We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Williams is 21 while Nix is 23.  Everyone brings up age as a major reason why Nix will drop.  Does two years matter that much when it comes to QB prospects?  Every time I watch Oregon play, I come away impressed with Nix.

Nix will be 24 in February and that Oregon offense is about as simple to operate for a QB as it gets. 

And yes. 2 years might as well be an eternity. For example, go back 2 years to when Nix was 21 and starting for Auburn. Not a soul on Earth pegged him as an NFL QB then. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I would literally bench any of them for a high quality player

Doubs is the easiest and most replaceable skillset and also the least talented among the group.  So Doubs, easy, done.

Fortunately, Watson will be hurt so they can all "play"

Ha! Reality bites.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I would literally bench any of them for a high quality player

Doubs is the easiest and most replaceable skillset and also the least talented among the group.  So Doubs, easy, done.

Fortunately, Watson will be hurt so they can all "play"

Knowing how to play football is a skillset. He's easily our most productive WR, so he would not be my first choice to replace. The thing is Reed, Doubs and Watson each excel at different things. MHJ can to it all so adding him wouldn't hinder any of the other three IMO. 

59 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Nix will be 24 in February and that Oregon offense is about as simple to operate for a QB as it gets. 

And yes. 2 years might as well be an eternity. For example, go back 2 years to when Nix was 21 and starting for Auburn. Not a soul on Earth pegged him as an NFL QB then. 

Williams will be 22 in a couple weeks, while Nix will be 24 in February.  I really don't get the age thing.  If these guys hit, they'll be in the league for more than a decade. 

I'll take your word for the Oregon offense.  Is that the same offense Herbert was running during his time there?

Edited by Mazrimiv

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Williams will be 22 in October, while Nix will be 24 in February.  I really don't get the age thing.  If these guys hit, they'll be in the league for more than a decade. 

It's about ceiling and progression. Nix is capped out and doesn't have room nor the time for development. Those two years are huge. There's a long history of guys age 24 or older in the NFL at the time of their rookie season and none of them are anything to write home about. There's just no real room for error in older prospects and, tbh, Nix isn't that impressive. I don't think he's an NFL QB. Arm is lacking some, deep ball floats worse than Love's. Happy feet in the pocket with a ton of unnecessary movement. He's a college QB through and through and maybe a fun back-up.

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll take your word for the Oregon offense.  Is that the same offense Herbert was running during his time there?

Not quite the same but similar concepts. 

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's about ceiling and progression. Nix is capped out and doesn't have room nor the time for development. Those two years are huge. There's a long history of guys age 24 or older in the NFL at the time of their rookie season and none of them are anything to write home about. There's just no real room for error in older prospects and, tbh, Nix isn't that impressive. I don't think he's an NFL QB. Arm is lacking some, deep ball floats worse than Love's. Happy feet in the pocket with a ton of unnecessary movement. He's a college QB through and through and maybe a fun back-up.

Not quite the same but similar concepts. 

Using that logic, Love is capped out.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

roger__staubach.jpg

lol he was drafted in the 10th round at age 27 in 1969 in an era of football that isn't relevant to today. Keep reaching. LIS, we're not talking about massive outliers. We're talking about guys where you'll have to use significant draft capital to obtain. Find me a 24 year old QB drafted in the first 2 rounds that succeeded in the modern era to a level that is something to write home about. LIS last night, the best example is Ryan Tannehill or, upon further research, Chad Pennington and Pennington didn't start until he was 26.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

lol he was drafted in the 10th round at age 27 in 1969 in an era of football that isn't relevant to today. Keep reaching. LIS, we're not talking about massive outliers. We're talking about guys where you'll have to use significant draft capital to obtain. Find me a 24 year old QB drafted in the first 2 rounds that succeeded in the modern era to a level that is something to write home about. LIS last night, the best example is Ryan Tannehill or, upon further research, Chad Pennington and Pennington didn't start until he was 26.

62bc847439ba4.image.jpg?crop=1605,843,10

you do realize what I am doing, right?