The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

I think I speak for all of us (okay - ALMOST all of us) in saying that we truly do not KNOW which QB is going to work out. We've seen "Sure fire, can't miss" QBs flame out. And then we've seen other QBs  (that the scouts and the "experts" said were Day 2 and Day 3 QBs and would be career backups if they even made the league ) go on to have great careers (Even winning SBs or at least QB'ing their teams to the big game). 

So in all honesty, I'm going to put my trust in Peters here and hope he finds our QB. Will I be surprised or unhappy with his selection at first? Yeah, probably. Because I'm seeing it from my POV and I have my QBs I like (some of them are the ones everyone thinks are 2nd and 3rd rounders). I don't have the benefit he does of talking with them, their coaches, the extra people looking at him, talking with my HC and OC to see who they like, etc...

So I really don't care, at the end of the day, if it's Penix, or JJ, or Drake, or Jayden, or Bo. 

I just want a freakin' QB! 

One that we can put in, and develop, and he can lead the team to many victories and some Lombardis over his career while I'm still breathing on this mortal coil.

I turn 55. We last won the SB when I was 22. I could've had a son that day of the SB and he would be in his 30s now with a wife, house, and kids of his own and would've grown up his entire life not knowing the joy that I did as a young kid, teenager, and college aged adult when my team was actually something in this league.

And it starts at QB.

They HAVE to get this right. And quite frankly, I don't care if it's Bo Nix or anyone else. Just as long as whoever they pick turns out to be the RIGHT choice and helps win games for us. 

Think about it. If we end up with 3 Lombardis in like 12 years like the 80s and 90s, will anyone care if we selected JJ over Drake? Or Penix over all of them?

No.

And as I said before. This is the very BEST position in which to evaluate Peters. He has the #2 pick. He had $80M in cap space. It's not like he walked in with a mid or late 1st rounder and zippy cap space. He's literally been given the best possible opportunity to show he can build a team. We were almost down to "level zero" (*) when he walked in and he has to show he can turn this around.

And again...it starts at QB.

I just want to win, fellas. I'm tired of this game of plugging in QBs that don't fit, not developing them, losing, and then we wash-rinse-repeat for the next 30+ years.

So I'm gonna trust him on this one. 

But man, in a few years if he's wrong, I'm gonna flame the heck out of him (and especially since Commanders Park is very local to me)

(*) bonus goes to someone who gets that movie reference.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I turn 55. We last won the SB when I was 22.

such a pup... i've been a Viking fan since 1969 and they've lost four Supers in the following seven years and never returned.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Don't be stupid about this. Just take Drake Maye. Take the guy who has been the consensus #2 QB in this class for two years. For the love of god, do not screw this up. 

Maye is getting dissed a lot lately as being a bigger risk than others, which i also suspect smells of manufactured smoke...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mention this timeline to again bring us back to the current timeline.

I mean, we can go back and forth on this all day long, because Rivera was talking nonsense about the QB situation all offseason. Sam was the starter, but he still had to earn the job, but they want him to be the guy, but they wanted Jacoby to compete for the job, but they think it’ll be Sam, but it might not be.

When Brissett signed, Keim’s initial article said “they found a player who fills a desired role: a solid backup who can compete for a starting job.”

He went on to say “Commanders head coach Ron Rivera has said repeatedly that Sam Howell, a fifth-round pick last spring, will enter the offseason as the team's starting quarterback -- but that he still must earn the job. Rivera wanted competition for Howell, which Brissett will provide.”

It’s all just desperate coach speak, which I think we agree on. Rivera was trying to will something into existence, in the form of Sam emerging as a star and saving his job.

Anyway, I guess I just see the situations as pretty comparable. 

They wanted Sam to be the starter, and the plan was for him to start unless he just wasn’t ready. If he wasn’t (or got hurt, obviously), then Jacoby would start.

I believe this FO will want their rookie to be the starter, and the plan will be for him to start unless just isn’t ready. If he isn’t (or gets hurt, obviously), then Mariota will start.

Where I do agree with you is that I think it’s more likely this FO will decide the rookie isn’t quite ready than that Rivera and co. were ever going to decide that Sam wasn’t ready. They have the luxury of patience, with a 5-year contract on their chosen guy. So I do think you’re right that it’s likely that Mariota will play more than Brissett did.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I mean, we can go back and forth on this all day long, because Rivera was talking nonsense about the QB situation all offseason. Sam was the starter, but he still had to earn the job, but they want him to be the guy, but they wanted Jacoby to compete for the job, but they think it’ll be Sam, but it might not be.

When Brissett signed, Keim’s initial article said “they found a player who fills a desired role: a solid backup who can compete for a starting job.”

He went on to say “Commanders head coach Ron Rivera has said repeatedly that Sam Howell, a fifth-round pick last spring, will enter the offseason as the team's starting quarterback -- but that he still must earn the job. Rivera wanted competition for Howell, which Brissett will provide.”

It’s all just desperate coach speak, which I think we agree on. Rivera was trying to will something into existence, in the form of Sam emerging as a star and saving his job.

Anyway, I guess I just see the situations as pretty comparable. 

They wanted Sam to be the starter, and the plan was for him to start unless he just wasn’t ready. If he wasn’t (or got hurt, obviously), then Jacoby would start.

If you truly believe this to be true, I won't waste my breath. 

There was zero competition. All Sam had to do was show up and not look terrible. Ron Rivera had final say on all roster decisions. Sam Howell was his only chance at keeping his job. Every press conference was about Sam. There was no chance for Brissett to see the field. Even when the season was lost and Sam was clearly an issue, Ron did everything he could for Howell to "figure it out."

You are correct though this F.O. has the luxury of the long game and maybe that means they sit the QB they draft "an appropriate amount of time." IMO we are very likely to ruin our new shiny QBs potential, the same way that Ron and EB ruined Howell, if we rush him too quickly, especially on a bad team. 

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I can blast you out a room in the Curmudgeon's cave if you'd like. Will keep it real dark and only let people in to see you if they have a keycard.

This is my last chance at my misfit QB 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

Just likeany report it could be truth or smokescreen. It could be the Mac jones case where he was going 3 then theytook Lance. Honestly idc who they pick even though i like all of us have a preference. What i really care about is its the player whos skillset fit what they want to do so they maximize him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Don't be stupid about this. Just take Drake Maye. Take the guy who has been the consensus #2 QB in this class for two years. For the love of god, do not screw this up. 

Yeah, I've been going back and forth between Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye lately. But in the beginning of the off-season I had Maye way above Daniels. I honestly even thought he might be better than Caleb Williams (his losses to Utah bug me). 

With that being said, I agree with you. I think Maye is the correct pick and I'm now going to stick with that. He makes all the throws, he's loyal, reminds me of a Herbert and Allen hybrid.

I still take issue with Jayden Daniels being a late bloomer, not sliding, and his performance against FSU. Honestly, the lack of sliding is probably my biggest concern with his frame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Yeah, I've been going back and forth between Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye lately. But in the beginning of the off-season I had Maye way above Daniels. I honestly even thought he might be better than Caleb Williams (his losses to Utah bug me). 

With that being said, I agree with you. I think Maye is the correct pick and I'm now going to stick with that. He makes all the throws, he's loyal, reminds me of a Herbert and Allen hybrid.

I still take issue with Jayden Daniels being a late bloomer, not sliding, and his performance against FSU. Honestly, the lack of sliding is probably my biggest concern with his frame.

I go back and forth with how I feel about Jayden Daniels. I have never had him above Maye but I think he's very talented. I watched Chris Simms basically trash Maye and talk about Daniels like he was the second-coming so I started wondering if there was stuff I was missing while watching Daniels and there could be. I just can't watch both of them and not see the difference in throwing ability. To me its just a major difference in arm talent. Maye just does things throwing the ball that Daniels is not capable of. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I watched Chris Simms basically trash Maye and talk about Daniels like he was the second-coming

Fun fact, this happens every offseason. Everyone wants "their take" to be right so they can talk about how they "got that one right" and disregard the 100 other takes they were completely wrong about. Tearing down one prospect to prop up the guy you think is better is commonplace for "analysts" and fans alike. 

The reality, to me at least, is that every prospect has their good and their bad and are very likely (at least the QB position) going to be overhyped or overvalued by some media source to get clicks and views. It also seems to drive the value of said prospect up in the public eye. 

I say all that to say that just because you have a preference or feel that you see something in a player that others don't see, doesn't make your views wrong or less than. Chris Simms just has a platform he can spout whatever he wants from. Trust your research and your feelings and don't listen to the noise. 

5 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

6’1 plus is the size that Quinn likes at CB for his D.

A 42.5” vert is ridiculous! As Ryan said, he's an explosive athlete & that very is tied for 1st amongst all Participants.

Getting someone like him in R2 would be nice for our D. I still hope we take a OT too. 

Edited by turtle28