Preseason Game 3 - Seattle @ Green Bay

Leader

Don’t know how much of the first string they will run, but SEA is still a fairly power run heavy scheme, at least in the context of modern NFL. I think they will pound it and I’m glad because I think it gives us a good warm up for the Bears in wk. 1. Probably 2 series at most for our starters and wouldn’t be surprised if it was just fundamental,  run heavy stuff for our O, as well. Let’s have a clean game, everyone comes out healthy and hope a few of the ? Turn into !.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:49 PM, Refugee said:

Don’t know how much of the first string they will run, but SEA is still a fairly power run heavy scheme, at least in the context of modern NFL. I think they will pound it and I’m glad because I think it gives us a good warm up for the Bears in wk. 1. 

Not really a warm up for week one. Even in the couple series that both teams play their starters, the offensive and defensive calls are very vanilla and won't look ANYTHING like week one. Nothing about this game has anything to do with week 1.

This game is just getting the ones a few more snaps and then getting them out. Rest of the game is evaluating your depth, and getting a last look at players before cuts on Tuesday.

• Like 1

What players are on the fence and could actually make the 53 with a good performance against Seattle?

Can RB Wilson make the 53 if he does well, or has that ship sailed?

is there anyone on the fence that could swing their fate with a good performance on Saturday?

Edited by NFLGURU

1 hour ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Not really a warm up for week one. Even in the couple series that both teams play their starters, the offensive and defensive calls are very vanilla and won't look ANYTHING like week one. Nothing about this game has anything to do with week 1.

This game is just getting the ones a few more snaps and then getting them out. Rest of the game is evaluating your depth, and getting a last look at players before cuts on Tuesday.

I disagree. Of course no team will reveal much strategy but the fundamental work of blocking and tackling in pads and running 11 v. 11 coordinated plays on the ground and air are important in these games. Much less padded work is allowed in practice now even compared to 6 years ago, it will help players get ready for what’s coming with the obvious added risk of injury. I expect a physical game in Chicago week one, I want the Packers to be the more physical team in every phase. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

What players are on the fence and could actually make the 53 with a good performance against Seattle?

is there anyone on the fence that could swing their fate with a good performance on Saturday?

Don't know about the others, but Wilson is probably PS-Bound. He was used briefly in ST against New England, but it still looks like he takes a seat to Taylor in that department- as to Taylor's ST work, the loss of Davis seems to have promoted him forwards on Kickoff Returns.

Wait, I need to elaborate. Kickoff Blockers assemble in what amounts to a 5-3-2; the old fashioned Pyramid from Soccer. Last Year Taylor, when he was active, was typically in the '2' line, a fullback(defending back position). By contrast, I saw Davis in what would be the Center-Forward spot in the '5', with Deguara the Center-Midfielder in the '3'. Now, with Davis out and both Kraft and Austin Allen looking not especially noteworthy on ST, I saw Taylor elevated to CF against New England, and he's the most likely person(but that means nothing coming from me) to be placed there for the Regular Season.

44 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I disagree. Of course no team will reveal much strategy but the fundamental work of blocking and tackling in pads and running 11 v. 11 coordinated plays on the ground and air are important in these games. Much less padded work is allowed in practice now even compared to 6 years ago, it will help players get ready for what’s coming with the obvious added risk of injury. I expect a physical game in Chicago week one, I want the Packers to be the more physical team in every phase. 

One series for the offense and defense. The end.

All about evaluating the depth for the cuts from 90 to 53 by Tuesday. Cuts will be starting before Tuesday.

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Royce Newman looks bad Saturday and he is gone. May be gone even if he looks good Saturday. Sean Rhyan has looked good enough to keep over Newman. Enough of keeping Newman because he has a few starts under his belt. He has been tossed around like a rag doll by defenders most every time he has been on the grass.

Grant DuBose(WR) would have to really show something Saturday. I don't think he has a shot at the 53. 

17 minutes ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

One series for the offense and defense. The end.

All about evaluating the depth for the cuts from 90 to 53 by Tuesday. Cuts will be starting before Tuesday.

Of course,  but  more than the “starters” play in games and will play in week one. I’m not saying it will be some huge jump, only that there is more than zero value in it. The coaches feel the same. Yes, the final preseason game will be about evaluation of final cuts and PS, always has been. We will also be using it as a “padded practice” for guys that will play on a Sunday coming very soon. 

4 minutes ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Royce Newman looks bad Saturday and he is gone. May be gone even if he looks good Saturday. Sean Rhyan has looked good enough to keep over Newman. Enough of keeping Newman because he has a few starts under his belt. He has been tossed around like a rag doll by defenders most every time he has been on the grass.

Grant DuBose(WR) would have to really show something Saturday. I don't think he has a shot at the 53. 

Heath and Wicks are outperforming the rest of the group for the bottom spots in the WR Corps. DuBose makes the 69, strong performance or not. Chrest too. That leaves #16, that Miller guy. He's done nothing but ST work, so that miiiight get him on the 69, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Wilson probably.  I still think Taylor is the best all-around back to keep, if we keep a third.  

All of the safeties besides Darnell Savage (and probably Dallin Leavitt) can still probably make or break their roster spot.  Likewise, there may be a spot for SJC, Innis Gaines, Corey Ballentine, or Kiondre Thomas if none of the safeties take the lead. I think there are 9 or 10 spots for DBs, with probably only 6 locks (Savage, Jaire, Nixon, Rasul, Valentine, [second safety])

Tariq Carpenter is probably on the bubble.  They like him on STs, but he doesn't look very good at LB.  

There is possibly a battle with WR 4-7, but I think it is likely that it is just whether or not they think they will be able to keep Dubose around, and if it is worth a roster spot to do that.  

I think Brenton Cox and Justin Hollins are safe, but I have seen people make rosters without one or the other, same story for Caleb Jones.  But those all seem to have 7 WRs on the roster, which I think is absurd.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Heath and Wicks are outperforming the rest of the group for the bottom spots in the WR Corps. DuBose makes the 69, strong performance or not. Chrest too. That leaves #16, that Miller guy. He's done nothing but ST work, so that miiiight get him on the 69, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

Chrest, Miller, Bonds, and Duece Watts all gone by Tuesday.

Bo Melton and DuBose on the PS.