The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

26 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

We’ve had the wrong people doing the rebuilding. We’ve regressed or haven’t made any improvements in that time.

I don't believe we have put the players in a position to succeed. I believe there is more talent on the roster than our record shows.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't believe we have put the players in a position to succeed. I believe there is more talent on the roster than our record shows.

That was my take -earlier. I'm becoming increasingly doubtful as to my previous opinion 😕

• Like 1

I will again say, talent doesn't mean they are good players. All of the people fortunate enough to play in the NFL are talented, but not all players have the mental AND physical skills to succeed in the NFL. I do not doubt, in fact very much agree, that the incompetent staff hasn't put them in a position to succeed, but even then some should stand out as capable and there are very few on this roster that fit that mold. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

This team could turn around as quickly as next year with better leadership, a different defense scheme, another year of Howell development, and all those picks and cap space used well. There's no reason to dump them. 

Standig and Sheehan seem to think they will pick a QB in the first round

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Standig and Sheehan seem to think they will pick a QB in the first round

Glad they have their crystal ball out. Who do they have coming in to run the show? Since that will most likely come first, that should be easier to predict than something that happens next April. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Glad they have their crystal ball out. Who do they have coming in to run the show? Since that will most likely come first, that should be easier to predict than something that happens next April. 

I personally think its crazy unless you end up with Maye or Williams. And honestly, I'm down to just Maye now because I think Williams is going to be a pain in the butt to deal with. I don't want another player who's dad is that involved again. 

• Like 2

I agree the coaching here has been very suspect and not willing to bend when it comes to coaching to a players strength. For me, There’s only a few positions that don’t need to be really addressed. If you like SH you roll with him, RB I like what we have with B-Rob and C-Rod but a compliment 3rd down back would be nice and of course punter. Every other position I think could use a talent upgrade, so positions a lot more than others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I will again say, talent doesn't mean they are good players. All of the people fortunate enough to play in the NFL are talented, but not all players have the mental AND physical skills to succeed in the NFL. I do not doubt, in fact very much agree, that the incompetent staff hasn't put them in a position to succeed, but even then some should stand out as capable and there are very few on this roster that fit that mold. 

Well I just have a different opinion than you then. 

Using all of the division leaders

AFC East- Dolphins- LT Terron Armstead 3rd round pick (free agent signing)

AFC North- Ravens- LT Ronnie Stanley 1st round pick- Leno Higher

AFC South- Jaguars- LT- Walker Little 2nd round pick- Leno Higher

AFC West- Chiefs- LT- Donovan Smith 2nd round pick (free agent signing)- Leno higher

NFC East- Eagles- Jordan Mailata 7th round pick

NFC North- Lions- Taylor Decker 1st round pick

NFC South- Falcons- Jake Matthews 1st round pick- Leno Higher

NFC West- 49ers- Trent Williams 1st round pick (trade)

4 out of the 8 division leaders have a first round pick at LT. Of the 4 first rounders only Trent Williams and Taylor Decker have a higher PFF score than Charles Leno lol. Out of 8 division leading teams right now, Leno scores higher than 4 of their starting LT. I think the hate Leno gets from this fanbase is totally wrong and while I don't see him as a premier tackle and I don't think PFF is a great source for these things I'm much more concerned about RT than I am Leno at LT. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

AFC West- Chiefs- LT- Donovan Smith 2nd round pick (free agent signing)- Leno higher

4 out of the 8 division leaders have a first round pick at LT. Of the 4 first rounders only Trent Williams and Taylor Decker have a higher PFF score than Charles Leno lol. Out of 8 division leading teams right now, Leno scores higher than 4 of their starting LT. I think the hate Leno gets from this fanbase is totally wrong and while I don't see him as a premier tackle and I don't think PFF is a great source for these things I'm much more concerned about RT than I am Leno at LT. 

Leno is serviceable but not a realistic long term option. He will be 33 years old next year and will start to decline. Realistically we need 5 new starters on the Oline because I think Cosmi is a lost cause as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Leno is serviceable but not a realistic long term option. He will be 33 years old next year and will start to decline. Realistically we need 5 new starters on the Oline because I think Cosmi is a lost cause as well. 

Oh definitely. My point was you don’t have to use a top 10 pick to get a solid LT. You don’t even have to use a top 10 pick to get great LT like Jordan Mailata or Terron Armstead. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well I just have a different opinion than you then. 

All good man. There have been many situations that people have disagreed with me and most of the time, I hope to be wrong, because I usually call it as I see it rather than my hopes for the future. 

The fact is that no one, I repeat NO ONE, on this team had earned their spot next year. Everyone on this team is what their record indicates and everyone's job should he scrutinized to the point that they could be replaced. 

There is absolutely zero chance I give ALL, or most, of them another opportunity to show their worth next year. There is some really bad tape on just about everyone this year. Hell, even Tress Way is having a down year. 

The fact is, the moment any of these players experience this level of ineptitude and aren't outraged like Jon Allen is, it's time to move on, because that stuff becomes hard-wired. Don't matter who is coaching, the damage is done.

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I am in this camp

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

That was my take -earlier. I'm becoming increasingly doubtful as to my previous opinion 😕

But this statement kind of hists home.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I agree

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Cosmi is a lost cause? He's been pretty good this year hasn't he?

He's allowed just 1 sack season & has only 3 penalties in his first year starting at guard.

Edited by turtle28