The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

27 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm tired of kicking this can down the road trying out middling backups or late round picks while other teams select their young guy and are in the playoffs every year.

This is the one for me.

It’s been four decades since we could even squint real hard and claim some guy is “our franchise QB.” Since before you and I were born. Coach Gibbs made that irrelevant for a while, because of his brilliance. But once he stepped down, it’s been 30 years of futility in finding The Guy™️

We’ve tried and failed to find The Guy™️ pretty much every which way there is. Use a top 5 draft pick (Shuler, RGIII). Take a less-heralded guy later in the first (Ramsey, Campbell, Haskins). Roll with some late draft pick (Frerotte, Cousins, Howell). Trade for somebody else’s aging former star (Brunell, McNabb). Trade for a proven player on the outs with his team (Johnson, Smith, Wentz). Sign a journeyman FA (George, Banks, Grossman, McCoy, Keenum, Fitzpatrick). Bring in a former Spurrier QB for Spurrier (Matthews, Wuerffel). Just play a total unknown FA off the scrap heap (Green, Heinicke).

It’s all failed. Miserably.

But when I look around the league, the highest success rate is still pretty clearly taking a high-end talent at QB and immediately pairing him with good offensive coaching. Where we are right now — a highly competent GM and a highly competent coach hand-picking their franchise guy with a top 2 pick — feels like the closest we’ve been in all this time. For once, it seems like things are actually falling into place for us, and I have more optimism right now that we’ll be able to get an ultra-talented QB and mold him into a star than I’ve had in all those 30 years. You have to be willing to strike while the iron’s hot, and it just feels like it’s burning up for us right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Maybe it’s just a phrasing thing and I’m being too literal because I’m accustomed to “tools” meaning “abilities.” But this feels like an odd thing to say.

What “tool(s)” do you feel Maye and Daniels lack?

I have no confidence in Maye being anything. I feel that he processes things slowly and will probably mentally struggle in the NFL. I also feel that 95% of running QBs fail to become franchise QBs. 

I understand that I am in the minority here, but this is not a strong QB class. 

22 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

And yet S F is in the Championship game with Mr. Irrelevant at Q B. Go figure.

Purdy is a one in a million find. He's so much of a find and the Niners thought so much of him that they waited until the last pick of a draft where they gave up three first round picks to take another guy at the same position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Purdy is a one in a million find. He's so much of a find and the Niners thought so much of him that they waited until the last pick of a draft where they gave up three first round picks to take another guy at the same position.

I’m just quoting this so I don’t have too go back. And I get it as fans were tired. I get all the points. We’re here just do it. We got blessed with this pick. Could be but we’ve had the number 2 overall pick like 5 times in my life and we’ve swung and missed huge every single time!!! If we had the top pick and could legit pick between all 3 I’d say hell yeah. But how many times does the top team miss and the second team end up bust? For all the Peters and Lance talk we’re talking about 3 of the top 3 picks how much better are the odds of 2/3 busting? I’m sure the odds are just worse and worse. I get it as a fan. But I’m not looking at this as a fan.

I’m looking at it like I have grades and a ton of time watching these guys. You think that the Bears traded the top pick last year because they were sold on Young? So if they aren’t coming off 1 then you can bet the pick of the liter is being taken. So now your drafting the 10th best player if that in the draft at two. Again QB’s get pushed up but if you think Daniels or Maye are better players then ether top OT’s any of the top 5 WR’s maybe even more, Bowers, I can keep going. It’s not close. See we always do this. There are true super stars avalible and we’re gonna draft NEED!!! We just cried for 4 years for drafting this guy or that guy too high and our first year Ron being gone your preaching for it!!! Idc where experts grade. If you think Maye is the second best even top 10 player in this draft. It’s nuts. Daniels maybe is because his last years tape but his get hit rate says wait. There is a legit Jefferson level WR’s and there is a unicorn Gronk level TE!!! There is one legit blue chip Tyron,Trent, Sewell level OT!!! And you want frigen Daniel Jones/Trevor Lawrence Jax version it just baffles me. If this was a Brandon Schreff level draft hell yeah I’d overdraft my QB. This draft is full of franchise altering players up top and we’re falling for media push-up hype because they can’t explain seperation of QB ability and production over better players at other positions.

2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina
36: R2 P4 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
40: R2 P8 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
67: R3 P3 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
99: R3 P35 LB Cedric Gray - North Carolina
102: R4 P2 RB Mar'Keise Irving - Oregon
140: R5 P4 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M
178: R6 P3 EDGE Jaylen Harrell - Michigan
221: R7 P2 RB Jarquez Hunter - Auburn
Ben will help Drake out with his adjustments to the NFL. 
Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

This is the one for me.

It’s been four decades since we could even squint real hard and claim some guy is “our franchise QB.” Since before you and I were born. Coach Gibbs made that irrelevant for a while, because of his brilliance. But once he stepped down, it’s been 30 years of futility in finding The Guy™️

We’ve tried and failed to find The Guy™️ pretty much every which way there is. Use a top 5 draft pick (Shuler, RGIII). Take a less-heralded guy later in the first (Ramsey, Campbell, Haskins). Roll with some late draft pick (Frerotte, Cousins, Howell). Trade for somebody else’s aging former star (Brunell, McNabb). Trade for a proven player on the outs with his team (Johnson, Smith, Wentz). Sign a journeyman FA (George, Banks, Grossman, McCoy, Keenum, Fitzpatrick). Bring in a former Spurrier QB for Spurrier (Matthews, Wuerffel). Just play a total unknown FA off the scrap heap (Green, Heinicke).

It’s all failed. Miserably.

But when I look around the league, the highest success rate is still pretty clearly taking a high-end talent at QB and immediately pairing him with good offensive coaching. Where we are right now — a highly competent GM and a highly competent coach hand-picking their franchise guy with a top 2 pick — feels like the closest we’ve been in all this time. For once, it seems like things are actually falling into place for us, and I have more optimism right now that we’ll be able to get an ultra-talented QB and mold him into a star than I’ve had in all those 30 years. You have to be willing to strike while the iron’s hot, and it just feels like it’s burning up for us right now.

Funny how **** Vermeil took our castoff (Trent Green) and another local castoff (Priest Holmes) and made something of it.  All the while jumpstarting the career of another guy who never got a chance in Kurt Warner.  

I think the biggest issue is that the culture hasn’t been here either.  The only time you could argue we had a decent culture was when Gibbs was here, and Brunell actually worked decently.  Brad Johnson also worked well before Snyder sunk his teeth into things.  

The veteran could work well, but I am with you, I think we need to invest in that #2 pick with a great young mind and let them grow together.  If Peter’s can fix the organizational culture and Harris proves the same level of patience and hands-off that he has with the Sixers and Devils, culture is taken care of.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Funny how **** Vermeil took our castoff (Trent Green) and another local castoff (Priest Holmes) and made something of it.  All the while jumpstarting the career of another guy who never got a chance in Kurt Warner.  

I think the biggest issue is that the culture hasn’t been here either.  The only time you could argue we had a decent culture was when Gibbs was here, and Brunell actually worked decently.  Brad Johnson also worked well before Snyder sunk his teeth into things.  

The veteran could work well, but I am with you, I think we need to invest in that #2 pick with a great young mind and let them grow together.  If Peter’s can fix the organizational culture and Harris proves the same level of patience and hands-off that he has with the Sixers and Devils, culture is taken care of.  

Didn’t we lose Trent because we didn’t have an owner? 

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:
2: R1 P2 QB Drake Maye - North Carolina
36: R2 P4 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
40: R2 P8 C Jackson Powers-Johnson - Oregon
67: R3 P3 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
99: R3 P35 LB Cedric Gray - North Carolina
102: R4 P2 RB Mar'Keise Irving - Oregon
140: R5 P4 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M
178: R6 P3 EDGE Jaylen Harrell - Michigan
221: R7 P2 RB Jarquez Hunter - Auburn
Ben will help Drake out with his adjustments to the NFL. 

I see 4 starters, maybe 4 starters next year.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Didn’t we lose Trent because we didn’t have an owner? 

Yes, that's what Casserly said. He didn't even have approval to franchise Trent Green, let alone sign him to a long term extension.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:00 AM, lavar703 said:

If they choose to pass on QB to trade back for an OT and Maye or Daniels end up being great its going to look very bad on this regime. 

Yeah, that will look awful, especially if Sam Howell doesn't improve over last year to become a definite top 15ish QB.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:24 AM, ripsean21 said:

It does. But it looks a lot worse if you take them and you get Daniel Jones or worse and for Daniels if he doesn’t look like Kyler or close to any of the other runners your in bigger trouble.

Yeah, but at least then you took that chance on a young QB prospect. Let's use RG3 for ex. let's imagine we didn't take RG3 in 2012 & instead, we didn't do what a lot of us wanted to do & drafted WR Justin Blackmon meanwhile RG3 went on to have the rookie season he did in 2012 for the Browns.

That would've been a lot worse.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:30 AM, Slappy Mc said:

I'm fairly confident that only Caleb Williams has the tools to be a franchise QB and that is if he figures out how to mature and be a professional. 

I know there are a lot of people that feel differently, but I would take MHJr or Alt/Fashanu over every QB prospect-wise. 

I think Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels & even Bo Nix & JJ McCarthy have the tools to be a franchise QB, the question is can they improve on their flaws & become more consistent in their play to get there?

They all 4 have strong arms, are athletic, and have good heads on their shoulders. They just have to become more consistent in their decision-making, with their mechanics and working from the pocket with their pocket presence & reads to get there.

It's possible at least a few out of those 4 get there.

I think Penix tops out as an average starter at best.