The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly it sucks we have so many needs because I truly feel that Bowers is a luxury pick at his draft value. You have to not have other needs at premium positions to get a guy like him, but man can the dude ball. Every game he shows up. He would lift any offense this team put together to new heights. 

I don’t think he’s a luxuary. I think he’s a cornerstone. He helps the run and pass. Not an elite blocker but he’s better than what we have outside of maybe Bates but Bates is pretty great. But Bowers isn’t Turner or Logan. You don’t have to pull him off like Kincaid or Pitts to run the ball. This guys blocking is on Par with Hockenson with better numbers then Kyle Pitts. He’s legit Gronkowski coming out without multiple major injuries. Honestly he’s bigger and moves like Aaron Hernandez. Maybe not a popular player to pin someone too but Aaron the player was special. You take the off the field he was a special prospect and Bowers is even better.

This guy will make Terry Jahan and whoever is under center elevate. This guy is a defensive coordinator nightmare. Terry would get a lot less brackets with this guy poaching the middle

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

So ideally you can probably trade back to anywhere in the top 8 and get 1 of those 5 if QB goes 1,2,3

I have hopes for setting up the future while still getting a top tier talent. 

I'm not sold on any of the QBs. If Caleb Williams falls into our lap, I won't be upset if they rush to the podium. If we trade up in anyway however, that is worst case scenario IMO.

I honestly just want someone that produces with our 1st round pick. It has been a long time since we have made a good 1st round pick. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not sold on any of the QBs. If Caleb Williams falls into our lap, I won't be upset if they rush to the podium. If we trade up in anyway however, that is worst case scenario IMO.

I honestly just want someone that produces with our 1st round pick. It has been a long time since we have made a good 1st round pick. 

I agree!!! I trust Peters. If the QB they want isn’t there I believe they won’t take one. If they do it’s because it’s their guy. Because as much as his teams have moved the board when he’s been with teams I believe he will maximize return for whatever he does. If he picks or trades I believe he will get it right. Not because I’m being a homer but because I went to the seniorbowl practices the Terry Debo year. That year I loved AJ brown. After seniorbowl week watching Deebo torching DB’s I was pounding that table. Terry was a close second but what Deebo was doing was nuts. That team consistently eyes players at some point I jump on. They do trade more lately in the McVay trend more then I like but Trent was theft and CMac I mean I make that trade for that team too

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We have to go back to Scherff huh? and he was drafted to play tackle and ended up at guard.

16 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

We have to go back to Scherff huh? and he was drafted to play tackle and ended up at guard.

At the end of the day, he didn't receive a second contract here so I wouldn't even include him.

Jon Allen and Daron Payne are probably some of our most successful picks, but before that it's Kerrigan and Trent Williams. We have had some really bad 1st round picks over the past 10-15 years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I still can’t believe we were on the clock with Kyle Hamilton and Chris Olave available and ended up with Jahan Dotson lol. I’m hoping these are the type of mistakes Peters stops this team from making going forward. 

We did get Brian Robinson out of that trade. I know you haven’t liked Dotson since he was drafted. He’s a good receiver, they just haven’t used him the right way to show what he can do. You of all people know this last coaching staff has not done any of these players any favors. Give him a chance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

We did get Brian Robinson out of that trade. I know you haven’t liked Dotson since he was drafted. He’s a good receiver, they just haven’t used him the right way to show what he can do. You of all people know this last coaching staff has not done any of these players any favors. Give him a chance. 

I overrated my assumptions for Dotson's contributions this year, but you're damn right he's on my list of best bounce backs next year. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I still can’t believe we were on the clock with Kyle Hamilton and Chris Olave available and ended up with Jahan Dotson lol. I’m hoping these are the type of mistakes Peters stops this team from making going forward. 

Much like Emmanuel Forbes, I'm sure they locked onto one player and nothing else mattered. 

There were quite a few that wanted Olave where we traded out of. I know I was banging the table for Hamilton and we traded down. 

We did net a few other players from the trade, but I agree that hopefully having a good/great talent evaluator can help limit these scenarios. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I don't hate Jahan Dotson. I hate that we had much better players on the board available to us and we decided to trade back and pick him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jahan has a really special skillset. I’ve never seen him drop passes like he had this year. Honestly though we can say whatever about Turner but this guy was a beast for a rookie with Turner and marginal QB play. EB didn’t get through too Jahan and he clearly didn’t listen to thinks from Jahan as far as what he likes and sees. That’s why I like Ben Johnson. Jahan and Terry are 1000 yard 6 -10 TD guys. EB just never maximized sets or matchups. And honestly I like Sam but he missed guys but it’s year one starting in the league. The great thing about Sam’s season is he has a ton of tape to go into the lab to work on things but it’s completely up to him. He will get another chance. It’s up to him to improve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Much like Emmanuel Forbes, I'm sure they locked onto one player and nothing else mattered. 

There were quite a few that wanted Olave where we traded out of. I know I was banging the table for Hamilton and we traded down. 

We did net a few other players from the trade, but I agree that hopefully having a good/great talent evaluator can help limit these scenarios. 

I’m with you it was Wilson, Hamilton, McDuffie or Olave. And that’s the order I had them too be fair I had Sauce as my top player that year knew we had no shot. But I had Woolen in my top 25 like every year my favorite grades are CB’s because that’s my spot. But every year I fall in love with CB’s like Witherspoon, PS2, Lattimore, and then grade out guys that go round two or three in my top 30 and they show out. While I liked Forbes growth in his tape and his playmaking ability he just wasn’t ahead of Witherspoon Gonzalez or Banks. This last regime just drove me crazy.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

This dude isn’t a normal TE!!!

Neither was Pitts at the time and he is nothing special.

But honestly Bowers at 8 is a lot different than #2 or top 5.  I could get on board for that.  Although I think @Slappy Mc should have still taken a qb in the second.  

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

Neither was Pitts at the time and he is nothing special.

But honestly Bowers at 8 is a lot different than #2 or top 5.  I could get on board for that.  Although I think @Slappy Mc should have still taken a qb in the second.  

Pitts is a weapon. He hasn’t had a good QB for his game. QB’s have to throw it into coverage for guys like Pitts and London. Ridder is a conservative QB. They don’t mesh strengths. Same with Mariota. Now I did think Taylor would throw it up to them but he’s barely played. At Florida Trash was constantly throwing Pitts F-it  balls. 

Think Atl would take a second for him lol?

But seriously Slingin Sammy Howell wasnt much worse than Peyton his rookie season (18 int)I am all for Brock Bowers in the first and Xavier Legette in the second plus a couple olinemen.Then letting Sam have another go with a more inovative OC and better protection.Using our strong RBs to carry us and not putting it all on Howell to win it for us.In the glory years when I was young they could always run the ball when it mattered.To run out games and add points.They new it was coming and couldnt stop it.It is what we need again.Draft another QB with 1 of the seconds.Nix Maybe?

• Like 2