Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Here was the post I had queued up in Gen when someone posted that: 

I get what he's trying to insinuate, but it's not really that interesting because it doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny. I could also pull Matt Ryan's 2016 MVP season and Purdy's are comparable there as well (Ryan has a decent lead in yardage total, and had 5 more passing tds, but had thrown the ball 100 times more, so he actually had a lower td rate and yards per attempt). 

You could just pull out Purdy and replace him with Dak in this and we can just as easily say that Jimmy without Aiyuk and CMC is comparable to Dak with Pollard, Ferguson, Lamb, Gallup and Cooks and possibly a better offensive line (2019 was pre-trent). 

We could say that Kirk Cousins in 2021 was similar to Dak this year except for record (largely a team stat). 

This is just an engagement tweet because any real scrutiny in comparison to Jimmy and Brock outside of some very, very basic numbers simply don't hold up. Example: 

EPA - 

Jimmy .177, 51% success rate

Brock .371, 56% success rate

DVOA - 

Jimmy, 11th (11.2%)

Brock 1st (49.2%)

DYAR -

Jimmy - 737

Brock - 1469

Y/A

Jimmy - 8.4

Brock - 9.9

QBR - 

Jimmy 60.8 

Brock 74.7 

Any/a  

Jimmy - 7.22

Brock - 9.33

YAC (our favorite figure to disparage 49er QBs)

Jimmy - 54%

Brock - 49% 

Throws behind the line 

Jimmy - 19.7% (LOL holy crap)

Brock - 14.2% (currently 29th in attempts at or behind the line of scrimmage)

Downfield throws: 

Jimmy - 6.5%

Brock - 11.4% (and he leads the league in EPA and yards per attempt in throws 20 yards or more)

INT rate : 

Jimmy - 2.7% (25th) 

Brock - 1.9% (11th)

Total turnovers: 

Jimmy - 18

Brock - 9

Big Time throw rate: 

Jimmy - 2.6%

Brock - 6.0%

Pressure to sack rate: 

Jimmy - 22.8%

Brock - 16.4%

Then you can just compare Jimmy's numbers across the league average compared to Purdy's: 

8 SFO QB 10 16 16 13-3-0 476 121 117 114 112 118 110 92 96

3 24 SFO QB 13 13 13 10-3-0 359 161 153 155 149 128 136 108 101 147

Lastly, it also doesn't take into account a depressed offensive situation in 2023. This is the lowest scoring year by TDs since 2006. Comparing 2019 to 2023 shows that passing tds are down .2 per game. 

I could have added other numbers (Adot, air yards per completion, air yards per completion per attempt, etc) but I thought this made the point well enough 

• Like 6

First comment on the YouTube video was pretty spot on in regards to Cam's career as hash as it might sound. 

Newton is a poster child for grandiose narcissism, including the resentment for anyone who is better than he is.  He had some success as a QB without ever being good at the actual QB stuff because he was a physical freak.  (Dan characterizing him as a 'game mismanager' is a thing of beauty.)  When he lost a step he was done, because he couldn't actually play the position.  Purdy will play until he's 40, barring horrendous injury, while Newton can't get a look as a backup because of his personality disorder--which makes him a corrosive clown anywhere he isn't the sole object of adulation.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, GW21 said:

Jimmy going to Vegas and ****ting the bed probably didn’t help Brock’s case either if we’re being honest.

Nick Wright has said this is exactly his argument why he refused to jump on the BP bandwagon at the start. Now I think he just enjoys the trolling. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

With the understanding that you can really do this type of thing with pretty much any 2 QBs of disparate talent and skill and make them look good / bad, this video is still pretty funny: 

To illustrate your point further for QBs that do not include Brock:

Edit: Start at about the 4:30 mark

Basically Baker = Lamar. Not mocking Baker but he isn't the qb that Lamar is by about 15 levels.

Edited by Ftn49

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Nick Wright has said this is exactly his argument why he refused to jump on the BP bandwagon at the start. Now I think he just enjoys the trolling. 

I’m not saying I agree with that narrative, just that I know people will use it against Brock. Nick Wright is a moron too imo.

8 hours ago, typecast said:

Anyone have "Turnover Worthy Plays" on there bingo cards? This is where the goal posts will move next.

My money is on "fine, he's good at throws 20+ yards BUT he has Aiyuk downfield so he doesn't really need to do much"

Skeptics will start to come around on the deep stuff because the numbers clearly show he's pretty freaking deadly downfield, but they can't give Purdy credit, so it will shift to Aiyuk carrying all the weight. Aiyuk is going to get a lot of love from Purdy haters before the year is over. 

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I’m not saying I agree with that narrative, just that I know people will use it against Brock. Nick Wright is a moron too imo.

Yep, I didn't think you did, just pointing out one of the directions that that narrative is coming from. I don't agree with Nick either especially about the Purdy discussion however I will say if there is one sports talk show I am going to watch, its First things first.