In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

Don't look now, but as a big believer in stopping the run on D, the Vikes have held 5 of 7 opponents to under 100 yards on the ground.   True, the Eagles ran rampant . . . Holding the 49ers to 65 yards though?   Kinda equals things out.  

Skewing the stats a bit and subtracting he Eagles total as well as the low-end 30 yards to the Chargers, the Vikes D is holding opponents to 90 yards per game.  

This is the time of year the ground game gets more and more important.  Flores, and the D, might have it figured out.  🤞

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Don't look now, but as a big believer in stopping the run on D, the Vikes have held 5 of 7 opponents to under 100 yards on the ground.   True, the Eagles ran rampant . . . Holding the 49ers to 65 yards though?   Kinda equals things out.  

Skewing the stats a bit and subtracting he Eagles total as well as the low-end 30 yards to the Chargers, the Vikes D is holding opponents to 90 yards per game.  

This is the time of year the ground game gets more and more important.  Flores, and the D, might have it figured out.  🤞

What Flores is doing with this group is nothing short of astonishing. Players are playing well in the scheme, but the talent level on this defense is lower third in the league. I know that coach of the year only goes to Head Coaches, but I'd love it if some voters gave Flores some love.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

What Flores is doing with this group is nothing short of astonishing. Players are playing well in the scheme, but the talent level on this defense is lower third in the league. I know that coach of the year only goes to Head Coaches, but I'd love it if some voters gave Flores some love.

The AP has an assistant coach of the year award as well.  DeMeco Ryans won it last year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

After the eagles game,  I expected this to be a year long problem.  The fact that they've done so well against the run without giving up a bunch in the passing game is impressive

So there's been a lot of chatter about the Viking SELLING, but my question is should they be buying?

There seems to be a lot of good to great defensive players on the market and with the next stretch of games being a wide open opportunity to put the season back on track, would it not make sense to inject some mid season talent onto the defense?

Brain Burns, the Washington duo and the Patriots kid have come up a little bit, and I wonder if the Vikings couldn't take a swing at cornerback such at Pat Surtain?

Thoughts? I know we all want our QBotF, but idk I don't like wasting seasons either

• Like 1

15th in total yards allowed per game

17th in total passing yards allowed per game

15th in total rush yards allowed per game

20th in total points allowed per game

16th in total turnovers forced on defense

13th in total sacks this season

But on offense they have turned the ball 2nd most of any team in the NFL with 14 so a lot of those stats could be different if the offense did to turn it over as much.

And that is mostly without their 2nd best and most versatile DL in Marcus Davenport.  And with a secondary that is pretty suspect CB play but it is getting better.

Not amazing numbers but pretty good considering, and the team is playing with an attitude and sure the 49ers game will give them a lot more confidence, especially with the likes of Cam Bynum who was a star in that game.  Have to love the aggressive nature and the blitzing which is #1 blitz rate in the NFL by far like it said during the game.  Add some better pieces at CB, DT and some more edge rushers and they could really be a force.  Think of the pressure they could get if they actually got consistent DT pass rushing.

• Like 1

Exactly the defense is out producing it's talent (good coaching it seems).

The offense has had it suspect moments, but with a healthy Jefferson they're a top ten offense at least.

No matter which way you slice it this defense has holes that will have to be addressed in FA or the draft, so why not try and take a run at one of these guys now if you can and the price works out?

Mid season trades feel like they're a little less costly. Am I accessing that correctly?

PS: I have zero insight into the upcoming QB class and I don't know the opportunity cost, so to speak, of making a move on a defender versus saving draft capital for a potential trade up in the draft.

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 1

If we could find an upgrade for Bullard or Lowry and a legit CB1 or CB2, I think we'd be formidible. 

I don't know which 3-4 linemen are available, but maybe the Bears could be persuaded to trade Jaylon Johnson within the division. He's not a true #1 guy, in my opinion, but he'd be good in a tandem with Murphy and, at only 24 years old, seems to be on the rise. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Exactly the defense is out producing it's talent (good coaching it seems).

The offense has had it suspect moments, but with a healthy Jefferson they're a top ten offense at least.

No matter which way you slice it this defense has holes that will have to be addressed in FA or the draft, so why not try and take a run at one of these guys now if you can and the price works out?

Mid season trades feel like they're a little less costly. Am I accessing that correctly?

PS: I have zero insight into the upcoming QB class and I don't know the opportunity cost, so to speak, of making a move on a defender versus saving draft capital for a potential trade up in the draft.

Just seems a little odd unless the Vikings go off and win the next four games in a row.  Oddly enough they could be favored in the next 6 games in a row possibly depending on how things go.  At 3 and 4 not sure trading away all of your first round picks the next few years is a great idea at all.  Especially considering if they move on from Cousins they need a QB and it is potentially the deepest QB draft in the history of the NFL top to bottom with depth and QBs that took extra COVID years who should have been in the draft last year.  

It is a loaded group, and Patrick Surtain II could be one of the highest paid DBs in the NFL in a few years and is still on his rookie deal which is coming to an end.  Trade away 1st rounders for him?  Not sure Denver should do that considering the guy could be a HOF CB.  As for pass rushers, well depends on if Davenport will come back this year and stay healthy or not but even with that Hunter is on a 1 year deal, Davenport, Hicks, Wonnum, Osborn, Cleveland and of course Cousins are all free agents after this year...

Load up for a Super Bowl run?  Ehh will wait and see if they go on a run, and sadly enough the fact they played as a collective team against the 49ers and did not just wait for Justin Jefferson to make a play and everyone felt more involved could be a big reason as to why they won also.  Not to mention Kirk Cousins playing the best game he has ever played as a Minnesota Viking.  Now can he keep that up?  We will see.

Brian Flores doing well with suspect pieces just shows he can coach defense and put guys in positions to succeed, the fact they might not have those pieces is the GMs fault in the draft rooms.  Not to mention Lewis Cine who is totally not needed now in almost anyway unless someone gets hurt because Harrison Smith is playing well around the line of scrimmage, Metellus is as well, and Cam Bynum obviously is doing well so unless one of those guys gets hurt having Lewis Cine is a big so what.  If anyone should be traded can we move him to a safety desperate team?  Sadly no because he has not really shown he can even be a good player yet in the league.

Vikings could make little moves, just signed Quincy Roche to the practice squad, not sure if they will move up Whitley potentially I would like to see him get some play, along with playing less 3/4 defense and more 4/3 with using that third safety as a third LB and rushing four DL.  Now that will not change the world but not sure it would be smart to trade their future away just because they got one big win against a great team Monday.  See if they can pickup some steam first.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

See if they can pickup some steam first.  

They don't have time for that. The deadline is next week. Even if they beat the Packers, that likely won't tell us anything new about this Vikings team. If management and the coaches think they're a piece or two from being a legitimate contender this year, then they should make moves.

Now if they lose to the Packers, the calculus changes a bit. But I don't think any kind of win, whether close or blowout, moves the needle much in telling us what kind of team we have.

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

They don't have time for that. The deadline is next week. Even if they beat the Packers, that likely won't tell us anything new about this Vikings team. If management and the coaches think they're a piece or two from being a legitimate contender this year, then they should make moves.

Now if they lose to the Packers, the calculus changes a bit. But I don't think any kind of win, whether close or blowout, moves the needle much in telling us what kind of team we have.

Well then I say sit and stay, to trade away your future and get rid of multiple 1st round picks, fact is they are not that damn close to winning a Super Bowl.  San Francisco, Philadelphia, Dallas, Detroit and Seattle have all way better rosters than the Vikings right now, especially the first two it is not even really close.  One or two players is not going to correct years of drafting possibly the wrong guy when those first two teams draft the right guy almost every time.  And the Eagles GM, well they just got Byard at safety and got rid of Edmunds and a few picks, Byard is a stud safety and that was the one weakness on the roster so yeah Vikings are not close enough to those organizations to make some crazy moves in my opinion.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Well then I say sit and stay, to trade away your future and get rid of multiple 1st round picks, fact is they are not that damn close to winning a Super Bowl.  San Francisco, Philadelphia, Dallas, Detroit and Seattle have all way better rosters than the Vikings right now, especially the first two it is not even really close.  One or two players is not going to correct years of drafting possibly the wrong guy when those first two teams draft the right guy almost every time.  And the Eagles GM, well they just got Byard at safety and got rid of Edmunds and a few picks, Byard is a stud safety and that was the one weakness on the roster so yeah Vikings are not close enough to those organizations to make some crazy moves in my opinion.  

You're acting like they HAVE to give up first round picks. Yet you used examples where the Eagles did NOT give up first round picks. 

And if you're worried about "drafting possibly the wrong guy," then what better way to guard against that than to use those picks to trade for players who have already proven they were "the right guy?" 

Last I checked, we beat San Francisco without JJ, gave Philly all they could handle, and are in the same division as Detroit where two head to head wins would very likely mean we'd win the division. 

If you're not going to do anything to improve the team and see if you can be a contender, then why not just sell off everything? 

In my opinion, you either take a swing or you sell. Doing nothing at this point doesn't help the team now, or in the future.