Ravens RB JK Dobbins tears Achilles; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Exactly why it is ridiculous to critique these teams who refuse to give those contracts to players who could barely stay on the field in the first place.

Ravens made the correct choice

Yeah.  It's pretty much case in point, of why teams refuse to "pay their RBs".

Something unfortunate like this happens on one particular play, and he's basically useless to you.  Doubtful he'll recover to be much of a useful NFL RB, much less one worth big dollars.  Other positions...it's iffy, but they might come back as something serviceable.  For a RB though?  Pretty much a death knell for their useful career as their explosiveness is never going to be the same.

It sucks for RBs...but that's the reality of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It's pretty much case in point, of why teams refuse to "pay their Injury Prone RBs".

Fixed it

Dobbins inability to stay healthy is why he didn't deserve to be paid, not because he was a RB.

CMC, Henry, Chubb deserve every penny they get! Not every RB is Elite, there's the true difference as to why some d but most don't. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Fixed it

Dobbins inability to stay healthy is why he didn't deserve to be paid, not because he was a RB.

CMC, Henry, Chubb deserve every penny they get! Not every RB is Elite, there's the true difference as to why some d but most don't. 

I don't think that's really an accurate qualifier to add though.

Even RBs who are not particularly injury prone, are still always just one bad bit of turf, one bad jump cut, one awkward tackle, or one clumsy lineman misstep away from a similar situation.  It's just such a violent, physically demanding position...the margins are thin athletically between "elite rb" and "just a guy" or worse.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I don't think that's really an accurate qualifier to add though.

Even RBs who are not particularly injury prone, are still always just one bad bit of turf, one bad jump cut, one awkward tackle, or one clumsy lineman misstep away from a similar situation.  It's just such a violent, physically demanding position...the margins are thin athletically between "elite rb" and "just a guy" or worse.

How is that really any different then other positions? WR, TE, LB, DB?

I mean is Michael Thomas worth his contract the last few years? Darren Waller? Was Jaylon Smith? How about Bob Sanders?

Your either injury prone or your not. That absolutely plays a factor with any players contract moving forward,  not just RB's.

RB's just get shafted more in general!

50 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

How is that really any different then other positions? WR, TE, LB, DB?

I mean is Michael Thomas worth his contract the last few years? Darren Waller? Was Jaylon Smith? How about Bob Sanders?

Your either injury prone or your not. That absolutely plays a factor with any players contract moving forward,  not just RB's.

RB's just get shafted more in general!

That's true.  It can always happen with other positions as well.  It's just that the athletic margins are so much thinner with RBs.  And for the most part...that's their most critical differentiating attribute.  The nature of the position means they don't tend to have a lot of "separation" and "space" as wiggle room to play with.  They play in confined areas where split seconds matter a lot.

Other skill positions...there tends to be a lot of other elements that play a bigger role in making them "elite" beyond just the raw athleticism.  With RBs...even the "elite" ones are really just good vision, combined with those elite athletic traits.  Take away the athletic edge, and there's a line around the block of guys with decent vision and decent athleticism who they're in competition with for a gig.

It's the same reason we see rookie RBs walk right in and hit the ground running, thriving from Day1 in a way that isn't really typical to many other positions.  It's just that a bigger proportion of the position is about the raw physical ability to set a guy apart.  Erode the edges of that, and you've got a guy who is less "elite" and closer to that interchangeable "RB revolving door".

That's why RBs get shafted more in general.  It's not entirely fair.  It's one of the most violent, physically demanding positions out there.  It puts some of the hardest miles on a body.  But it's just a very physical, athleticism oriented position.  Or...well...it's either that, or it's a bit of interchangeable "mixed bag" of just finding guys who have vision and patience as a runner and enough juice to just "take what's there".  But those aren't the guys you ever pay.

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Exactly why it is ridiculous to critique these teams who refuse to give those contracts to players who could barely stay on the field in the first place.

Conversely, also the reason why fans should support players maximizing their income.

• Like 7

On 9/11/2023 at 2:10 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

Yeah I mean, it's one thing to support your team not paying for those players.

It's another thing to not feel some kind of sympathy for players who can lose their career in a fraction.

I don't feel sorry for franchises.

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I'd say rounds 3-5ish. Still have a pretty big need at CB2 and we could also go OT with how old Moses is getting

Gotta factor in the obligatory LB and S draft picks in the first 4 rounds. 

Should they draft one in rounds 1-3? Yes. But something tells me the Ravens think their system is good enough to plug and play just about anyone with a drop of talent.

26 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Gotta factor in the obligatory LB and S draft picks in the first 4 rounds. 

Should they draft one in rounds 1-3? Yes. But something tells me the Ravens think their system is good enough to plug and play just about anyone with a drop of talent.

I mean, it has been.

Dobbins averaged essentially 6 YPC for his career. Gus Edwards has averaged 5.1 YPC in his career in this backfield and he was an UDFA out of Rutgers. Justice Hill has averaged 4.4 as a 4th rounder. Last year the corpse of Kenyan Drake averaged 4.4 with no threat of a passing game whatsoever. Whoever is in the backfield with Lamar tends to produce really well.