Sashi fired

sdrawkcab321

1 hour ago, Dogbite said:

I have never even seen you post until we fired Sashi and then you come out of the wood work with all these ignorant post full of unwarranted arrogance like you were right all along and would have drafted better yourself or something.

I fully expect as many post next year admitting you were wrong when all these young players are making games changing plays and helping the new GM take all the credit for the turn around. Guys like you I won't hold my breath though.

Lmao I’ve been following the discussion here all season, and I post when I want?  You’re using ad hominem because you know you’re being irrational.  We are the worst team in NFL history right now, what kind of maniacs holds onto a GM that went 1-27 with such militant rage?  I think we did a good job using Sashi to clear cap space and get picks and making it a desirable location for a GM with a track record.  Is it sad that Sashi didn’t get to see his 5 year plan through?  Sure.  But if his 5 year plan didn’t involve improving in year 2 then he didn’t research the position.  I find it very easy to follow the reasoning of firing somebody who followed a 1-15 season with an 0-12 one, I question anybody who wouldn’t.

So good luck Sashi Brown and thank you for your service.  Let’s win some football games now.

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Let's tone down the personal stuff. Try to disagree without dumping on each other.

I'm gonna try to do the same.

I've liked this side of you the last 3 days freaky. You've been ON POINT. Keep up the good work.

7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Lmao I’ve been following the discussion here all season, and I post when I want?  You’re using ad hominem because you know you’re being irrational.  We are the worst team in NFL history right now, what kind of maniacs holds onto a GM that went 1-27 with such militant rage?  I think we did a good job using Sashi to clear cap space and get picks and making it a desirable location for a GM with a track record.  Is it sad that Sashi didn’t get to see his 5 year plan through?  Sure.  But if his 5 year plan didn’t involve improving in year 2 then he didn’t research the position.  I find it very easy to follow the reasoning of firing somebody who followed a 1-15 season with an 0-12 one, I question anybody who wouldn’t.

So good luck Sashi Brown and thank you for your service.  Let’s win some football games now.

Pretty much sums it up here. If you put together a football team that went 1-27 in two seasons of football then it is hard to defend someone. I'm all for continuity but his drafts and FA signs have been solid, that's it. In fact I wrote up the top stuff him did and didn't do in this thread somewhere. Not having a competent Vet at WR and QB when we have 100 million cap space is garbage. Having Kessler, Hogan and Kizer as the only QBs on this roster is garbage. 

>:(No I'm not going to angry longboat this.... 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

5 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Not having a competent Vet at WR and QB when we have 100 million cap space is garbage. Having Kessler, Hogan and Kizer as the only QBs on this roster is garbage. 

I still wish we'd kept Sashi and "the plan". But I get this perspective. The more I look at it, I think Kenny Britt and the lack of a vet #2/3 QB is what killed him. Now, we can't know if the QB was totally on him or if Hue thought Kessler/Hogan was a legit backup (or if one or both of them thought Osweiler could be that guy). But those two things, more than anything else, are responsible for us stinking so bad this year. I think if we go 4-8 he probably still has a job (with Dorsey in a GM role and Sashi/Podesta the business/cap/strategy side.)

That said, can people please stop framing it as Britt vs. Pryor and that keeping Pryor would've been so awesome? Pryor has stuuuuuuuunk for Washington this year. Both were bad pickups. Britt being way worse due to money.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2017/cleveland-fires-sashi-brown-gives-analytics

This is my biggest issue. Truck Stop Jimmy told the FO they had 4-5 years to build a contender. The FO thought that that meant the product in years 3-5 was the real goal. They made moves to maximize years 3-5 (trading for future picks, saving cap space to resign guys and fill holes this coming offseason). When those moves didn't produce a winner this year (because they were never designed to) they got fired.

If they had been told, "have a 6-10 team in 2017 or you're fired" I can't imagine them not signing a vet QB and more WR's just to buy time. But they were given a different goal.

It's like if I tell you to invest my money in an optimal way so that I can retire, and I come back and fire you because six months later you had only gotten me 2% interest.

Those of you criticizing the FO are doing so because the team is bad THIS YEAR when it seems like the plan was ALWAYS to be bad this year and then to be good (or at least competitive) next year. I look at it and say they put us in a hell of a position to do exactly that. I don't get the feeling that they failed when they have put us in a place to succeed on the timetable they were promised.

8 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2017/cleveland-fires-sashi-brown-gives-analytics

This is my biggest issue. Truck Stop Jimmy told the FO they had 4-5 years to build a contender. The FO thought that that meant the product in years 3-5 was the real goal. They made moves to maximize years 3-5 (trading for future picks, saving cap space to resign guys and fill holes this coming offseason). When those moves didn't produce a winner this year (because they were never designed to) they got fired.

If they had been told, "have a 6-10 team in 2017 or you're fired" I can't imagine them not signing a vet QB and more WR's just to buy time. But they were given a different goal.

It's like if I tell you to invest my money in an optimal way so that I can retire, and I come back and fire you because six months later you had only gotten me 2% interest.

Those of you criticizing the FO are doing so because the team is bad THIS YEAR when it seems like the plan was ALWAYS to be bad this year and then to be good (or at least competitive) next year. I look at it and say they put us in a hell of a position to do exactly that. I don't get the feeling that they failed when they have put us in a place to succeed on the timetable they were promised.

I understand this, but at the same time, I feel that there should have been some sort of progress.  It may be too soon, but the way teams turn it around ALL the time, it's hard to stomach being this bad, for this long.  If it was 3 wins last year...then 5 wins this year????  You could say we were headed in the right direction.  

This is a bottom line league, and if it's 1 last year, and looking like 0 this year....that's just too much to take.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I understand this, but at the same time, I feel that there should have been some sort of progress.  It may be too soon, but the way teams turn it around ALL the time, it's hard to stomach being this bad, for this long.  If it was 3 wins last year...then 5 wins this year????  You could say we were headed in the right direction.  

This is a bottom line league, and if it's 1 last year, and looking like 0 this year....that's just too much to take.

You somehow just ignored every point he made to restate your opinion lol.

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

The plan on paper looked good, but when they passed on Wentz, questions arose about their ability to spot talent at QB and when they again passed on Watson for Kizer, their ability to assess talent really took a nosedive. So it isn't the plan that got them fired, it was the obvious miss on 2 potential franchise QB's that did the job.

They tried to draft in a way that no other GM had ever tried, using analytics almost exclusively rather then the 15 to 20% that almost every sport team uses and it appeared to fail badly.

When you try something that new, you had better be successful early or doubts will creep in and you can look awful stupid if you make huge mistakes and that is what happened to Sashi.

Originally, he found an owner in Haslam willing to give him a chance, when no other owner in their right mind would ever consider it, he failed and got fired for it. Just another Haslam thing that made no sense in the first place!!!

44 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

The plan on paper looked good, but when they passed on Wentz, questions arose about their ability to spot talent at QB and when they again passed on Watson for Kizer, their ability to assess talent really took a nosedive. So it isn't the plan that got them fired, it was the obvious miss on 2 potential franchise QB's that did the job.

They tried to draft in a way that no other GM had ever tried, using analytics almost exclusively rather then the 15 to 20% that almost every sport team uses and it appeared to fail badly.

When you try something that new, you had better be successful early or doubts will creep in and you can look awful stupid if you make huge mistakes and that is what happened to Sashi.

Originally, he found an owner in Haslam willing to give him a chance, when no other owner in their right mind would ever consider it, he failed and got fired for it. Just another Haslam thing that made no sense in the first place!!!

I literally agree with nothing in this post (except Haslam sucking) and have no idea how to argue against it because it's so counter factual.

Like, questions arose when they passed on Wentz? Wentz looked terrible last year! If he was a Cleveland QB we would've been screaming for a new QB this offseason. And Watson? Do they get credit for passing on Trubs and Maholmes? Can we finally admit that it takes 3-4 years to evaluate draft classes? You guys talk out of both sides when you want to declare that Watson and Wentz are gods who were clear to all, but the guys they've drafted with all their picks the last couple drafts are finished products who can't improve (or in some cases, denying they even have value now).

You know the percentages teams use analytics? Come on man. Teams keep this stuff under cover. I guarantee 80% of NFL FO's are using analytics engines and processes that we don't even know exist yet (the same way framing in baseball wasn't publicly known about until like five years after a few teams started tracking it). You guys seem to think analytics means "type box score #'s into computer, pick highest ones" or some such sillyness. Analytics is exploiting inefficiencies, plain and simple. It's finding the places in a system (the NFL) where others don't see the value that actually exists (comp picks, 2nd/3rd round picks, etc.)

You have to be successful early WHEN THE ENTIRE NEW THING WAS LETTING THEM STINK TO SET UP LONG TERM GROWTH?!?!?

Archived