The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Watched some highlights of Daniels and he's an incredible athlete. I've seen people compare him to RG3 which is silly. He is a much better open-field runner than RG3. He has a ton of wiggle. RG3 was just a straight-line guy. He does seem to hold the ball a bit but his speed gets him out of trouble. He also seems to have that sixth sense in the pocket to magically duck a sack when you don't think he sees it coming. His arm is impressive but I wouldn't say its better than Howell's. He's extremely slender and he's going to have to pack on muscle to not get beat to a pulp at this level. 

What worried me is he was constantly throwing to wide open receivers. He definitely threw some good corner fades and fit some tight passes but Johnson and Nabers were just running open so much. His career went from being a decent to good QB to being unbelievable this season which scares me. We've seen Joe Burrow do that and Kenny Pickett do that. One ended up bring great and the other is sort of meh.

Like I said before, he's pretty skinny and he's only 3 months younger than Howell. I don't like that he'll turn 24 as a rookie. ESPN has him listed at 6'4 210 but there is no way he actually weighs that much. He looks more like 190-195. He's not Emmanuel Forbes skinny but he's slender. I like him and I think he would be a solid 2nd-3rd round pick but I just don't think I'd take him in the first. I'm just very leery of a guy who's been a starter for as long as he has and suddenly had this incredible production. 

• Like 2

For me, if they have a shot at Maye or Williams I'd be shocked if the new regime doesn't pull the trigger. Oddly enough, even being a biased Howell fan I'd probably do it too. Its not that I would want to give up on Howell but more so that this might be my only shot at the top QBs in the draft during my tenure and if I pass it could define my career. With that said, they're almost universal locks to be the first two picks in the draft so we won't have to worry about that. 

I would move up for MHJ if we end up at 4 and the cost is decently cheap. Like one of our 3rds this and maybe next year. That's probably an unpopular take but he's that good. Also, this draft is very deep at OT. Like unusually deep and I just don't think the gap with Alt/Fashanu is all that wide from Mims/Latham/Paul etc. For me, as much as most would hate it I would pencil in MHJ and Brock Bowers as my first two on my board and go with whichever one is available. I get the dislike of going TE that high but Bowers is a unicorn prospect similar to MHJ. I'd rather shoot for the stars and fail than continue drafting guys who have no chance at being superstars like we've been doing. The last time this team had a genuinely true Superstar was what? RG3? Maybe all the way back to Sean Taylor. That has to change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

For me, if they have a shot at Maye or Williams I'd be shocked if the new regime doesn't pull the trigger. Oddly enough, even being a biased Howell fan I'd probably do it too. Its not that I would want to give up on Howell but more so that this might be my only shot at the top QBs in the draft during my tenure and if I pass it could define my career. With that said, they're almost universal locks to be the first two picks in the draft so we won't have to worry about that. 

I would move up for MHJ if we end up at 4 and the cost is decently cheap. Like one of our 3rds this and maybe next year. That's probably an unpopular take but he's that good. Also, this draft is very deep at OT. Like unusually deep and I just don't think the gap with Alt/Fashanu is all that wide from Mims/Latham/Paul etc. For me, as much as most would hate it I would pencil in MHJ and Brock Bowers as my first two on my board and go with whichever one is available. I get the dislike of going TE that high but Bowers is a unicorn prospect similar to MHJ. I'd rather shoot for the stars and fail than continue drafting guys who have no chance at being superstars like we've been doing. The last time this team had a genuinely true Superstar was what? RG3? Maybe all the way back to Sean Taylor. That has to change. 

I don’t see any way if the Cardinals have a top 3 pick that they trade out and don’t take MHJ.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think MHJ is going back to college. I just saw something where he could get a ridiculous NIL deal that would dwarf what he could make in the pros and he was leaning toward going back for one more year.

I’m not sold on Jaden Daniels. I agree with Lavar that he throws to a lot of wide open receivers. I think he’s a good prospect, I’m not sure he’s worth a top 5 pick. Other than him being a little shiftier as a runner I don’t see anything he does better than Howell. 

The only QBs in this draft I think who are definitely better prospects than Howell are Caleb & Drake Maye but they have some consistency questions just as Howell had coming out and still has at times too.

I don’t know for me, I’m still in the Bowers, Fashanu or Alt mode for our 1st pick & in the 2nd rnd maybe we take a QB with one of our picks but preferably I’d like to take a G or C there and take a defensive player, preferably a MLB or edge rusher.

R3 or 4 is where I’d like to take a QB to develop behind Howell.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not sold on Jaden Daniels. I agree with Lavar that he throws to a lot of wide open receivers. I think he’s a good prospect, I’m not sure he’s worth a top 5 pick. Other than him being a little shiftier as a runner I don’t see anything he does better than Howell. 

The only QBs in this draft I think who are definitely better prospects than Howell are Caleb & Drake Maye but they have some consistency questions just as Howell had coming out and still has at times too.

I don’t know for me, I’m still in the Bowers, Fashanu or Alt mode for our 1st pick & in the 2nd rnd maybe we take a QB with one of our picks but preferably I’d like to take a G or C there and take a defensive player, preferably a MLB or edge rusher.

R3 or 4 is where I’d like to take a QB to develop behind Howell.

I agree with this too.  I wish someone would make a compilation of him under pressure.  He looks great when he has a clean pocket, but that isn't much of a measuring stick.  Any qb who make it to the pros should look great in a clean pocket. 

• Like 1

I think Allen will be traded. My question is, what do you think we could get back for Allen in terms of a draft pick (or picks)? His contract situation is attractive. So I'm thinking a mid-second would be realistic. You tell me though... 

Adding to this, there are quite a few nice DL that are mocked in the second. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/8/1/22604110/jonathan-allens-cap-numbers-are-in-and-may-surprise-people

"If Washington were to try to trade Allen prior to ‘23, ‘24, or ‘25, then the team that acquired him would be responsible only for his base salary, per game bonus and workout bonus, meaning that he would cost that team $15.5m per year in ‘23 and ‘24, and $17m in ‘25; all of these numbers are likely to be palatable if Allen continues to play at a high level, keeping open the option of trading him in the 3rd, 4th or 5th year of his deal."

Edited by Skinsin2013

I hated when we had a 3-4 defense years ago. I’m kind of wanting us to have it again as long as we have the right players and the right coaches to run it. 
If this were the case draft T’vondre Sweat of Texas. 6’4 350 massive and very athletic for his size. 
I also sign Tim Settle still only 26. 

• Like 1