Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

10 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Brock's had much prettier games on the stat sheet, but this may have been the greatest game of his career so far

Yeah it's for sure up there. He got his butt whooped last night in a very physical game but hung in there and commanded the offense like a vet. 

On his last scramble (or scamper according to Kittle), his sock was torn to pieces and he had grass stains all over and blood coming out of his mouth. The dude gritted through that game and won. Stud. 

Also, after the game when he was hugging his dad, he looked like he aged 5 years after that game. He put it all on the line and won. 

Edited by NinerNation21

23 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah it's for sure up there. He got his butt whooped last night in a very physical game but hung in there and commanded the offense like a vet. 

On his last scramble (or scamper according to Kittle), his sock was torn to pieces and he had grass stains all over and blood coming out of his mouth. The dude gritted through that game and won. Stud. 

Also, after the game when he was hugging his dad, he looked like he aged 5 years after that game. He put it all on the line and won. 

Maybe having the 20th most expensive offensive line (only because of Trent Williams and a bit of run blocking) that performs like it is about the 20th best offensive line (only because of Trent Williams and a bit of run blocking) is even more dangerous in the playoffs where everyone has dudes that can take advantage of you when you have to pass and when there are a lot more situations where you are going to have to pass is bad, actually? The trade-off for this was supposed to be the defensive line where we have all of the money in the universe invested, but they've been just as bad. It's hard to win in the postseason when you are getting killed in the trenches for most of the game.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

I had him at 7th a while ago - Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Herbert & Stroud the 6 QB's ahead of him. 

I'd still put him at 7th, at the top of the tier of guys like Dak, Hurts, Cousins, Goff, Tua & Stafford

Maybe i'd put Kyler & Lawrence in this tier but they have their own question marks for now 

Edited by 49ersfan

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career_playoffs.htm

Before yesterday, there were 15 QBs with at least 3 career game-winning drives in the playoffs:

Tom Brady with 14

John Elway with 6

Joe Montana, Eli Manning, and Patrick Mahomes with 5

Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, and Russell Wilson with 4

Otto Graham, Ken Stabler, Dan Fouts, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, and Matthew Stafford with 3

On Sunday, Brock Purdy became the 16th name on that list

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career_playoffs.htm

Before yesterday, there were 15 QBs with at least 3 career game-winning drives in the playoffs:

Tom Brady with 14

John Elway with 6

Joe Montana, Eli Manning, and Patrick Mahomes with 5

Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, and Russell Wilson with 4

Otto Graham, Ken Stabler, Dan Fouts, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, and Matthew Stafford with 3

On Sunday, Brock Purdy became the 16th name on that list

I mean counting the Cowboys/Lions games as "GWDs" is just not real....even though technically that's how they count them lol.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean counting the Cowboys/Lions games as "GWDs" is just not real....even though technically that's how they count them lol.

The Cowboys one is definitely a technicality since the only 4th quarter play of that drive was CMC taking it to the house from 2 yards but I'm fine with considering the last TD drive against the Lions a GWD since it ended up being the points that decided the game(the Lions would have been up with the TD had they not gotten it)

Edited by jonnguy2015

4 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

The Cowboys one is definitely a technicality since the only 4th quarter play of that drive was CMC taking it to the house from 2 yards but I'm fine with considering the last TD drive against the Lions a GWD since it ended up being the points that decided the game(the Lions would have been up with the TD had they not gotten it)

Yeah, but the last drive where we scored against the Lions is not what counts as the "GWD." It was the FG we kicked in the first minute or so of the quarter.

That's like in the NBA when they use the last five minutes with the game within 5 points as "clutch" time....It's a reach lol. 

• Like 1

Interesting take, he compare Brock to Bryce Young and playstyles I can somewhat see that. I don't think they are the same physically. Brock is thicker and Bryce has a more live arm but it is interesting.