Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

So when Fields throws to DJ he is exceptional...

When Fields throw to Kmet he is great...

But when Fields tried to throw to his less talented weapons it doesn't go so well...

It's "almost" like Fields isn't the issue.

Why isn't he doing well throwing to Mooney?

Edited by beardown3231

20 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

mooney had 1000 yards 2 years ago tho

Well that's why I'm asking. What changed?? How come Mooney was a good weapon 2 years ago & a great late round pick and now he's not good enough for Fields? Why does Fields need 3 good weapons when most teams don't have that many?

Edited by beardown3231

35 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

mooney had 1000 yards 2 years ago tho

Exactly...2 years ago before he got hurt and has just never been the same player since...Mooney is the Cody Whitehair of WRs...he was the best we had for a while...didn't mean he was actually very good...we are in a position to surround the QB position with talent like teams such as the the 49ers, Eagles, Bengals, Vikes, Dolphins even the Ravens & Cowboys in a different way with their TEs...Lions if you want to include Gibbs as a weapon in their pass game...yet a team like the Chargers who have a better QB than all those teams bar the Bengals can't do much because their offence talent is either hurt/overrated or two much of the same skill set and can't win deep...

No QB is going to be consistently successful without multiple talents in the passing game and right now we have two guys who can be relied on...just doesn't cut it.

The flip side of that question is asking whether upgrading the remaining weapons suddenly gets Fields something like 1k more air yards of production.... He's simply never come close to putting up actual good qb passing numbers.... It's hard to think that's all on the receivers... His lack of anticipation to just rip the ball in there is a huge factor. 

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Feels like this shows that Fields is part of the issue, just not the issue.

Other QBs can atleast use their secondary weapons to move the ball

I think this is the best way to look at it. Mooney obviously isn't a number one, but if you can't count on Mooney as a 3rd option then I think you're going to be hard-pressed to count on the QB who fails to use him. 

Mooney isn't as bad as his statline is showing just as Fields wasn't as bad as his showed. Tonyan missed a dime that would have been huge, both INTs were on hail mary passes. Mooney had only 2 of 8 catches but 3 were directly due to Fields missing him, not due to Mooney dropping it. 

Fields missed Mooney early when he had pressure in his face but I don't think that was even the pass that should have been made. The dump off to the Scott would have been a better option (though it may have required Scott to make a guy miss on 3rd and 5). I think Fields pre-determined that throw. 

One pass to Mooney was an out and in on 3rd and 4, Mooney cut in and Fields threw it like a stop route. Mooney was right, he had leverage and there was a gap in the middle of the field. That pass is on Fields and SHOULD have been intercepted. Thankfully the DB has stonehands. 

On 2nd and 15 in the 4th he completely overthrew Mooney who had a step on his guy. Fields got hit, but he got hit because he can't seem to anticipate. Fields wants you to be open to throw it but that just isn't how it works in the NFL. He held the ball a bit too long and took the shot due to that. Sucks but it was another potential play left on the field. Hell he overthrew him by like 8 yards too. 

And finally the hail mary, it sucks that it wasn't caught but the team shouldn't have been there in the first place and its incredibly rare to make a catch on those. Especially when you're knocked down, falling backwards then have the ball batted down at you. Its a crazy play and has probably the same success rate as an offside kick. That's 4 of Mooney's 8 targets that he was either missed by Fields (3 of those specifically) or just the closest one to catching while it was intended for someone else anyway. 

If someone wants to pin that on Mooney I won't say its BS, but it is as much Fields' fault as anyone's that they were needing a prayer to win the game. The offense as a whole has been poor. I mean there were 12 attempts of 20 or more yards, 2 were completed, 1 was a horrendous drop, and out of the 9 others only a few even had a chance of being caught. Why are the Bears throwing deep on about a 3rd of their dropbacks when CLE's DL was getting to Fields so quickly? And with how many times Fields had pressure look at how many of those throws he was throwing off his back foot or falling away. It was just a cluster. 

Calls have been bad and situation-oblivious consistently, QB decisions and accuracy has been below average too often, and big plays have been left on the field too often by Fields' supporting cast. Any of the 3 will limit an offense, when all three are happening you have what the Bears offense produced Sunday. 

I think Mooney's catch radius, hand strength, and playing speed are not good with JF1.  Mooney likes to turn around to look for the ball instead of keep running and look for the ball over his shoulder.  Mooney's injury resulted in bad stats this year.

I hope the Bears will get JF1 a great 6'4" top WR from signing or drafting.  Get him a OC1 and add depth to the OL too.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Feels like this shows that Fields is part of the issue, just not the issue.

Other QBs can atleast use their secondary weapons to move the ball

But what other “weapons”? Mooney is the only other guy in the conversation…we don’t have many throws designed for the backs only check downs and Roschon is the only guy with natural hands we have…Tonyan has done nothing here at all…Lewis is an extra tackle at this point…Velus most want him cut…Scott is coming along a bit but his hands are still a real issue…St. Brown no he is a blocker…Taylor shouldn’t even see offensive snaps…

Again no one is saying Fields can’t be better…he HAS to be better…but we also need to help him way more than he currently is…you put Caleb into this offence with those players and he gets eaten alive…whenever the QB is they are going to need more help…my point is why get rid of a guy who has shown clear talent because you know what you actually have?

Fields has been bad.   

But Mooney is just not as good this year as he has been.

His routes are not as good.  He is not as fast.  He is not getting separation he got in past.  He has more drops.  He is not blocking as well as he did before.

It has just been his worst season.  For whatever reason.  Probably combination of his injury and off season work out/body change.

It wouldn't surprise me if he bounced back next year for us or another team.  Really too bad for him it happened in a contract year.