2024 Draft

Ftn49

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

Malik's a better receiver than Corley. Feels zone holes well. Is good at the catch point for anyone, much less a 5'9" guy. Tough over the middle of the field. Very fluid route runner. I think right away, he can contribute as a receiver. Corley's going to need to just do gadget things for a while. Malik might be more of an Aiyuk replacement than a Deebo one? I think he's going to run ~4.45, which is fine for what you are doing with him. He's going to have a crazy shuttle and 3 cone and probably 10 yd split. And he's strong as hell for anyone. The size+density thing makes him freaking annoying to go down and get. It's like trying to tackle a bowling ball.

Now, Corley can handle a couple of things Malik can't. Shanahan likes to use Deebo as a thumping finisher on man blocking power plays and sweeps. Malik can play some running back for you, but he just isn't big enough for that. Corley is.

I'm much higher on Malik, though, overall. I think he can be more useful right away and I think that the upside is that he could be one of these 3rd and 4th round guys that floats around the all pro list some years that some folks are confused by when he literally had over a 100 receptions and 1400 yards at UVA, where life ain't easy for receivers.

I think he'll time in the mid 4.5

He doesn't really possess that next gear to make me believe he'll be in the 4.4 range.

But I have been wrong before in that regard. Some guys time better than their game speed and vice versa,

But like you, I'll believe his 3-cone and other agility numbers will be top tier.

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

The more i watch Ray Davis the more i want him to be our yearly 3rd round RB. The problem is that he won't succeed if he is so that makes me not want to draft him there.

The real question is, do you want him to be on the Eagles in a couple of years?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Justone2 said:

The more i watch Ray Davis the more i want him to be our yearly 3rd round RB. The problem is that he won't succeed if he is so that makes me not want to draft him there.

I do really love Davis as a runner. Fine hands, but I haven't seen him so any receiver things. Does anyone know how he's done in those drills? At the very least, he's a good option to replace Mitchell

I think that we will make one sizeable free agent / trade which will kind of determine the course of our draft. Like, if they do target Bosa / Mack, then obviously I think it's very highly likely that our first will be a defensive end. Or if they sign Hunter. 

I just think the options for this are much better at Edge than they are at tackle. What external solutions would there be at OT? Free agent market is pretty thin. Not sure who would be viable trade targets. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that we will make one sizeable free agent / trade which will kind of determine the course of our draft. Like, if they do target Bosa / Mack, then obviously I think it's very highly likely that our first will be a defensive end. Or if they sign Hunter. 

I just think the options for this are much better at Edge than they are at tackle. What external solutions would there be at OT? Free agent market is pretty thin. Not sure who would be viable trade targets. 

Maybe an IOL type? Connor Williams? Robert Hunt makes sense? Still leaves you needing an edge in the first, though. But it's quite a nice class to need a developmental edge in the first. And the potential money savings on an edge is significantly better than some of the other options.

• Like 3

I will be honest, I don't think we should just take the 8th or 9th best tackle that falls to #31 over any other position for positional need. I think there is a better chance of an edge rusher falling to our pick that has a chance to be more productive early on while still taking care of a big need. If the tackle position is truly as deep as most think, then one should be available in the 2nd round as well. 

I have a feeling this team takes a WR or CB in the 2nd round and bypasses on taking a guard until some point in the 3rd or 4th round. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I will be honest, I don't think we should just take the 8th or 9th best tackle that falls to #31 over any other position for positional need. I think there is a better chance of an edge rusher falling to our pick that has a chance to be more productive early on while still taking care of a big need. If the tackle position is truly as deep as most think, then one should be available in the 2nd round as well. 

I have a feeling this team takes a WR or CB in the 2nd round and bypasses on taking a guard until some point in the 3rd or 4th round. 

In fairness, the 8th or 9th best tackle may just be a better prospect than the 4th edge. 

That's how good the tackle class is and how meh the edge class is imo

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, the 8th or 9th best tackle may just be a better prospect than the 4th edge. 

That's how good the tackle class is and how meh the edge class is imo

I mean if that is the case? Then sure, but if that many tackles go early, then some stud WRs and CBs should fall to that spot. Guaranteed at least 4-5 QBs will be gone by then as well. 

And if the tackle is so great (don't doubt that), then a good one should be available in the 2nd round as well. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean if that is the case? Then sure, but if that many tackles go early, then some stud WRs and CBs should fall to that spot. Guaranteed at least 4-5 QBs will be gone by then as well. 

And if the tackle is so great (don't doubt that), then a good one should be available in the 2nd round as well. 

I do think that there will be a really good corner available if they wanted to go that route (don't think they will).  Don't feel that way about receiver. I think 4 will have gone off the board and the next best guy is probably Ladd or Mitchell, neither of whom I would consider a great bargain or anything. 

But I do very much think that a really good corner will be there. 

If there is a guy that I'm going to watch as a "faller", its probably going to be Latu. Won't test great, has the injury retirement...I can see a world where he falls by the wayside, and if he's there at 31, I'd jump on that. 

I don't know about how @JIllg feels about Newton's fit with the niners, but I have interest if he's there. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I do think that there will be a really good corner available if they wanted to go that route (don't think they will).  Don't feel that way about receiver. I think 4 will have gone off the board and the next best guy is probably Ladd or Mitchell, neither of whom I would consider a great bargain or anything. 

If there is a guy that I'm going to watch as a "faller", its probably going to be Latu. Won't test great, has the injury retirement...I can see a world where he falls by the wayside, and if he's there at 31, I'd jump on that. 

I don't know about how @JIllg feels about Newton's fit with the niners, but I have interest if he's there. 

I really like Newton. He and Murphy are very similar. Both short, quick guys that can take a double because they are so low and fit perfectly as one gapping 1 techs or 3 techs. If the medical with his foot isn't too bad, I'm all about Newton. Think he's one of the 15 best players in the draft, easy. I don't like the tackle class (for us specifically) so much. There's just a bunch of guys that just kind of listed as a part of the tackle class that I see as either awkward fits or not as good as they have been hyped, or that they are really guards/centers. 

In order of how happy I'd be with the OT (given the draft position it's probably going to take to acquire them):

Alt/Fuaga/Latham/Puni/Christian Jones = clean fits; I think are actually tackles, especially for us

Tyler Guyton = tremendous raw athlete; liked the sort of eagerness I've seen from him in interviews and at the Senior Bowl. Is pretty darn good as a pass protector already just using pure athleticism. He's too high cut to be a terrific run blocker, but the value is probably too good if he's there. And he tries and wants it as a run blocker and that does matter some.

Amarius Mims = seems like a perfect fit physically - I just don't like his demeanor as a run blocker and his lack of domination given superb physical skills; wouldn't hate the play just based on pure upside. Depends on interviews.

Morgan = pretty good fit? He isn't powerful, but his zone blocking technique is fine. Didn't look the part of a tackle at the Senior Bowl and I would not be the happiest moving him to guard because of the lack of mass. But he was an actually useful tackle in college that knew how to run block. That's prolly better than McKivitz.

Kieran Amegadjie = no idea, man. Don't have enough tape. Don't have combine numbers yet. Like the body type better than most of these guys though. He's got enough mass to move people.

Graham Barton = too short arms for a tackle, too thin and weak for a guard. He blocks really well in space and he's experienced, but he's just a center IMO, and I really don't like drafting centers as early as he's projected when they didn't play there that often recently.

Troy Fautanu = another shorter, squattier guy, but I like Fautanu better for more passing oriented teams. His pass sets are way better than his run blocking imo. 

Kingsley Suamataia = taller longer guy. Really don't like his run blocking and he's raw all the way around. I get that there are only so many dudes in the world that are that kind of athlete, but I'd rather bank on guys that don't have to go nearly as far and that fit better. Plus, guys like Puni are good athletes in their own right and know how to play better right away.

Patrick Paul = Fine for more passing oriented teams; just a poor run blocker. The fit is all wrong.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think both Ward and Lenoir get paid so I do think that we go corner high in the draft either this year or next year. If a top level corner drops due to a high number of tackles or QBs taken in the top 30? Then I am not convinced we pass up on that position. 

I'd still put money on us taking an edge but I won't rule out WR or CB. 

Thoughts on this one fellas?

31.NFL-team-logo

Graham BartonOG Duke
63.NFL-team-logo
T'Vondre SweatDT Texas
94.NFL-team-logo
Matt GoncalvesOT Pittsburgh
98.NFL-team-logo
Malachi CorleyWR Western Kentucky
125.NFL-team-logo
Kris Abrams-DraineCB Missouri
132.NFL-team-logo
Daniel GreenLB Kansas State
176.NFL-team-logo
Zion Tupuola-FetuiEDGE Washington
214.NFL-team-logo
Evan WilliamsS Oregon
215.NFL-team-logo
Tip ReimanTE Illinois
237.NFL-team-logo
Jerrin ThompsonS Texas
249.NFL-team-logo
Sam HartmanQB Notre Dame

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

I really like Newton. He and Murphy are very similar. Both short, quick guys that can take a double because they are so low and fit perfectly as one gapping 1 techs or 3 techs. If the medical with his foot isn't too bad, I'm all about Newton. Think he's one of the 15 best players in the draft, easy. I don't like the tackle class (for us specifically) so much. There's just a bunch of guys that just kind of listed as a part of the tackle class that I see as either awkward fits or not as good as they have been hyped, or that they are really guards/centers. 

In order of how happy I'd be with the OT (given the draft position it's probably going to take to acquire them):

Alt/Fuaga/Latham/Puni/Christian Jones = clean fits; I think are actually tackles, especially for us

Tyler Guyton = tremendous raw athlete; liked the sort of eagerness I've seen from him in interviews and at the Senior Bowl. Is pretty darn good as a pass protector already just using pure athleticism. He's too high cut to be a terrific run blocker, but the value is probably too good if he's there. And he tries and wants it as a run blocker and that does matter some.

Amarius Mims = seems like a perfect fit physically - I just don't like his demeanor as a run blocker and his lack of domination given superb physical skills; wouldn't hate the play just based on pure upside. Depends on interviews.

Morgan = pretty good fit? He isn't powerful, but his zone blocking technique is fine. Didn't look the part of a tackle at the Senior Bowl and I would not be the happiest moving him to guard because of the lack of mass. But he was an actually useful tackle in college that knew how to run block. That's prolly better than McKivitz.

Kieran Amegadjie = no idea, man. Don't have enough tape. Don't have combine numbers yet. Like the body type better than most of these guys though. He's got enough mass to move people.

Graham Barton = too short arms for a tackle, too thin and weak for a guard. He blocks really well in space and he's experienced, but he's just a center IMO, and I really don't like drafting centers as early as he's projected when they didn't play there that often recently.

Troy Fautanu = another shorter, squattier guy, but I like Fautanu better for more passing oriented teams. His pass sets are way better than his run blocking imo. 

Kingsley Suamataia = taller longer guy. Really don't like his run blocking and he's raw all the way around. I get that there are only so many dudes in the world that are that kind of athlete, but I'd rather bank on guys that don't have to go nearly as far and that fit better. Plus, guys like Puni are good athletes in their own right and know how to play better right away.

Patrick Paul = Fine for more passing oriented teams; just a poor run blocker. The fit is all wrong.

Yeah I’ve seen the name Christian Jones in the 3rd round. I wouldn’t mind that pick up as well especially since it seems like we are going to miss out on the top guys. 

Morgan I heard has short arms and we supposedly like our T to have longer arms, but I can’t see that being the only reason minus like you said, push him inside to Guard. Similar to Barton. 

Would love the JPJ pick but I doubt he gets pass Dallas. Kyle already mentioned a couple of years ago after we lost Mack that the C position is the “heart beat” to the line, so I see them favoring C over G. 

Seems like we will go DLine at 31 DT or Edge depending on how it falls. It wouldn’t shock me honestly. Feel like Darius Robinson (Missouri) is the type of player we would select but I have to imagine after the senior bowl his stock shot up