Yannick & Edmunds out there but what about 6 snaps for Yak & only 3 for Edmunds? Bit of a waste of time and we could have just held them out till the real games start if that was all we were going to use them for...

In terms of the deeper stuff when it comes to the depth chart...

Bagent has to be a lock to make the roster...didn't do a massive amount but certainly nothing to hurt his case...don't get caught up in the weeds of is he the #2 or #3...just get him on the roster and develop him.

Carlson is going to be a tough cut at TE...shows up on special teams...can block...solid underneath receiver...if he is PS eligible then we should keep him there.

The NFL as a whole are massively struggling for quality offensive linemen...supply and demand are just not there...as much as the injuries to the OL suck right now if Braxton goes down we have real problems because no one else can play LT...got to look at OTs on the waiver wire and see if we can hit on even a stop gap solution.

Terrell Lewis should be a roster lock...very impressed with him over the course of the 3 games...hope Gipson stays for now as well.

Ojemundia could sneak on to the bottom of this roster if his special teams play is solid...looked solid on defence yesterday...could be CB #6.

Still massively concerned about of Safety depth...really need to be aggressive in finding quality depth.

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have never heard of a football team losing 4 centers before start of season.   That has to be some kind of record.  

https://x.com/larrymayer/status/1560425556046360576?s=61&t=v6LV1OopIM988_WLEdjCHA

Was just about to post on this separately...

It will be really interesting to know if Whitehair can snap in a few weeks...if he can then we are all good but if not we could be in for a really hard time...claiming a centre isn't like claiming most positions...unless that guy has knowledge of this season already it would be a massive ask for him to start in a couple of weeks. 

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

You do know that Fields is in a make or break year right? That if he doesn't take a fairly sizable leap THIS YEAR, he's almost certainly not only NOT getting his 5th year option used, but that we're likely going to be looking -very hard- at drafting a replacement in the offseason..... That evaluation isn't going to take all year to determine, and you better believe that if he doesn't improve substantially the staff is going to be desperate to evaluate Bagent before they go into the offseason.

You people keep acting like Fields has been good at quarterback. News flash, he hasn't.... and nothing so far this offseason has remotely changed that narrative... hell if anything, the limited action we've seen from Fields only further reinforces that he ISN'T the guy.

I'd close by saying that I've never once said Bagent is going to be great, or hell even a good QB at the NFL level.... I'm not sky high on Bagent. The kid is an as of yet unknown quantity. I'm just way way lower (read more realistic) on Fields than you are. He's had two years already, he ISN'T an unknown quantity anymore  Live in denial all you want on that statement, you sound like the people still holding out hope for Mitch. I'm still cheering for him to turn it around, but good lord, right now he'd have to make a gargantuan leap to be Kirk Cousins, which is still QB purgatory territory.

No you haven't, but when you make comments like "if Fields misses time and Bagent is forced to play, he'll play well enough to keep the starting job," it sure reads as if you're insinuating it

Edited by beardown3231

Bagent wouldn’t be horrendous in nfl action but only because if we are forced to use him, we’re fully reverting back to the run-run-pass offense of forever. If the running game is good enough, we’re just average enough to weasel out some games. 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Was just about to post on this separately...

It will be really interesting to know if Whitehair can snap in a few weeks...if he can then we are all good but if not we could be in for a really hard time...claiming a centre isn't like claiming most positions...unless that guy has knowledge of this season already it would be a massive ask for him to start in a couple of weeks. 

It’s a disaster.  We are a few weeks from playing with no viable healthy center on roster.  

I don’t know extent of injuries, but it would seem you need to sign a vet center ASAP.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

It’s a disaster.  We are a few weeks from playing with no viable healthy center on roster.  

I don’t know extent of injuries, but it would seem you need to sign a vet center ASAP.

The thing is we don't really know what we have...

Whitehair is healthy enough to play as shown yesterday so in 2 weeks time can he snap?

Patrick we have no update on what is wrong with him.

Kramer had his thumb wrapped yesterday but was that preventative to stop it getting worse or was it just straight up bad?

Until next week when the first official injury reports come out we aren't going to really know.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Ed Oliver is a good player, but we made him look like peak Aaron Donald.  

Yeah no one looked like Donald out there...that's hyperbolic to say the least...

As I said above it's supply and demand when it comes to offensive linemen...just aren't enough to go around these days and any OL (yes I include the Eagles) would struggle with playing only one offensive linemen in the position they want them too and having only two starters out there from the five...going to be tough to truly upgrade our depth.

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

At least you’re not jumping to conclusions about anything I said…

I did not say nor imply that Fields was a known quantity. I also haven’t come anywhere close to calling him a made guy as far as the NFL goes. Fields does need to show continued improvement this year - has anyone said otherwise? My point was that he threw 9 passes this preseason (I mistakenly said 8 in my last post). That’s not enough to conclude anything about anyone in either direction, but especially with Fields since what we have seen thus far has been offense called without at all utilizing the threat of him as a runner in the game planning (a huge part of what he brings to the table).  

I am genuinely curious though what you’d consider to be good enough from Fields this year. My take from the way you’re scrutinizing him is that you think he needs to be an unquestioned superstar by Thanksgiving to be worthy of continuing to be our QB beyond that point, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions there. What is “a fairly sizable leap” in your eyes? Is it a statistical benchmark? Is it an eye test thing? Something else?

As far as Bagent goes, the likelihood this staff ever considers him as a starting option other than possibly as an injury replacement is incredibly low. If Fields’ play this year leads Poles to conclude that he isn’t the guy then he will almost certainly use our extensive 2024-25 draft capital to bring in a top prospect to replace him. Bagent’s path to seeing regular season game day reps in the NFL (if he has one) almost certainly does not have that happening in Chicago. 

Yesterday was unsettling.  Felt very familiar in terms of what's wrong.  

We've lost an entire OL worth of OL players and there are no answers in sight.  What's the ceiling for this team if they have their LT and then backups to backups?  Doesn't matter who the QB is, they're going to suck. Hopefully the returns from injury are coming as if not this is going to get ugly.

Fields was crummy.  Bad targets on passes.  The most concerning thing was how quickly the switch flipped and he was willing to run.  There is no point to that in preseason. That it happens shows that the focus on the short/intermediate/dumpoff passing game hasn't really sunk in. I would WAY rather watch him toss the ball into Burnham harbor if nothings there than take hits in preseason.  Yikes.  I understand protection wasn't there but if he's playing like last year he's not going to last the season. 

In retrospect, it would have been better to play him in PS game 2 and sit him out of the 3rd.  

Perhaps I'm overreacting but for this year to have a point the OL needs outside attention or some doctoring miracles in a hurry. 

What realistic options are out there?  Seems like if we're going to acquire a plus player it's going to take a trade. What are we willing to give up to get a healthy good C or G and are they going to be able to hlpe right away?  

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Soooo ...

On this play Braxton gets thrown on his butt.

Whitehair gets pancaked by a LB.

Dieter actually had a nice block.

Carter gets shot by a sniper in stands.

Borom had a nice block.

Not encouraging.

Braxton over extended himself and got too top heavy, just a technique issue

Whitehair didn't get pancaked (do people think that's the term if someone goes to the ground?) he got pushed sideways over the giant pile behind him

Deiter had a decent block, but moreso sealed his man than pushing him.

Carter got tripped up on Deiter's man's foot while he was moving to the next level, not his fault

borom did a good job of getting in front of his man and sealing him off enough after the initial double team with carter

• Like 2