Thursday Night Football- Vikings @ Eagles

KingOfNewYork

Who wins?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Eagles
    • Vikings

20 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

If the Vikings keep losing....do they trade Cousins at the deadline? He's a UFA & i'm sure the Vikings want a long-term fix 

If any legit contending team has an injury to their starting QB, they can trade for Cousins to salvage their season 

Yeah, it's been talked about repeatedly. The Jets bye comes in early. If the Vikes are 2-4 with no division wins, might be time to tank. If I'm the Jets, I am giving up the recouped 1st round pick, so it's like giving up their 1st and 2nd next year for Cousins for 2/3s of the season, with Rogers coming back in '24. That's how I'd play it if I'm Douglas.

21 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Yeah, it's been talked about repeatedly. The Jets bye comes in early. If the Vikes are 2-4 with no division wins, might be time to tank. If I'm the Jets, I am giving up the recouped 1st round pick, so it's like giving up their 1st and 2nd next year for Cousins for 2/3s of the season, with Rogers coming back in '24. That's how I'd play it if I'm Douglas.

It’s not clear that the Jets have access to that frp due to terms of trade. It is clear that GB will get a 2nd but the pick has conditions on it until further notice. As for tanking, it’s only week two. Lot of season left before we get to that point. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

It’s not like the defense possessed the ball at any point during the play. Still think the offense has more right to the ball then the defense but I don’t know, stick the ball on the 20 with no shot of a first down and continue the next down, it shouldn’t be an automatic first down. 

The offense lost the ball though. 

The defense never possess the ball during a safety, you think safeties are dumb too ? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Refugee said:

It’s not clear that the Jets have access to that frp due to terms of trade. It is clear that GB will get a 2nd but the pick has conditions on it until further notice. As for tanking, it’s only week two. Lot of season left before we get to that point. 

I can't imagine reviewing if conditions were met until the term is over, which in this case is the entire regular season.

Edited by Jameson_Neat

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

The issue is the goal line plays. You can't have teams sticking the ball over the endzone carelessly on 3rd and 4th & Goal at the one yard line. That has to be punitive. What you can do is, in a Goal to Go situation, you keep the rule in place, but on a big play like that with a 1st down being converted, the ball comes back to the 20 yard line for the offense. 

The bigger issue is that the offense gets to keep the ball when fumbling out of bounce. 

It doesnt make sense because they dont have to recover the ball, I dont get why people find this normal but that specific touchback rule is dumb ? 

3 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

The bigger issue is that the offense gets to keep the ball when fumbling out of bounce. 

It doesnt make sense because they dont have to recover the ball, I dont get why people find this normal but that specific touchback rule is dumb ? 

We can fix this; each team lines up on their respective 40 and the ref launches the ball onto the logo/field foosball-style.

33 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

I can't imagine reviewing if conditions were met until the term is over, which in this case is the entire regular season.

Agreed, unless there is some language about a season ending injury in the contract which is possible. The Jets dragged this out over tiny details like a 2 spot pick swap while trying to acquire a HOFer.  I doubt our front office is looking to do them any favors without something in return. 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

If the Vikings keep losing....do they trade Cousins at the deadline? He's a UFA & i'm sure the Vikings want a long-term fix 

If any legit contending team has an injury to their starting QB, they can trade for Cousins to salvage their season 

I think so. The Vikes are heavy into analytics now and if they are sitting at only 2-3 wins at the deadline, I think they’d pull the trigger. They’ve got Nick Mullens who has some experience playing. Ultimately the Vikes need a long term solution at QB and that most likely can only be addressed with a top 5 pick. Any ammo they can get from trading Cousins should be pursued. If they are still in the hunt for a division title at the deadline, I don’t see it happening. 

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

You'd trade a first for Cousins to play like 12 games? I'd love for the Jets to pass away draft capital like that but that would be such an awful trade for them lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You'd trade a first for Cousins to play like 12 games? I'd love for the Jets to pass away draft capital like that but that would be such an awful trade for them lol

Because the Vikings have all the leverage. Obviously Cousins is a FA after this year, but it will probably entail the Vikings picking up most of his salary such that it's even possible for the NYJ to make a deal.

Edited by WheatieMan

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Real world applications involved. I can't answer a question with regards to how they are standing with ownership, but if Douglas and Saleh feel like their jobs depend on it, that factors into it. A second would make more sense, but we know that is dead in the water because of the Rodgers trade. Maybe it's a first / second round flip? If they want to win, there will be no better QB than Cousins. 

5 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

The issue is the goal line plays. You can't have teams sticking the ball over the endzone carelessly on 3rd and 4th & Goal at the one yard line. That has to be punitive. What you can do is, in a Goal to Go situation, you keep the rule in place, but on a big play like that with a 1st down being converted, the ball comes back to the 20 yard line for the offense. 

You just answered why the rule is in place and doesn't need to be changed.

You can't have two separate rules for goal line scoring plays, that's absurd. Hell everything goal line related is whacky if you really look at it.

Why does the entire football have to clear the goal line when a possible Safety is going to be called?

Yet when trying to score on offense if any portion of the football crosses the line, the TD counts? Not the entire football, the tip?

There's nothing wrong with the rule, there needs to be consequences when diving towards the endzone resulting in a FBL.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

You telling the Jets can't get an amendment with the league offices? And if GB plays hardball, (and I've mentioned this on the Jet boards to the other notable Pack fan), teams will never do business with GB again. You can't in good faith disallow a team to improve itself at the EXPENSE OF YOUR DIVISION RIVAL, who will be tanking. The Packers would play the Vikings post NYJ bye week, the ideal time to approve the trade and get your young QB in the playoffs. A 1st round pick is justified. It's not going to be a top 10 pick unless Wilson gets injured... which would further necessitate a desperation trade sooner rather than later.