Let's talk Bryce Young

notthatbluestuff

6 hours ago, Towerbridge said:

I can understand why Young was good in college. When I watch Bo Nix it’s completely laughable. He was he any good in college?

In college Nix’ bad was really bad.  At Bama Bryce’s bad was just average looking.  Nix’ ceiling is Andy Dalton which you don’t want from a 1st rd pick. 

13 hours ago, Towerbridge said:

I can understand why Young was good in college. When I watch Bo Nix its completely laughable. He was he any good in college?

There are many good college QBs that can't make it in the NFL.  Many are not doing reads or are doing pre-snap reads on a spread offense.  That does not prepare a QB for the NFL offenses.  It may work in the right system while they have time to learn.

Is Young gun shy at this point?  Perhaps.  Bama ran a pro-style offense but  I would guess with very limited reads.  Perhaps he can't overcome not being the best athlete on the field when things break down.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

There are many good college QBs that can't make it in the NFL.  Many are not doing reads or are doing pre-snap reads on a spread offense.  That does not prepare a QB for the NFL offenses.  It may work in the right system while they have time to learn.

Is Young gun shy at this point?  Perhaps.  Bama ran a pro-style offense but  I would guess with very limited reads.  Perhaps he can't overcome not being the best athlete on the field when things break down.

That was his best trait in college: dude was sooo elusive in the backfield.  He would scramble for like 10 full seconds until something finally opened up in the passing game.  One of the best ever in college ball at not getting taken down when being pursued.

6 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

In college Nix’ bad was really bad.  

Umm, Nix didn't really have a bad college game after the 22 opener against Georgia.  He was bad before that, but it was that season that actually made him an NFL prospect.

• Like 2

Just now, Dbrog24 said:

Still better than Caleb so far in the pros....granted not by much

Who? Young?

If Williams can thrown on time, he looks good. So that is 1st or 2nd read then he needs to move.  He also must understand that he is not the best athlete on the field.  The Bears might to better with weighted traffic barrels at the oline. 

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Who? Young?

If Williams can thrown on time, he looks good. So that is 1st or 2nd read then he needs to move.  He also must understand that he is not the best athlete on the field.  The Bears might to better with weighted traffic barrels at the oline. 

Was talking about Bo, but ya probably Young too. Caleb has just under 4 yards per attempt. He doesn't look good on time or not and is constantly sailing balls with poor accuracy or making horrific decisions (see last play of last game).

I do think he'll get better but I was more pointing out the above posters random slam of Bo even though the first overall pick is even worse so far

54 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Was talking about Bo, but ya probably Young too. Caleb has just under 4 yards per attempt. He doesn't look good on time or not and is constantly sailing balls with poor accuracy or making horrific decisions (see last play of last game).

I do think he'll get better but I was more pointing out the above posters random slam of Bo even though the first overall pick is even worse so far

My guess is the Texan's adjusted and took away his first reads.  Then his "training" breaks down.  If the oline does not kill him, I think he could develop.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

My guess is the Texan's adjusted and took away his first reads.  Then his "training" breaks down.  If the oline does not kill him, I think he could develop.

He's gonna need to learn to slide and his picket awareness really needs work. 

He took a lot of big hits as a runner, hence needing to slide more. 

He also had some pretty big hits behind the line, and while it's definitely as much or more on the OL, when a guy is running free towards you and it's not on your blind side, gotta know to get the ball out. 

What I've noticed is when he can "see" the blocking breaking down during a play, he's good at moving around and evading the sack. But he's not there yet when something is going wrong from the start, hence blitzes and free rushers having a field day. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Yeah, I think it's an absolute falsehood to say Williams has looked worse than Young.  Young is getting protected.  Williams was flushed out of the pocket on like every snap by the Titans DL, and the Texans sacked him 7 times.  He didn't look good, but he also looked like a guy who was struggling to keep it together, more than a WTF are you doing type player.

Nix, maybe.  Haven't gotten to watch him.

I like Bryce. But hearing shadys take on him for his skin color was crazy work.. There’s been plenty of bust kicked to the curb. 

Ponder 

Leaf 

Tim Couch 

Matt Leinart 

Johnny Manziel 

Josh Rosen 

Brady Quinn 

Zach Wilson 

Brandon Weeden 

Patrick Ramsey 

Jp Losman 

sure some were back up. But they got no burn time. Just there as an incase of an emergency. Most of them were outey 3000.’