San Francisco names Sam Darnold backup, exploring trade market for Trey Lance

Broncofan

14 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Is anyone an awful fit for Shanny? The only requirement he seems to need from a QB is a pulse (which is why I am pretty high on Darnold finally panning out for someone).

Yes, if they can't operate within the timing and cadence of the offense. Lance 100% can't do that right now because he's still turning down too many throws. He may grow out of it, but in the meantime Shanny can't do anything with him. That's the primary issue with him, I would assume. His short game just isn't there from a timing or execution standpoint.  Lance is also not nearlry as athletic as Shanny thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Chris Cooley and Kyle Shanahan are pretty close. After the trade was made Cooley said it was for Mac Jones. I still find that hard to believe but considering the hell Kyle went through with RG3 I didn't see drafting a sort of similar style player in Lance who needed a lot of work making sense for him. So I think they moved up for Mac and as things got closer they pivoted to Lance. 

Does Shanahan like completely uninspiring QB talents with limited ceilings? What is his QB fetish? Does slightly above average arm talents with mediocre athleticism get him going?

Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garapolo, Mac Jones, CJ Bethard and Brock Purdy? Im waiting for him to trade 3 firsts for Derek Carr to complete the set.

WHY ARE YOU THE WAY THAT YOU ARE

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Does Shanahan like completely uninspiring QB talents with limited ceilings? What is his QB fetish? Does slightly above average arm talents with mediocre athleticism get him going?

Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garapolo, Mac Jones, CJ Bethard and Brock Purdy? Im waiting for him to trade 3 firsts for Derek Carr to complete the set.

7wqeio.jpg

• Like 2

It seemed like such a bad trade to me at the time, and now it's somehow even worse. Fields still has a lot to prove, but I've always thought he should have went before Wilson and Lance.

If Purdy becomes a franchise QB, that obviously helps ease the sting of this trade. But I doubt Purdy becomes a legit franchise QB.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DawgX said:

It seemed like such a bad trade to me at the time, and now it's somehow even worse. Fields still has a lot to prove, but I've always thought he should have went before Wilson and Lance.

If Purdy becomes a franchise QB, that obviously helps ease the sting of this trade. But I doubt Purdy becomes a legit franchise QB.

Because this is how the Trey Lance vs. Justin Fields QB discussion went in the 49ers front office

VWdntp.gif

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

The Lance trade happened the same offseason the Stafford trade did, so before the Rams won their Super Bowl. In fact the Niners were trying to trade for Stafford too(Shanahan was told negotiations would continue in the morning and he could go to sleep before waking up to learn Stafford was going to LA)

Yeah that’s true. Bc when the Niners lost to the Rams in the NFCCG that’s when everyone thought Jimmy G days were done and Lance was going to take over the next season.

All in all I just feel like Kyle can never seem to get the QB position right. Even heard a rumor that if Cousins hit FA next offseason Kyle and McVay could have a bidding war for him. Well I’m here to say the Niners can have him lol. Cousins will be the Niners starting QB next season IF Purdy look like at late round pick more than a good QB in a great offensive system. Especially if the Niners don’t at least get back to the NFCCG. Again the pressure is even more so on Lynch and Kyle. @Forge I know you think their jobs aren’t in jeopardy but this is a bad look and it’s on both of them. Can’t fire the OC or position coach for this. If the Niners don’t win and Purdy don’t end up like a good QB in a great system but he looks like a late round QB then Kyle or Lynch will pay the price. Maybe not both but one imo. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Yeah that’s true. Bc when the Niners lost to the Rams in the NFCCG that’s when everyone thought Jimmy G days were done and Lance was going to take over the next season.

All in all I just feel like Kyle can never seem to get the QB position right. Even heard a rumor that if Cousins hit FA next offseason Kyle and McVay could have a bidding war for him. Well I’m here to say the Niners can have him lol. Cousins will be the Niners starting QB next season IF Purdy look like at late round pick more than a good QB in a great offensive system. Especially if the Niners don’t at least get back to the NFCCG. Again the pressure is even more so on Lynch and Kyle. @Forge I know you think their jobs aren’t in jeopardy but this is a bad look and it’s on both of them. Can’t fire the OC or position coach for this. If the Niners don’t win and Purdy don’t end up like a good QB in a great system but he looks like a late round QB then Kyle or Lynch will pay the price. Maybe not both but one imo. 

3 NFC championships in 4 years isn't a bad look though. They may ultimately pay the price for this miss because it's hard to miss that big and not get it at some point, but they aren't going to feel it for a couple of years when vets start leaving. Barring another crazy injury year (which is possible - the Bosa contract has me concerned) they'll probably make the playoffs again, probably win a playoff game again before losing to Dallas or Philly. Missing on this trade and pick is not more important than what he's doing on the field. 

And that's before considering the contract situation of shanny (no offset language ) which also conveniently runs only through 2025. And Jed loves him. 

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Didn't he really like John Beck too?

• Like 2