In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

56 minutes ago, babababa said:

I've been confused by Flores. The defense was awful at the start of the year. The Eagles ran the ball every play in one drive in the 3rd qtr and the Vikings looked exposed. However the team defense got it together and looked really good. What happened to that? If the Lions game looks like the last 3 games it will be hard to feel confident in next season. 

Think they just got a bunch of mediocre offenses and teams during the middle of the year and took advantage of it. Couldn’t win games against better teams down the stretch. 

6 hours ago, babababa said:

I've been confused by Flores. The defense was awful at the start of the year. The Eagles ran the ball every play in one drive in the 3rd qtr and the Vikings looked exposed. However the team defense got it together and looked really good. What happened to that? If the Lions game looks like the last 3 games it will be hard to feel confident in next season. 

At first, the players were figuring out the system and played poorly. Then they figured it out and played very well. Then other teams figured out the system and exposed the lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

At first, the players were figuring out the system and played poorly. Then they figured it out and played very well. Then other teams figured out the system and exposed the lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. 

I think my point in this would be: The system is good. But you still have to have the talent on the field. 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2024 at 3:25 PM, wcblack34 said:

I think my point in this would be: The system is good. But you still have to have the talent on the field. 

I think that is a good point. As soon as the injuries started to pile up, the defense fell apart. Lack of CB and ILB depth and IDL quality was exposed in those final weeks.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 8:25 AM, wcblack34 said:

The system is good in the fact that he got the most out of the lack of talent...if they can infuse the defense with more talent, maybe they will be able to adjust the system so they don't have to blitz nearly as often, or can do so more effectively.

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Relax said:

Assuming he stays as the DC, what Free Agents would Flores be jumping on KAM's desk for?  I am not really asking if the Vikings can afford them!  I would assume he will be advocating for retaining Hunter.

Christian Wilkins immediately jumps to the top of the list. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Assuming he stays as the DC, what Free Agents would Flores be jumping on KAM's desk for?  I am not really asking if the Vikings can afford them!  I would assume he will be advocating for retaining Hunter.

i'm up for an official rebuild.

get some FA's on 2 year contracts
let Cousins walk, with our thanks
re-sign Hunter
be ballsy in the draft and go get your guy at QB
we field a struggling but upward moving team in 2024
and go for it in 2025

I think we have avoided Flores being a part of the coaching cycle this season.

I was a big fan of his aggressiveness, but it was clear we were lacking depth at all levels and struggled to consistently apply pressure. With another offseason to add the right fit players to his system I'm excited to see what Flores can do in year 2 if he returns.

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

This, I do not approve! 

It is not a surprise to say Evans is a suspect corner, but the downfall of the defense the past few games has everything to do with just how good Murphy is.  Without Murphy arguably no one on the roster is a great corner honestly, or even a good corner.  No one can play the slot, now one has good anticipation and reaction with the ball in the air, no one has the foot speed to keep up with the WRs downfield or in a small space.  Only one that maybe does outside of Murphy is Blackmon, but as for Evans, Booth or Joejuan Williams...hell no.

Also shows how easy it is to stop a guy like Danielle Hunter when you have nothing else to worry about, no Wonnum, no Davenport, no Lowry etc, yeah Hunter needs talent around him to open himself up.  Otherwise you can just focus all of your attention on him because there is no one else to worry about.  

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i'm up for an official rebuild.

get some FA's on 2 year contracts
let Cousins walk, with our thanks
re-sign Hunter
be ballsy in the draft and go get your guy at QB
we field a struggling but upward moving team in 2024
and go for it in 2025

Couldn’t that include Cousins? Teams rarely rebuild through free agency and bringing back Cousins doesn’t really have to alter your draft strategy if you really want to be aggressive about getting a QB. It does make improving the defense all the more challenging, I get that. Tough choice for sure. Just feels like there’s some unsettled business to take care of here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Couldn’t that include Cousins? Teams rarely rebuild through free agency and bringing back Cousins doesn’t really have to alter your draft strategy if you really want to be aggressive about getting a QB. It does make improving the defense all the more challenging, I get that. Tough choice for sure. Just feels like there’s some unsettled business to take care of here.  

Not going after you specifically as many here want both Hunter and Kirk back, but the Vikings don't have a ton of cash. With Jefferson he could hold out if he's not resigned. I just think this team needs to get the most important piece for the future figured out now -- Jefferson. It's too bad the team didn't trade Hunter before the deadline because I believe he's gone. He's finally got a shot at being the highest paid DL in the league.