R2: J.T. Tuimoloau, DE Ohio State 
R3: Jeremiah Trotter JR, MLB, Clemson
R3: Cade Stover, TE Ohio State
R4: Zak Zinter, OG Michigan 
R5: Drake Nugent, C Michigan
R6: Donovan Edwards, RB Michigan
R7: Jacob Cowing, WR/KR/PR Arizona

• Like 1

nfldraftbuzz has a mock simulator as well. Just did one that was just CRAZY. I assumed the new GM would look at the QBs and conclude there wasn't a franchise QB in the bunch of ones expected to go high.

So, I traded down to #10 (and still took Fashanu). I did two more trades and ended up with this:

http://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/sim/first-draft-5154

I got some draft picks (how does THREE first rounders in 2025 strike you? Enough to get the QB we want if Sam craps the bed next year) AND players out of the deal and assumed we would be signing a TE and WR (Higgins?) in FA.

So we get veteran players, stock up the OL, add some Edge and LB and a CB and TE

PLUS...three #1s and three #2s with two #3s next year to grab a QB or whatever. 

Coincidentally, that simulator shows what players were drafted in the positions you traded out of. 

Now, it's obviously never gonna play out that way with the trades, but thought the simulator interface was pretty cool

Too bad Michigan TE Colston Loveland (some name) wasn’t in this draft, love his game. I think he’ll be very good in the NFL. Maybe he could be someone we could target in 2025. Really don’t understand why Sophmores can’t declare, their bodies are grown enough. He’s 6’5 250. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

nfldraftbuzz has a mock simulator as well. Just did one that was just CRAZY. I assumed the new GM would look at the QBs and conclude there wasn't a franchise QB in the bunch of ones expected to go high.

So, I traded down to #10 (and still took Fashanu). I did two more trades and ended up with this:

http://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/sim/first-draft-5154

I got some draft picks (how does THREE first rounders in 2025 strike you? Enough to get the QB we want if Sam craps the bed next year) AND players out of the deal and assumed we would be signing a TE and WR (Higgins?) in FA.

So we get veteran players, stock up the OL, add some Edge and LB and a CB and TE

PLUS...three #1s and three #2s with two #3s next year to grab a QB or whatever. 

There is something to the combination of seeing what you have in Howell, and taking a year to build around the QB position and build the culture BEFORE you get a QB.  

If you take a year to build everything- culture, roster, front office and the coaching staff (because you can’t make all of your hires all in one off-season) then you know where everything stands heading into Year Two.  At that point, you make the determination of how you wager your assets based on the draft pool, FA and potential trades.  

It is also attractive to have that QB that you draft with 1.2, and have them be a part of that culture as you build around them.  So there is no right or wrong way of doing things.  But this way, you KNOW that you are spending 1.2 on a QBOTF and that’s it.  The rest of your assets can be spent around the QB, and he impacts the culture from the moment after his name is announced.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There is something to the combination of seeing what you have in Howell, and taking a year to build around the QB position and build the culture BEFORE you get a QB.  

If you take a year to build everything- culture, roster, front office and the coaching staff (because you can’t make all of your hires all in one off-season) then you know where everything stands heading into Year Two.  At that point, you make the determination of how you wager your assets based on the draft pool, FA and potential trades.  

It is also attractive to have that QB that you draft with 1.2, and have them be a part of that culture as you build around them.  So there is no right or wrong way of doing things.  But this way, you KNOW that you are spending 1.2 on a QBOTF and that’s it.  The rest of your assets can be spent around the QB, and he impacts the culture from the moment after his name is announced.  

You can't wait until next year to take a QB. The class is pretty bad. I know someone always makes a jump but its extremely mediocre. If you don't take the QB now we're simply doing the same thing Rivera did. You have the second pick. Take a QB. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You can't wait until next year to take a QB. The class is pretty bad. I know someone always makes a jump but its extremely mediocre. If you don't take the QB now we're simply doing the same thing Rivera did. You have the second pick. Take a QB. 

Man what a conundrum-I want to give you a like on this but just can't . It' not often you have a #2 so yes, take a QB but if the QB isn't there - and it doesn't seem to be a great class. 

11 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Man what a conundrum-I want to give you a like on this but just can't . It' not often you have a #2 so yes, take a QB but if the QB isn't there - and it doesn't seem to be a great class. 

Any other year Drake Maye goes 1st overall. I'm not as high on him as I am Williams but the dude can ball. 

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Too bad Michigan TE Colston Loveland (some name) wasn’t in this draft, love his game. I think he’ll be very good in the NFL. Maybe he could be someone we could target in 2025. Really don’t understand why Sophmores can’t declare, their bodies are grown enough. He’s 6’5 250. 

That’s my guy!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Any other year Drake Maye goes 1st overall. I'm not as high on him as I am Williams but the dude can ball. 

Yeah, maybe. Just can't clear it outta my head as I think Thai pointed out-He lost to UVA,...UVA for gosh sake. barely above a good H S team.. You CANNOT lose to UVA ! no way , no how.. 

BTW-I'm currently watch 42 mins of Colt McCoy analyzing Drake Maye. Also, relative to nothing- He's named after a male duck ! sheez, hate the name . 😅

31 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s my guy!!!

He’s your guy and you and @e16bball got on my guys bandwagon Mr. Zak Zinter.  I share especially when it’s a very good thing. He’s a monster and it’s great when the whole team looks up to you as the leader.

😀😀😀

52 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I disagree, but I understand people's fascination with what else is available. Caleb Williams is really the only "polished" prospect and his me-first personality/family dynamic is enough for me to hope he doesn't come here.

To me, Maye is a taller version of Howell. Same hero-ball mentality, same bad decision making when pressured. Plus I hate that all these college teams are putting their QBs in shotgun 85+% of the time. I think Maye would be a solid 2nd round pick in a good QB year.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I disagree, but I understand people's fascination with what else is available. Caleb Williams is really the only "polished" prospect and his me-first personality/family dynamic is enough for me to hope he doesn't come here.

To me, Maye is a taller version of Howell. Same hero-ball mentality, same bad decision making when pressured. Plus I hate that all these college teams are putting their QBs in shotgun 85+% of the time. I think Maye would be a solid 2nd round pick in a good QB year.

I'd risk Jaylen Daniels over Maye w/ a gun to head to pick a Q B. I'm worried about the drama with Williams but if he' sitting there at #2 -he's in Washington next year. Otherwise I'd like to trade down and if the Bears take Williams,  I'm going to see how cheap I can get Fields .  I like him for our natural 3 this year . We'd probably get outbid .

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Maye was great his freshman year and then lost Phil Longo to Wisconsin and his top receiver in Josh Downs. Without Maye I don't even see how that UNC team wins more than 4-5 games? They were a bad team with a really good QB. Maybe at @e16bball could give better insight on Maye but there is no way he would ever be a 2nd round pick. I mean, its not like he wasn't heavily recruited out of High School and just chose UNC because. He was recruited by all the heavy hitters and wanted to stay home. I love Sam but I don't think he and Maye are really all that similar. It could just be me but I think they're totally different QBs.