The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But if you don't have a shot at Williams I think Maye is one heck of a consolation prize. But I also don't think its a total lock Williams goes ahead of Maye. Maye is going to test through the roof. He's an elite athlete with prototypical size. Personally, I would take Caleb first. I think he's quite a bit ahead of Maye at this point but I think Williams and Maye collectively are just so much further than the other QBs in this draft that if I didn't get one of them I just wouldn't do it at all. 

I can see it but when we hire a GM the coaching hire should speak volumes to what and who we’re taking. If Williams is the new GM’s guy then hire the coach for Williams and go get him. If Maye is their guy then the coach hired should be representative to maximizing him and make sure you get him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Would be hugely interested to know who was there at WR/TE/RB at 66. 

I’m at a point where — if we take a QB high — I kinda feel like the goal for now has to be to pour the heavy majority of our resources into the offense.

I love hitting the OL twice (hopefully they could locate a RT in FA), but I think we also need to add some speed/talent at the skill positions. Especially with Samuel likely on the way out. There may be a couple WRs at 42 that we wouldn’t be able to pass on at that point. 

I just did a PFF sim where we got Caleb at 2, and then I took Fautanu with 34. At 42, both Xavier Legette and Keon Coleman were there — which would be a wonderful situation for us. Walking away with a QB and a good OL and a physical freak WR in those first 3 picks would be a huge win for us.

Do you think picking up a Tee Higgins (mentioned in previous posts) and a Devin Singletary would be enough to help out? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I can see it but when we hire a GM the coaching hire should speak volumes to what and who we’re taking. If Williams is the new GM’s guy then hire the coach for Williams and go get him. If Maye is their guy then the coach hired should be representative to maximizing him and make sure you get him.

Maye is an easier fit for any coach.  I think getting an off-schedule player like Williams or Daniels requires a coach who is willing to accommodate.  While the coaches are willing to adjust to players, I don't think most prefer to.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Do you think picking up a Tee Higgins (mentioned in previous posts) and a Devin Singletary would be enough to help out? 

Absolutely, although I would pass on Singletary (though I like the player). I don’t really believe in paying FA RBs, and I think with Robinson/Rodriguez under contract, we could probably find a speed guy at some point on late Day 2 or Day 3 that would be the right complement to them (and cost us pennies).

I would absolutely be down for Tee Higgins if the new FO wants to pay the price for him, but I have some concern that the Bengals will franchise him and try to get one more run out of that Burrow/Chase/Higgins/Mixon group. If they don’t, he’s one of the very few high-end offensive FAs that I’d love to see us take a run at — and that would certainly eliminate WR as a Day 1/2 position in my book.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2024 at 11:04 AM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I agree having 2 acls is not ideal, he does have very good receivers but his arm talent with ball placement is unreal. Injuries could happen anytime to anyone, part of the game. QBs that are older should be more seasoned are playing longer now and if you get 10 years out of any QB, you would take it. 
If the Bears are looking for a big ransom for the first pick; I’m not really sold on D. Maye to be our pick. If this new FO is going to address the QB position, I wouldn’t hate it if we used one of our 2nd round picks for him. 
We can use our 1sr rd pick possibly for MH or LT or trade down, it gives us a lot more options. 

During this past colloge season I notice the consistency of Penix accruacy during several games. He continued to display this in the Texas game. It will be interesting to see how he plays in this coming game against Michigan. Let me be clear I want Williams however I must be open to all options. We must be realize we need help on the OL, DL. LB's, TE secondary.

Let's just hope we hire the right GM and head coach to get this right besides they are alot intelligent than any of us when it comes to making the right decsion football wise. 

• Like 1

Currently I am watching the Maye and Daniels tapes. By the numbers can someone explain to me that maye is better than Daniels. Understand all of these QB have flaws but by the numbers Daniels destroys maye. I think Daniels has to be consider as an option. 

9 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Currently I am watching the Maye and Daniels tapes. By the numbers can someone explain to me that maye is better than Daniels. Understand all of these QB have flaws but by the numbers Daniels destroys maye. I think Daniels has to be consider as an option. 

Daniels is a one year wonder. 

1 minute ago, 4209 said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/drake-maye-draft-scouting-2024/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jayden-daniels-draft-scouting-2024/

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Currently I am watching the Maye and Daniels tapes. By the numbers can someone explain to me that maye is better than Daniels. Understand all of these QB have flaws but by the numbers Daniels destroys maye. I think Daniels has to be consider as an option. 

but by the numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-football/news-drake-maye-vs-jayden-daniels-statistical-comparison-december-2023

Generally in making a good decision you have to look at the data or at least take note of it. Daniels numbers are better and he played against better competion.

Edited by 4209

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Daniels is a one year wonder. 

QB A year before breakout: 
219 of 379 for 2894 yards, 16 TDs and 5 INTs

QB B year before breakout: 
266 of 388 for 2913 yards, 17 TDs and 3 INTs

QB C year before breakout: 
38 of 64 for 529 yards, 6 TDs and 5 INTs

QB D year before breakout:
233 for 353, 2826 yards, 24 TDs and 13 INTs

QB E year before breakout:
203 for 332 for 2408 yards, 13 TDs and 9 INTs

QB F year before breakout: 
199 for 319 for 2382 yards, 11 TDs and 9 INTs

QB G year before breakout: 
18 of 21 for 359 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs

QB H year before breakout: 
257 of 453 for 2691 yards, 14 TDs and 11 INTs

QB I year before breakout: 
40 for 57 for 565 yards, 4 TDs and 1 INT

A is Burrow, B is Daniels, C is A Richardson, D is Levis, E is Pickett, F is Wilson, G is K Murray, H is D Jones, I is D Haskins

A very mixed bag, but these players went pretty high. 

• Like 1

I have given  the numbers to support my claim. As I said earlier when making a decision you have to look at the numbers and the number shows a big difference. "He's a one yr wonder" LOL Okay I will leave it be.

3 hours ago, 4209 said:

I have given  the numbers to support my claim. As I said earlier when making a decision you have to look at the numbers and the number shows a big difference. "He's a one yr wonder" LOL Okay I will leave it be.

I'm not sure what the numbers have to do with anything? Go look at Johnny Manziels freshman numbers. Bailey Zappe threw for 6000 yards and 62 TD in one season. Bo Nix threw 45 TD passes and completed nearly 80% of his passes this season. If we're going by numbers there's going to be a ton of players that surpass Maye and Caleb Williams. 

4 hours ago, 4209 said:

I think the general thought is Maye as compared to both Daniels and Williams has shown more in terms of going through progressions, reading defenses and such.  Daniels is dynamic, put up great numbers and may have a higher ceiling, but his floor is lower.  

Daniels is also emmanuel forbes like.

9 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Just to change the discussion a little. 
Would you guys trade a 2nd or a 3rd for Justin Fields? And then possibly draft MH, would that be something you could get behind?

No. I'd keep my pick and just play Howell and see if he progresses. If the Bears are willing to move on from Fields that means they don't believe he's any good so if that's the case why would we throw away a pick on him? 

• Like 1