The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

19 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Is the gap from Williams to the next 2 insurmountable?

Personally, I don't think the gap between Williams and Maye is as big as the gap from Maye to Daniels. I know I'm very much in the minority with that thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TOUCAN said:

The thing is you can trade back but if you trade back to like 11, you're going to miss on all 4 top QB prospects. JJ won't get past New York. I'm a big JJ truther, I don't think he was used properly much of his time at Michigan. Also aside from TEs, while Wilson is working out well and going up draft boards, Wilson wasn't that great. Now, working over the middle? JJ can do that. Thats what I do like about him.

To me, that is too much "playing the draft game". I have been steadfast that this first draft pick and the decision that comes with it is the most important thing to happen for this F.O./staff group. It has to be correct and it has to work. 

I know you can never guarantee anything, but that is the job of the evaluators. They MUST get it right. Trading down and "hoping" a player is there is just irresponsible, IMO. 

That is why I am 99.99% sure we draft a QB at 2 (or 3).

• Like 1

trading down - the thing is there are several good O T prospects. You don't focus on one. Just take the best one still there . If you miss you're not seatng the franchise back years like if you miss on the Q B . IDK, damned if you do damned if you don't.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:50 PM, e16bball said:

Not if one of those picks is #2 in a QB-heavy draft. The Chiefs or Bills or Ravens might give up multiple 1st for Jefferson, but their picks are not created equal to the one we’re discussing here.

You’d have to add (at least) two 1sts to pick 11 to get Washington to pick up the phone, so if that’s also Jefferson’s value — then I think @BigTimeRedskins was probably right on the money with his suggestion. 

I wouldn’t do that deal. No sense having Jefferson if you have no one to get the ball to him. And it’s one thing to have Jefferson on a rookie contract — something a bit different if you’re paying him $30M+ AAV. I’d need more to move down from 2 to 11. But I do think it’s at least in the ballpark, value-wise.

Hard disagree.

These types of discussions are fun. In what hypothetical universe other than Madden do you get Jefferson AND anything? You get just Jefferson. That’s it. We get pretty much anything we want — obviously, within reason. 

For a player that’s not even a sure thing, and very highly likely could be mediocre to just bad? Just because you have a high pick? And?  Jefferson is likely the best WR ok the league, and barring injury will continue to be for a long time. Finding a QB is on your team to do. Just for the sake of discussion, if Washington wanted Jefferson, they aren’t getting him just because their pick is really high. It will take a lot more  

I get a pick for pick type deal costing a lot.

However, Jefferson demands your next two 1st rounders at the very least. Probably even throw McLaurin in there too. 

Edited by Morlee

@Morlee with all due respect, you are barking up the wrong tree. You posed a question and scenario outside the realm of possibility and were answered with what you deemed to be just as offensive of a response. You should consider this a no-win conversation with two sides over-inflating their teams asset and probably move on. 

The answer to your original question is no on all fronts. Your team will have to "overpay" if they want to move up at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TOUCAN said:

Is the gap from Williams to the next 2 insurmountable?

I don't want anything to do with Caleb Williams.  Too many character concerns, daddy stuff, weird things he has done.  These aren't scary red flags, but ones that you don't want a franchise qb to have.  Maybe a WR or a DE, but not the leader in the locker room.  

1 hour ago, Morlee said:

Hard disagree.

These types of discussions are fun. In what hypothetical universe other than Madden do you get Jefferson AND anything? You get just Jefferson. That’s it. We get pretty much anything we want — obviously, within reason. 

For a player that’s not even a sure thing, and very highly likely could be mediocre to just bad? Just because you have a high pick? And?  Jefferson is likely the best WR ok the league, and barring injury will continue to be for a long time. Finding a QB is on your team to do. Just for the sake of discussion, if Washington wanted Jefferson, they aren’t getting him just because their pick is really high. It will take a lot more  

I get a pick for pick type deal costing a lot.

However, Jefferson demands your next two 1st rounders at the very least. Probably even throw McLaurin in there too. 

I don’t agree with any of this. We saw moving from 9 to 1 last year alone is worth two firsts, two seconds and a high quality WR. #2 overall alone is worth more than Jefferson. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't want anything to do with Caleb Williams.  Too many character concerns, daddy stuff, weird things he has done.  These aren't scary red flags, but ones that you don't want a franchise qb to have.  Maybe a WR or a DE, but not the leader in the locker room.  

Wait… weird things? Like… paint his nails or the stuff that’s been unsubstantiated?

37 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Tim Crean
So, the perfect trade the Vikings must offer Commanders for the No. 2 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft is No. 11, No. 23, their 2025 first, and 2025 third.

Do you do this trade?

Very tempting. 

I'm still a hard pass. We need a QB this year. As been preached by others the QB class is very poor next year. No reason to pass on our best shot at a top QB.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Tim Crean
So, the perfect trade the Vikings must offer Commanders for the No. 2 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft is No. 11, No. 23, their 2025 first, and 2025 third.

Do you do this trade?

Very tempting. 

No that is not enough 

• Like 2

Trending: Arizona OT Jordan Morgan is scheduled to visit with the #Commanders before the NFL Draft, per @_RyanFowler_.

Also, Morgan is strongly considered to not make it past the #Commanders with the 36th pick, per @TonyPauline.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

To me, that is too much "playing the draft game". I have been steadfast that this first draft pick and the decision that comes with it is the most important thing to happen for this F.O./staff group. It has to be correct and it has to work. 

I know you can never guarantee anything, but that is the job of the evaluators. They MUST get it right. Trading down and "hoping" a player is there is just irresponsible, IMO. 

That is why I am 99.99% sure we draft a QB at 2 (or 3).

Yup.

By trading away Sam, they really only have Mariota on the roster. The new GM and HC are gonna want to work with (not to mention Kingsbury and Johnson are salivating about) a new QB...ASAP

And there's no way they take the chance in trading back to 11 and missing out on the top 4 (or 5) QBs.

This isn't the Pats where we have our QB and we can afford to trade back, trade back, trade back.

They HAVE to get this one right...right out of the gate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup.

By trading away Sam, they really only have Mariota on the roster. The new GM and HC are gonna want to work with (not to mention Kingsbury and Johnson are salivating about) a new QB...ASAP

And there's no way they take the chance in trading back to 11 and missing out on the top 4 (or 5) QBs.

This isn't the Pats where we have our QB and we can afford to trade back, trade back, trade back.

They HAVE to get this one right...right out of the gate.

We still have Jake Fromm to back up Mariota. We’re set. 

• Like 2