In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

5 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

It kind of feels like Metellus and Bynum are growing into that before our very eyes. The later for sure, but Metellus is really flourishing in this scheme.

Metellus is playing the Eric Rowe position from Flores' time in Miami, and he seems to be that level of player. I love watching him play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm talking about on the defensive line. Our front 3 are pedestrian (although Horrible Harry had an excellent game against Green Bay). They've been better, but there's certainly room for them to improve. 

Roy is flashing at least once in most games, too. But yes - adding a dominant big body up front and getting Davenport back healthy would be the best way to strengthen the entire unit.

• Like 2

Flores is every low level DC ever... draws up all these elaborate zones where you've got guys on the line of scrimmage dropping as your pole player in Tampa or even as your middle third player in cover-3.... but actually has the athletes to do it.  I hope he gets to stick around long term and really put his stamp on the defense in terms of personnel.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Think where this defense would be if they had hired him last year.  Idk if he was even an option and KOC had a lot on his plate that I don't blame him to much for making the wrong hire.  I'm just glad that they didn't double down with donatell

Flores was hired by the Steelers on 2/19/22.

Donatell was hired by the Vikings on 2/10/22 after it was announced he'd be joining the Seahawks in a senior defensive role on 2/4/22. 

I don't recall who KOC interviewed for DC before settling on good old Eddy.

Regardless, this is a Flores thread and I'm very happy with the results through 8 weeks. I think playing some weaker offenses in weeks 9-12 will allow us to remain competitive. We'll see how it all shakes out.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Flores changed Bynum. Last year Bynum looked like a liability. This year he's great.

Bynum looked comparably bad last year, hence why I didn’t grab him on fantasy teams (I grab Harry because of the blitz rate). I just didn’t believe it and still had the impression as last year. Now he is ranked top 3 DB “fantasy/stats wise” this year, in part due to the good tackling pretty crazy

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 10:32 AM, VikeManDan said:

Flores was hired by the Steelers on 2/19/22.

Donatell was hired by the Vikings on 2/10/22 after it was announced he'd be joining the Seahawks in a senior defensive role on 2/4/22. 

I don't recall who KOC interviewed for DC before settling on good old Eddy.

Regardless, this is a Flores thread and I'm very happy with the results through 8 weeks. I think playing some weaker offenses in weeks 9-12 will allow us to remain competitive. We'll see how it all shakes out.

I remember KOC did want Wink Martindale but Daboll hired him in NY. Who has a similar blitzing aggressive mindset as Flores.  

Flores likes many defensive backs on the field, and Smith and Bynum are almost always there. Metellus is there most of the time as the fifth DB, playing on 89% of defensive snaps this season. Sometimes, the Vikings will roll out with three or four cornerbacks as well. 

Flores wants versatile defensive backs who can do everything, and the three starting Vikings safeties fit the bill. Minnesota’s defense is all about moving parts and confusing the opposition — particularly the quarterback. The trio of safeties have a big role in that and are so crucial to how the Flores defense works. Each player brings something different to the Vikings. 

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/vikings-own-the-best?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think the defense did alright, but Atlanta got us good on quite a few screens and quick passes. 

Given how blitz happy we are, I imagine more teams will continue to try and attack us this way.

I have the same thought.  That said, I trust Flores to make adjustments if this gets to be a trend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think the defense is actually what won the game yesterday because if they give up TDs instead of FGs on those short drives, there is no chance to win that game. 

And they let them score  a td quick enough so the offense had enough time