JuJu Smith-Schuster, George Illoka Suspended 1 game

TheVillain112

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If the NFL doesn’t like how the game got out of hand and how it looks to the public  2 far more effective solutions: 

1.  Eject guys sooner in this type of grudge match.  Context matters.  

2.  More importantly stop scheduling it in prime time.  

I’d say if it wasn’t in prime time no way JuJu gets suspended.  Illoka hit was actually way worse but a suspension for taunting is ridiculous.  Even Illoka was in the heat of action.  SMH both don’t get suspensions IMO if it isn’t seen in prime time with the known background.  

agree with 1.

disagree with 2

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Put it this way - until you do #1 you can’t air these games in prime time and expect different results than PR nightmares like last night.  

thats true.

refs def need to set the tone early, in q1 

but i like these high intensity matchups (but perhaps not that much bc i skipped the game)

Just now, tonyto36 said:

If he didn't taunt he doesn't get the suspension.

The taunt tells the league he did it on purpose and was head hunting.

I've seen very similar circumstances happen in the trenches with lineman dishing out the pancakes but it is often overlooked b/c the taunt isn't as blatant. Schuster wasn't head hunting, he was looking to lay a wicked good block, which he did with proper form, and the helmet contact was incidental.

4 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I don't know how he could possibly think he didn't hit him in the head/face

Pancake blocks are completely different than crack back blocks where you smash a guys face in.

I find it extremely hard to believe he didn't know what happened.

Schuster led with his shoulder into the chest.

grab-2017-12-04-22h36m23s73.png?w=1000&h

It wasn't a crack back, or a peel back, Schuster came in at a straight line and Burfict simply wasn't paying attention to his surroundings.

Also in today's game, especially with the prevalence of the zone game with multiple lineman climbing to the second level, there are plenty of situations week in and week out where lineman annihilate a LB or DB in the same manner.

JuJu launched putting his helmet into the facemask of an unexpected Burfict and celebrated over him. It would have been easy to just legally block him and take him out of the play, he took a shot for the sake of taking a shot and did so outside of the rules. If this was in another game he probably isn't suspended but dirty shots like this (it is dirty because it was illegal and unnecessary and likely to injure) just keep the bad blood escalating and next time it may be Burfict retaliating and getting tossed.

badjuju.0.gif

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

JuJu launched putting his helmet into the facemask of an unexpected Burfict and celebrated over him. It would have been easy to just legally block him and take him out of the play, he took a shot for the sake of taking a shot and did so outside of the rules. If this was in another game he probably isn't suspended but dirty shots like this (it is dirty because it was illegal and unnecessary and likely to injure) just keep the bad blood escalating and next time it may be Burfict retaliating and getting tossed.

badjuju.0.gif

What a beautiful and perfectly legal block by a WR on a LB. Straight line to his target, gathered his feet, put his head to the side, and led with his shoulder into the chest. Helluva football play. Burfict needs to be more aware of his surroundings and not live in a fantasy land where he is going to get a free shot on the RB; someone is coming to block him. It's Burfict being unaware that led to the incidental helmet to helmet contact.

The suspension here is completely unwarranted and is simply the league trying to save face b/c of how it looks to less informed bystanders.

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

JuJu suspension is absolutely ridiculous. How was AJ Green not suspended after all these suspensions? Doesn't make any sense.

It's because the NFL just suspends people for PR reasons. A player can be known to beat the hell out of his kids or dogs and nothing happens until a video or something comes out and the public gets enraged.

Gronk decided to be a pos which put the league on edge and the Shazier went and almost tackled himself into a wheelchair in the beginning of the game which makes the game look very dangerous. Then JuJu gets a clean hit that just happens to destroy a guy and he forgets himself and stands over the man making him look like some kind of monster (even though every single one of us over 20 would have loved that hit 10 years ago) when Burfict has to get carted off the field (even though he jumped off the gd cart apparently and walked into the locker room moments later).

It is 100% PR off the backs of a bunch of hypocrites virtue signalling after the Gronk hit and Shazier injury and applying emotions to a situation that don't need them.

I bet you $100 if Shazier hadn't gone down like that and Gronk hadn't done what he did, nobody would be pretending to care about the JuJu hit, although he would have still be flagged, and it would have ended up just being a fine. Same thing with the hit on AB. Flag and a fine are standard fair for those hits until today. 

Also note that most people getting upset at JuJu or Iloka are mentioning Shazier but not Mixon. I wonder why that is seeing as how he was the only other player who appeared to actually suffer a serious injury apart from Shazier? Actually I don't have to wonder because I know that it's because there was no big hit where it happened to flash on highlights all day for TV ratings or to put gifs of for clicks. That and I'm sure some of these virtue signalers don't know how to feel about feeling sympathy for Mixon.

I 100% hate to see anybody get hurt, even Burfict who I think should be thrown out of the league. And I hate the injuries on both sides that have been happening in all these Steelers Bengals games the last few years, I want it to stop and I blame Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin for allowing it to continue. I would be 100% for the NFL letting it be known before the next game that any hits even like JuJu's or Iloka's will lead to instant ejection to try and stop this crap as long as it's established before hand that they aren't going to tolerate that stuff, but right now it's just PR suspensions to try and make the NFL look better.

Always remember that the NFL doesn't actually care about player safety though, and they love the big hits during Bengals Steelers and that's why they keep scheduling late season prime time games between the two teams, because big hits and rivalry bring ratings. I bet they have another prime time game next year where they will sit there and lead up to the game talking about all these hits and crap between the teams while they show replays and talk about how "bad" it is.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

badjuju.0.gif

Nonsense. He didnt launch. He threw momentum into the block. Thats how you block someone 40 pounds heavier than you who is coming your way. And the contact with the facemask was clearly incidental. 

This was not a defenseless receiver. This was a linebacker in on the play and 3 yards from the ball carrier. He could have turned his head at any second to see the block coming and went right through Smith. So Juju went in aggressively and laid out a great block on a dude much bigger and heavier than him. He pasted the dude. But he didnt launch. And he wasnt head hunting. That was shoulder to shoulder.

He is being made an example of because the NFL is taking a PR hit over how rough the game was. 

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

If he didn't taunt he doesn't get the suspension.

The taunt tells the league he did it on purpose and was head hunting.

Not sure about that.  He hits him an inch lower and their helmets don't glance eachother but the hit his just as violent and Burfict still stays down and Juju still taunts him.

League kinda tells on itself calling Juju's hit a blindside hit, like he came at him as straight on as a person could get.  Just because Burfict didn't see him doesn't mean he came at him from the side.  Thing is there is no way the league will be consistent here and suspend every player who actually delivers a blindside block to the head because there have been a lot that were just fines already.

Archived