The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

I think there’s probably an 85% chance at this point that our pick will be Drake Maye, which I am more than happy with. 

Dude is legit, and very advanced for a 21-year old: looking off defenders consistently, throwing no-look passes (and left-handed passes lol), creating plays off platform while still primarily looking to throw (unlike Daniels), and also has one hell of a deep ball.

We are beyond fortunate to have ended up in this position when we did, and the GM we hired and HC candidates we’re attracting reflects that good fortune. 

• Like 1

I could be totally wrong on my assessment here and its not a total indictment of Daniels as a player but I would feel more comfortable taking him if we were in the 8-10 range. I think Williams and Maye are head and shoulders above the rest of the field with Williams firmly entrenched in the top spot. I personally would rather spend the #2 overall pick on MHJ, Fashanu or Alt over Daniels. I could be wrong about this and Daniels could end up being the next Stroud but I think he's going to have issues putting weight on his frame and not losing speed. I also don't think he's built to take hits at the next level so its sort of a catch-22 there. To me, Daniels would feel like a Rivera pick. Like we'd yet again be taking a guy who isn't as good as the other guy at the same position still on the board. So for me, its take Maye or Williams, whichever is available or if the FO isn't comfortable with either take MHJ or trade down. But if they trade down I absolutely would not spend a pick outside of the first on a QB. Just run it back with Sam. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I could be totally wrong on my assessment here and its not a total indictment of Daniels as a player but I would feel more comfortable taking him if we were in the 8-10 range. I think Williams and Maye are head and shoulders above the rest of the field with Williams firmly entrenched in the top spot. I personally would rather spend the #2 overall pick on MHJ, Fashanu or Alt over Daniels. I could be wrong about this and Daniels could end up being the next Stroud but I think he's going to have issues putting weight on his frame and not losing speed. I also don't think he's built to take hits at the next level so its sort of a catch-22 there. To me, Daniels would feel like a Rivera pick. Like we'd yet again be taking a guy who isn't as good as the other guy at the same position still on the board. So for me, its take Maye or Williams, whichever is available or if the FO isn't comfortable with either take MHJ or trade down. But if they trade down I absolutely would not spend a pick outside of the first on a QB. Just run it back with Sam. 

I wouldn't take Daniels in the first round. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

"One of the three greatest prospects of all-time" is absolutely ridiculous lol. 

So is “legendary”.

Either they were paid off or this is Williams’ family burner account lol. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

"One of the three greatest prospects of all-time" is absolutely ridiculous lol. 

They're doing the same thing to Caleb that the media did to Chase Young in 2020 and almost everyone bought that hype. It's not fair to 21-year-old guys to have that pressure on them that the media or draft analysts are putting on them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I wouldn't take Daniels in the first round. 

I think Daniels would be perfect for the Falcons. Maybe with Frank Smith. Someone who can take advantage of all that speed. 

I'll add this as well. I think its hilarious that people hype up Jayden's season while completely disregarding the year Bo Nix had. Both were heralded high school recruits, both left their original school where they didn't live up to the hype and both had Heisman-worthy final seasons. Bo Nix threw for 4500 yards, 45 TD and 3 interceptions and completed nearly 80% of his passes. Both players will be 24-year old rookies. If you're comfortable taking Daniels in the top 5 I don't see why you wouldn't be comfortable with Bo Nix?

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They're doing the same thing to Caleb that the media did to Chase Young in 2020 and almost everyone bought that hype. It's not fair to 21-year-old guys to have that pressure on them that the media or draft analysts are putting on them.

I feel no sympathy.  

By all accounts Caleb's family has played a big hand in engineering this hype.

IMO if you want to be paid like a 1st round NFL draft pick, it damn well should come with a lot of pressure.  Even if you are an UDFA or on a vet minimum contract, performing well and winning championship football goes along with pressure.

3 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

We would trade down for this question. 
Do you think Bo Nix or JJ McCarthy can run Ben Johnson’s offense equal or better than Goff?

I think I'd be incredibly disappointed if we traded off of Maye or Williams and still picked a QB. 

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think Daniels would be perfect for the Falcons. Maybe with Frank Smith. Someone who can take advantage of all that speed. 

I'll add this as well. I think its hilarious that people hype up Jayden's season while completely disregarding the year Bo Nix had. Both were heralded high school recruits, both left their original school where they didn't live up to the hype and both had Heisman-worthy final seasons. Bo Nix threw for 4500 yards, 45 TD and 3 interceptions and completed nearly 80% of his passes. Both players will be 24-year old rookies. If you're comfortable taking Daniels in the top 5 I don't see why you wouldn't be comfortable with Bo Nix?

It's true but one caveat is that Daniels did it vs SEC defenses while the PAC 12 defenses were average at best. We can't forget that Bo Nix was average at best in the SEC with Auburn but a Heisman candidate in the PAC 12.

77%, 4500 yds, 40 tds & just 3 ints at Oregon in 14 games

61%, 2300 yds, 11 TDs & 3 ints in 10 games as a junior at Auburn before transferring to Oregon.

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If you're comfortable taking Daniels in the top 5 I don't see why you wouldn't be comfortable with Bo Nix?

Depends on who you ask. Bo Nix is my QB4 and the next off the board after the Big 3 in my book. Whereas I had Jayden in my Top 20, Nix I had early 2nd. I don't love his deep throws as much, and I like Jayden better off the cuff than Bo. I thought Bo Nix could be what we thought Colt McCoy could have been, which is a good thing. I think Jayden has a higher ceiling. I'd be comfortable taking a shot on Jayden with a later first, but I wouldn't use it on Bo. 

But if you want to go off stats purely, yes it's comparable.