2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

19 hours ago, -Hope- said:

penix is teddy bridgewater but even slower. he’s a gifted passer but his arm is just okay and he can’t operate outside the pocket at all. he also to me seems to have a weird take-back on his throwing motion that slows it down some. but yeah add in age and his injury history and i don’t see it at all.

nix i like a little bit better but the thing is he basically seems like what would happen if you put will levis on a team packed with nfl talent and a good offensive scheme lol. big arm, hot-and-cold accuracy, penchant for risky throws are all there, it just all looks a lot better because he actually has guys getting open and time in the pocket. would make no sense whatsoever for us to draft him.

Tried to tune in each week a little to keep up with Penix, and so far he's made some pretty ridiculous NFL-level throws every single time. What am I missing? I might understand injury concerns, but he's around the same age as Burrow was when he was drafted, FWIW.

3 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Tried to tune in each week a little to keep up with Penix, and so far he's made some pretty ridiculous NFL-level throws every single time. What am I missing? I might understand injury concerns, but he's around the same age as Burrow was when he was drafted, FWIW.

He is Hendon Hooker to me. Will be 24 when drafted. Significant knee injury history. 

But I liked Hooker so it's not a no go to me. 

So ignore the whole "rigged" thing.  
Just looking at the games. 

These are the plays that gives me major pause about him as a player. He does this quite often, but he gets away with it in college. 
I'm trying to project his playstyle to the NFL where he throws off platform, off balance so often. 
He is pressured here (imagine playing behind a line like ours ) scrambles and tries to make one of his college signature plays.

I question how successful this will be in the NFL when he does not have the crazy arm like Mahomes. 

I am out on Williams simply because he is asking for ownership stake and saying 4-6 teams he will go to otherwise he returns to USC. If the guy is making these types of statements prior to playing a single down in the NFL...he will be trying to renegotiate his contract every year, holding out. No thanks on a guy like that. 

I know that's ridiculous but I just hate guys like that. He'll probably be all pro, but would never take a team friendly deal to ensure the team is competitive. I don't blame him but have no use for a guy like that. 

God I hope we land Joe Alt. Dude is a plug and play left tackle, and a beast of a technician.

Fashanu may be more athletic or something (I assume that’s why people have him higher on most boards), but Alt’s game is so clean. It’d be really nice to have a cornerstone LT that doesn’t need to be developed.

15 hours ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

I am out on Williams simply because he is asking for ownership stake and saying 4-6 teams he will go to otherwise he returns to USC. If the guy is making these types of statements prior to playing a single down in the NFL...he will be trying to renegotiate his contract every year, holding out. No thanks on a guy like that. 

I know that's ridiculous but I just hate guys like that. He'll probably be all pro, but would never take a team friendly deal to ensure the team is competitive. I don't blame him but have no use for a guy like that. 

I finally heard an anaylst talk bad about his game opposed to praising everything he does.  Said people are mad in Chicago about Fields holding the ball too long, he was like "you really will hate Williams. He holds to ball longer.  He thrives on the play that is broken opposed to playing within a system.  In the NFL teams way more talented than Norte Dame will expose that quickly." 

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Wow. Never thought of that.

Yeah if that's the case that's not generational lol

Yeah. That's a solid #1 overall pick (I was a Kyler fan), but not unbelievable. I think Caleb is a better prospect, but not by a lot. I'd have to go back and look at some Kyler stuff (but knowing me that won't actually happen) but I can absolutely see it from my memory.

Same offense, same spectacular plays, similar athleticism and arm talent.

• Like 1

I never thought I’d get to this point but the gap between Maye and Williams is as close as ever for me. I’m still a big Williams fan but he does do a lot of freestyle, “playground” stuff that is a little concerning.

Having said that, it’d be a major major mistake to pass on him if given the chance. The chance to get a franchise QB is there and you pass on him because of some report about him wanting ownership and maybe some personality stuff? Would be all time dumb imo.

38 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I never thought I’d get to this point but the gap between Maye and Williams is as close as ever for me. I’m still a big Williams fan but he does do a lot of freestyle, “playground” stuff that is a little concerning.

Having said that, it’d be a major major mistake to pass on him if given the chance. The chance to get a franchise QB is there and you pass on him because of some report about him wanting ownership and maybe some personality stuff? Would be all time dumb imo.

Come to the dark side!  Lol

I'm just not a fan of his game. He is still #1 QB in the draft mainly because of the tools, but if I were picking a QB, I'd pick Maye. Now that I've heard the Kyler comparison, I'm sticking with that. He is more Kyler than Mahomes. 

Whoever drafts him is going to have to have a plan. Not think he will come in a play action, west coast offense based on timing. 

I heard buzz of people not liking Levis because they thought he was not genuine or concerned with off-field endorsements.  I just don't like the feel of Williams as a player/person. Something doesn't sit right. 

Talent only takes you so far, I see that he lacks discipline...admittedly I haven't watched a ton of his games, but I mostly see off schedule throws which are good to great. The issue is in the NFL you have to make your living on the on schedule stuff, and the off schedule put you over the top. 

I haven't seen too much of any QB's besides JJ McCarthy so obviously I am biased toward him, but I am really hope one of the two young guys we have show something so we can add weapons this offseason and give them a year with some new weapons to see if they will be a long term solution. 

• Like 1