Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

3 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

To illustrate your point further for QBs that do not include Brock:

Edit: Start at about the 4:30 mark

Basically Baker = Lamar. Not mocking Baker but he isn't the qb that Lamar is by about 15 levels.

I hope Broussard gets hazard pay for this show.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

That's a fairly balanced video and makes alot of sense. At some point though the production is the production. So Brock is basically just ineligible for the award as long as he is a QB under Shanahan? Brussard had a good infographic the other day that showed percentage of passes at or near the line of scrimmage and Brock's percentage was at or lower than quite a few past MVP winners. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

That's a fairly balanced video and makes alot of sense. At some point though the production is the production. So Brock is basically just ineligible for the award as long as he is a QB under Shanahan? Brussard had a good infographic the other day that showed percentage of passes at or near the line of scrimmage and Brock's percentage was at or lower than quite a few past MVP winners. 

I feel like Brock is an amazing p]layer, but the 49ers are also an amazing team, so they are still good without Brock.  Hell, I think this team is set up to win without any one person.  I even think the team would still be good if Shanny had to miss a few games.  This is a very well oiled machine.  

I can see the case there, but people are going too far to support this case, and not holding all the other guys to the same standard.  At least there is some truth to this one, in that the guys around Brock are great.  

People are just throwing stuff around that doesn't make any sense.  DInk and dunk, wont throw deep], checkdown warrior etc.  Those arguments are all just flat our false and annoying.  

2EDIT.  DId the dude talk about air yards on plays that are more than 40 yards? Cool, but that is basically :"how far can he throw the ball.:"  Purdy is so accurate over the intermediate portion that he sets up Yac plays pretty far down the field.  Not just six yards away.  Intermediate accuracy, foot work, and quick reading of the defense are his three key attributes.  His ability to feel the pressure around him is p]retty sweet too.    

The Keyboard warriors know how smart Shanahan is, but being able to process the plays in the real time is really really hard.  It is not something you can find at the combine or measure.  It probably won't be the biggest strong armed athletic fast guy that develops that super ultra high level processing.  I enjoy reading defenses, but I have to pause the video three or four times.  His ability to process  late rotations, fake, weird, off balance formations, blitzes, and late changing coverages is crazy good.  I'm amazed any human can think that quickly without even taking into consideration the athletic achievement of throwing the ball accurately, feeling pressure, and being quick like a cat on his feet. 

EdIT....Maybe his ability to unlock the full Kyle Shanahan experience with the current group] of weapons is what makes him the MVP?  I hadn't really thought of it that way until now.  You could see how annoyed Shanahan was with JG the last year.  The draft process got him a really smart, athletic Trey Lance, that just didn't fit the system.  Brock saved Kyle and John's job, kept the team together, and expanded Kyle's playbook to it's fullest.  

We are talking about Brock for MVP, how awesome is that?!?  He has earned it, but it is not something I concern myself with as it's not his job to convince the dumbest segment of cherry pickers that he is good in a vacuum in space.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

5 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Most of this disrespect has nothing to do with his football abilities or accomplishments. 

I'm not allowed to say what the primary issue is about. Some of it is draft status and arm power. A larger part is.. this day and age... something far more grotesque. 

Society, at least in the west, really has changed with the advent of the digital age in terms of opinions on circumstances that may seem too good to be true (this isn't just sports-related). In 1999, people didn't try to poke holes in Warner's remarkable story. They just enjoyed it. Now it would be picked apart to debunk his success. I'm all about for gathering more data, which is miles ahead of where we used to be in the football world even just ten years ago. But even with more tools, we humans still can't separate emotional bias out of it, and sometimes that ability to now gather more information is just being hijacked to construct certain narratives based on a critic's non-objective feelings. Steven Ruiz is a prime example of this. 

• Like 2

Shanny cant win coach of the year for turning around one of the worst circumstances a team has been in this millennium, now Purdy cant win MVP because he has such a great coach like Shanny.  We got a catch 22 here boys, strap on and enjoy the ride.

• Like 4

On 12/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, Forge said:

The dump off play to Deebo is funny to me that it is being used as a "here is why the niners weapons are better than everyone else's" because:

A) That play showed was that Bobby Wagner is washed and he should never be asked to cover anyone.

B) If you take deebo out and put in *literally any serviceable level RB in the league* (im talking like even elijah mitchell or Khalil Herbert) they would get 20+ yards on that play. Seattle just completely misplayed it and there was no one within 20 yards of Deebo after he caught it and took 2 steps to beat Bobby. I still give Purdy a lot of credit for the play because the speed he got to *his third read* was what set the play up for success. 

But yeah, overall a pretty fair video. I really dont care if Purdy wins the MVP. I want the 1 seed. Give the team a week off and then 2 games at home before the short flight to Vegas. 

• Like 2

Reading through some of these twitter threads have certainly been an adventure. Looking at PFR's data for play type and ESPN motion data from Seth Walder's twitter history

• QB PA Rate
    • 2023 - 20.61%
      • Purdy - 20.61%
    • 2022 - 18.66%
      • Jimmy - 16.88%
      • Purdy - 21.76%
      • Lance - 19.35%
    • 2021 - 23.44%
      • Jimmy - 22.68%
      • Lance - 28.17%
    • 2020 - 22.18%
      • Mullens - 26.38%
      • Jimmy - 11.43%
      • Beathard - 24.24%
    • 2019 - 26.26%
      • Jimmy - 26.26%
  • Motion at Snap Rate: 36.9% (3rd), 25.8% (6th), 42.4% (1st), 26.1%, 18.3%, 8.8%, 4.5%
  • Any Motion Pre-Snap Rate: 76.2% (2nd), 70.9% (2nd), 83.7% (1st), 70.5% (1st)

I'm pretty sure the ranks are mid to mid-bottom for PA Rate.

Edited by typecast

7 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Most of this disrespect has nothing to do with his football abilities or accomplishments. 

I'm not allowed to say what the primary issue is about. Some of it is draft status and arm power. A larger part is.. this day and age... something far more grotesque. 

No one cares what color he is or about his political/religious affiliations if that is what you are saying. Literally no one!!

Purdy seriously fits every stereotype of a starting QB in history to a T. He is not being disrespected for any reason outside of he was a late round pick on the best team in football. Thats it.

You know how many other QBs fit the exact same demographic as him? Like 80% of the league starters. 

I would also argue that the disrespect isn't even happening in league circles. Only in sports talk media, which is a bunch of garbage anyways. 

Stop with this non-sense. You have no idea how bad it makes you look.  

8 hours ago, N4L said:

No one cares what color he is or about his political/religious affiliations if that is what you are saying. Literally no one!!

Purdy seriously fits every stereotype of a starting QB in history to a T. He is not being disrespected for any reason outside of he was a late round pick on the best team in football. Thats it.

You know how many other QBs fit the exact same demographic as him? Like 80% of the league starters. 

I would also argue that the disrespect isn't even happening in league circles. Only in sports talk media, which is a bunch of garbage anyways. 

Stop with this non-sense. You have no idea how bad it makes you look.  

I didn't even think about that when I quoted him to peddle my own take. 

But anyway, yes I'm not getting the vibe at all. This isn't the love-child of Tim Tebow mania/Doug Williams SB nonsense with the skeptics. At least it's all on-the-field to their credit. Nothing personal towards Purdy. Progress. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe