Bills trade former 2nd round pick Boogie Basham to the Giants

Trentwannabe

I actually liked him a lot coming out and from the little I've seen he's flashed a bit as a rotational guy. However, with Von Miller under contract for multiple years, Leonard Floyd eith the team for the season, Greg Rousseau outperforming him from the same draft class, and Shaq Lawson in the fold as a cheap vet, Boogie would have been 5th on the depth chart with a handful of extensions on the way and a need to make cap room for the DT position, as Ed Oliver is their only guy under contract on the interior after this season.

Upside acquisition for the Giants. I don't think he's a 10-12 sack guy, but I think he could be a consistent 6 to 8 sack guy who plays the run well and sets the edge consistently, a la Zach Allen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I actually liked him a lot coming out and from the little I've seen he's flashed a bit as a rotational guy. However, with Von Miller under contract for multiple years, Leonard Floyd eith the team for the season, Greg Rousseau outperforming him from the same draft class, and Shaq Lawson in the fold as a cheap vet, Boogie would have been 5th on the depth chart with a handful of extensions on the way and a need to make cap room for the DT position, as Ed Oliver is their only guy under contract on the interior after this season.

Upside acquisition for the Giants. I don't think he's a 10-12 sack guy, but I think he could be a consistent 6 to 8 sack guy who plays the run well and sets the edge consistently, a la Zach Allen. 

Man, a 6-8 sack guy would be incredible. We honestly just need consistent depth to spell Azeez and Kayvon. Jihad Ward is an OK 3rd edge (great against the run, offers very little as a pass rusher, but does have inside/outside versatility). Our 4th edge spot was going to be Tomon Fox, a UDFA from last year who has a high motor and hits hard, but doesnt have much else. Hell, there was a chance Oshane Ximines was going to make the team, and he's God awful. I love this trade mainly because it means he won't. 

I really liked Basham coming out. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

You forgot about Epenesa who is the 3rd or 4th DE depending on Millers status. Bills apparently had trade talks with both players. I think Epenesa is a true rotational guy (6 sacks last season) whereas Boogie seemed to be a tweener for us. His flashes have been there but he's also disappeared entirely. 

Fresh start for him should be a good thing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

You forgot about Epenesa who is the 3rd or 4th DE depending on Millers status. Bills apparently had trade talks with both players. I think Epenesa is a true rotational guy (6 sacks last season) whereas Boogie seemed to be a tweener for us. His flashes have been there but he's also disappeared entirely. 

Fresh start for him should be a good thing. 

Totally forgot Epenesa! Yeah, he's also been getting better, and he's more of a model of the player Basham COULD be. 

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Man, a 6-8 sack guy would be incredible. We honestly just need consistent depth to spell Azeez and Kayvon. Jihad Ward is an OK 3rd edge (great against the run, offers very little as a pass rusher, but does have inside/outside versatility). 

I really liked Basham coming out. 

Keep in mind, Ward has been more productive than Basham since Basham has entered the league. The primary difference is that Ward has over 1100 snaps on defense in that span and Basham doesn't have 600 yet. But yeah, if he continues developing he could he a true third edge for you.

• Like 1