GDT: Week 5 - Dallas @ SF

WizardHawk

39 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

The success of the Cowboys hinges on sheer luck to find players talent that can out talent other teams. The F.O. does not have the skill to form a championship team, so they will have to get lucky and strike gold on a HOF QB and/or HOF players in the draft. 

Bobby Wagner, Von Miller, Roquan Smith were all available at one point and the Cowboys passed on all of them for LVE. Amari Cooper got traded for a 5th and then the F.O. went on to pay Gallup for no reason.

They cut Zeke and then expected an injured Tony Pollard to be that guy. Now Pollard looks a step or two slower and they have no replacement for him because they ignored the position in the draft.

The offensive talent on this team is atrocious and it’s easy to see why this team struggles to score points. Lamb is the only one that strikes fear into a defense.

Not to mention they totally ignored one of their biggest red Zone threats in Schultz. He was Daks safety blanket.

8 minutes ago, D82 said:

There seems to be some hints at it coming from some of the guys who cover the team that he is...involved. 

Jerry is involved in alot of things but I doubt he’s involved in play calling. Read Jimmiy Johnson latest book gives a good insight on Jerry Jones and why he’s the biggest problem why the Cowboys have not won a Super Bowl in almost 30 years. 

Edited by cromagnum

As for the game last night i am not surprised they lost but ye that was a butt whipping. Niners have better personnel coaching and are mor physical. Not really going to blame Dak as I’ve stated many times I never thought he was good enough to begin with. 

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend how anyone can still defend Dak in his current form.  Collinsworth must read my posts on here because he nearly quoted me word for word last night when he said there comes point against tough teams that the QB has to do something extra to win the game and Dak appears incapable of doing that.  

How many times have we seen Mahomes scramble 15 yards on 3rd and long.  Okay, so not every QB is athletic as mahomes… but to be elite enough to go to the next level then they have to be able to beat tough teams in another way and that’s through immediately recognizing defenses, knowing receivers progressions, throwing with anticipation and accuracy etc.  See Brady, Manning, Brees.  At this point in his career, Dak offers none of those things.  He’s no longer particularly athletic.  He’s never been good at going throw progressions and throwing with anticipation.  And he’s never been particularly accurate.

Here’s my final point… if you go back and look at what I’ve said in the past about what Dak is comfortable doing on the field (throwing to TEs and wide open receivers who find open spot in zone), you’ll quickly realize that nearly every qb in the nfl is comfortable doing those same things.  I always bagged on the Cooks trade.  Why?  Dak doesn’t throw to match cooks strengths.  Sure enough, cooks is worthless in our offense.  Dak is Jimmy G.  Dak is David Carr.  Dak is Kurt Cousins.  They are all the same limited QB.  To coach McCarthys credit, he recognized it and has been doing his damnedest to minimize Dak’s impact on the game.  He’s tried to simplify the offense as much possible for Dak with basic west coast principles where he can hit TEs, RBs and quick WR screens.  And it works against bad teams.  But in a tough game where the QB has to be able to give the team something extra like scramble 15 yards for a first down, Dak is 100% incapable of doing anything beyond what a run of the mill mediocre QB can do.  As a result, last night and in AZ when the game turned to Dak to give something more, Dak threw the same INTs that he threw all the time last year.  That’s who Dak is right now.  That’s him.  

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

LMAO. So snarky and 100% on point. Well played. I applaud the effort.

As for the doom and gloom…I don’t care when Dallas loses. I didn’t lose any sleep last night.  I do care about the fashion in which they did though…non-competitive for basically 60 mins. 

People can talk until they’re blue in the face that it’s just one game, Dallas can rebound, it’s was the best team in football, etc. I get that. Believe everyone does. But, that’s beside the point. Dallas earned every bit of criticism, every shred of doubt they get for being … non-competitive. That’s my issue. They had zero chance after SF punched them in them mouth.

I don't lose sleep either WH.  There's emotion in the moment.  I'm tired of the coverage this team gets.  I'm tired of the comments - apparently after last night's epic beatdown Micah said something to the effect of San Fran isn't better than us.  If true I think Micah belongs in the concussion protocol.  The next two games are not going to be easy.  The Chargers and Rams are more competitive than many think.

I just love that it’s nearly impossible for people to have composure and think about anything other than what they just saw. People are legit ready to blow up the season. It’s nothing short of pathetic. To go from thinking we have a promising, potentially dominant squad to blowing it all up and questioning everything after some early season adversity. It’s nothing short of a panicked, crybaby mentality. It’ll be okay guys.. you can go back to being totally fine and happy when they win again next week 🙄

7 hours ago, D82 said:

I’m really LMAO at you including Josh Allen. People want to rag on Prescott when he’s thrown more interceptions than he has over the last however many games. 

He also handed the game to the Jets earlier this year (y’know, the same team Dak moved the ball well against and didn’t throw a single pick to). And he had yet another bad game against the ******* Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Allen’s a good QB, but don’t give me this bull**** that he and Dak are so far apart.

And people really need to stop with the whole “oh the contract prevents…”. Bull****. We see teams with big contracts to QBs manipulate the cap in order to be able to add resources that help them win. The Cowboys front office is just too cheap to to do it and then they sell the whole “oh but this contract prevents us…” BS and you people buy it. 

Allen has had a handful of games where he's tossed too many picks. The guys a gunslinger. Do you not remember Brett Favre? One of the greatest to ever sling it around, also used to make you want to choke him with some of his toss up ints.

Allen has proven he can duel it out with the best the league has to offer. Will his gambles sometimes go the other way? For sure. We have seen that, too. But don't get gambles not paying off with Allen not being at the top of this leagues elite level of passer.

He carries his team, often leading it in rushing as well. He can leave a defense, a good defense, speechless with 40 seconds to go. And has dueled with the best of the best and stood toe to toe offensively with them. 

These are the undebatable facts:

Dak is good. Not elite. But he doesn't just "suck" - his record and stats may skew some, but they do not outright lie, either.

This team is good. Stacked with talent. It doesn't need to be blown up and rebuilt after every bad loss like this forum says.

If this team reverses the score and dominates SF yesterday, if this forum was made of paper it would be stuck together. Read between those lines. Point I'm saying in this spot is simple: lose a big one, you guys think everyone needs cutting, firing and let's do it up like a Madden reboot. Win a big one and no one will ever beat us again. The truth is in neither extreme.

Sometimes good teams get surprised and punched in the mouth. Even Tyson lost to Buster Douglas, quite badly.

Coaching is more important in this sport than pretty much any other sport you can list. 

Losing Diggs probably knocked this defense down a few notches more than we would like to admit.

Parsons is not built to be an every down edge rusher, no matter how good he is at it.

Fat slow nose guards do not stop the run in today's NFL. It might help a bit. But this isn't 2003. It's 2023.

During the documentary on Roku about the draft, Dallas - on Mike McCarthys emphasis - passed on the player they had rated several notches higher because "they went into this thing saying they needed this kind of player." Where was DQ with input on where a slow 350 pound man fits into his unit?

What made Pollard effective last year was his ability to break a big play at an off pace in-between the grinding of the slower and less explosive Zeke Elliott. I forewarned that expecting him to be the same kind of runner when he is at the top of the chart was not going to be what you all hoped. The fact here is simple: he is an explosive change of pace who had a great season. He has never yet proven to be anything but that, but you all - and the team - expected him to be something he has never proven himself to be. Three games. That's all that was that you all kept mentioning to me when I warned. Three games.

Acknowledge these facts and a lot of last night will come a bit into a more realistic perspective.

Edited by Dallas94Ware