Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

Just now, beardown3231 said:

The Bears were 7-10 last year. They have a good defense, a solid TE1, and a good WR1. They have a solid team now

They still need help on the O-line, D-line, and WR. Agree to disagree?

Just now, Pool said:

They still need help on the O-line, D-line, and WR. Agree to disagree?

Doesn't every team need another good lineman and receiver?

If you're going to wait until they have great receivers and a great OL, we may be waiting awhile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

They also need a QB.

That's a fair take. I'd prefer to give Justin one more year with better receiving options to see what he has. If he is not it then go all in for a QB next  year and have a better situation for a rookie QB to walk into versus getting Williams this year. There will be more talent on the team and less of a locker room problem due to Fields popularity this year if Fields fails.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

If you wait to grab a QB until every other hole on your team is filled, you will never grab a QB that is worthy of the team.

Not so sure that is true man...even look at the Rams with Stafford.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Stafford was viewed by many as a stopgap, semi washed option.  It's clearly the outsider scenario, not the norm.

I wouldn't say anyone thought he was a worse option than Goff...I know I certainly didn't...stop gap sure but your window is your window.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Stafford was viewed by many as a stopgap, semi washed option.  It's clearly the outsider scenario, not the norm.

Sorry but that is absolutely not true. He was viewed as the last piece of the puzzle to get them a  Superbowl because they didn't think Goff was good enough. C'mon man.....

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Pool said:

Sorry but that is absolutely not true. He was viewed as the last piece of the puzzle to get them a  Superbowl because they didn't think Goff was good enough. C'mon man.....

I'm not saying he wasn't an upgrade over Goff because clearly he was (it was really good for both teams in the end), but it was essentially a watered down Brady to TB situation in which you thought you could get a couple years of good play of of him and then you'd be back in the same place as before.  Thats not the way to build a team for sustained success. 

Edited by TankWilliams

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm not saying he wasn't an upgrade over Goff because clearly he was (it was really good for both teams in the end), but it was essentially a watered down Brady to TB situation in which you thought you could get a couple years of good play of of him and then you'd be back in the same place as before.  Thats not the way to build a team for sustained success. 

I don't agree with this. Rams gave up multiple firsts for Stafford. Clearly they viewed him as a guy who could man the position for many years

A smart organization like the Rams doesn't make a move like that just for a 1 or 2 year window 

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Without thinking, who would you rather have:

Player A: 61.3% completion percentage, 7.4 ypa, 58 pass td's, 34 INT's, 88.6 qb rating, 5.9 rushing yards per attempt, 22 fumbles (first 3 years)

Player B: 60.3% completion percentage, 7.0 ypa, 40 pass td's, 30 INT's, 82.3 qb rating, 6.2 rushing yards per attempt, 38 fumbles (first 3 years)

Player A is Mariota

Player B is Fields

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Player A is Mariota

Player B is Fields

Isn’t the more appropriate comparison to look at what they were by year 3 when you’re evaluating what you have after 3 seasons? Not that it skews things all of a sudden drastically in favor of the Pro Fields crowd (though he looks much better in the comparison), but honestly what happened in year 1 is totally irrelevant when you’re evaluating what someone is or is not after 3 seasons. 

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Isn’t the more appropriate comparison to look at what they were by year 3 when you’re evaluating what you have after 3 seasons? Not that it skews things all of a sudden drastically in favor of the Pro Fields crowd (though he looks much better in the comparison), but honestly what happened in year 1 is totally irrelevant when you’re evaluating what someone is or is not after 3 seasons. 

I think you want the total picture, but then you would need to compare situations again.

Just in year 3, Mariota had Delanie Walker as his best receiving option. Then it was Rishard Matthews and Eric Decker in his last ride. Then we'd compare them to Moore, Kmet, Mooney, run games (still surprised Henry was struggling to get playing time over Murray while he was regressing so badly). One could argue Fields had a better cast between his receivers and run game.

• Like 1

Sigh, the next 101 days are going to drive me crazy.

I feel like, at the end of the day, there really isn't a wrong answer regarding Justin Fields or Caleb Williams. Justin is an elite physical talent at the QB position and a wonderful human being that is hard working and dedicated to his craft. What frustrates me about him is the throwing motion and his inability to maximize his arm talent via a stable base and minimal wasted movement in said motion. You watch the QBs in this playoff cycle and you won't see anyone who throws like Justin. It plays a role in him being a tick late on throws.

I also vehemently hate, like to my core, how Justin Fields gets NO ******* CALLS on him for late hits or roughing the passer. It's criminal to the point that it feels intentional. You can see that defenses are making it a coaching point to hit him every time you can, whether it's in the pocket or on a slide, and to keep doing it until a flag is thrown (if I'm not mistaken Justin FIelds did not draw a single personal foul or roughing the passer call last season -- ridiculous!)

As for Caleb Williams, the talent is clearly there and I think he would be a solid fit for what we are trying to do on offense. The questions will be surrounding his background: how is he as a teammate, how is he as a leader, can he handle a tough media market like Chicago where everything -- including what may be a flamboyant personality -- is over-scrutinized?

If you come away from all your scouting and deep dive on his background/character, and your takeaway is there are zero issues, I would be hard pressed to not draft the kid #1 overall and trade Justin Fields away to the highest bidder.

• Like 1