We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

4 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Doesn't matter who he has for weapons if he's running for his life.  Aggressive, blitzing defenses has given Love no time to look for any weapon as he has to dump it off.  The offensive line needs upgrading .. period.  Serviceable just doesn't make it.

He hasn't been running for his life. Love is the third least pressured QB in the league. You guys are just so gun-ho against picking a skill player in the first you are making up needs we don't have regardless of the diminishing returns.

You can never have enough good WRs. The simple reality is that while yes, our young WRs have shown promise, two out of the four probably won't be on the team 2 years from now and this will be the 2nd straight year we don't have a 1000 yard WR.

Look at what Chase did for Burrow, Diggs did for Allen etc etc. If Marvin Harrison Jr is sitting there for us and we take an OT I might actually try to burn Lambeau down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StatKing said:

He hasn't been running for his life. Love is the third least pressured QB in the league. You guys are just so gun-ho against picking a skill player in the first you are making up needs we don't have regardless of the diminishing returns.

You can never have enough good WRs. The simple reality is that while yes, our young WRs have shown promise, two out of the four probably won't be on the team 2 years from now and this will be the 2nd straight year we don't have a 1000 yard WR.

Look at what Chase did for Burrow, Diggs did for Allen etc etc. If Marvin Harrison Jr is sitting there for us and we take an OT I might actually try to burn Lambeau down.

There's more to OL play besides protecting the passer. Our OL by the eye test if a bottom tier unit run blocking. 

• Like 1

We aren't going to get MHJ.   

We need to really shore up two areas on this team - OL and defensive backs.   Neither of those fit into your category of skill players.

If we draft a WR (other than Harrison Jr-he's special) or Bowers instead of picking an area of need I would be disappointed.  The perpetual wish of drafting a 1st round WR seen on this site every year is mind boggling and makes no sense.   We rebuilt the skill positions without it in 2 years.

Top half of 1st round is for QB, OT, Edge, CB, or special player.  The only special player in this draft is MHJ.

We have 2 average, to above average OL.  Tom is showingin importance. great potential and Jenkins is still solid.   The rest simply aren't good enough in the area that is second in importance toward the results of a football game after QB play.  Arguably DB play is equivalent to OL play.

Edited by hitnhope

22 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

There's more to OL play besides protecting the passer. Our OL by the eye test if a bottom tier unit run blocking. 

I'm not so sure about that.  

It sure looked good for one quarter yesterday, then we abandoned the run game.

I'm not sure that it wouldn't look better if we just committed to the run game sometime.

That's why I'm unsure....our refusal to establish a run game.  Doesn't help when you are limiting carries for Jones and the new guy nearly drops a RPO, and a career backup doesn't have the awareness to run out of bounds when he needs to.  All while your lead power back is out with a broken finger.

6 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

A couple more losses and getting to #3 would only cost some second rounders. I'd do that for MHJr. 

I find it very difficult to believe that any team is going to take that trade for this WR prospect.

Maybe that is what a trade chart would show....but I don't feel that will be reality for a WR prospect like MHJ.

Now....I'll sweeten it.  I'll give up a first, a second AND a WR on our roster not named Watson for him.

That's how much I adore this prospect.  And even that, I fear, would not get it done.

Which is probably best for our team at this point and time.  

• Like 1

So, as far as MHJ is concerned, what is everybody seeing him as? Because I'm tunnel-vision stuck with what his dad was and that seems to translate to a Davante Adams type for a ceiling... which is totally great. But I've seen this offense still stagnate even with Adams in the lineup because nobody else could burn defenses, and this year is proving how badly we need Watson to be healthy because, again, nobody else is really burning defenses.

But if MHJ has the ability to burn...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Where would we expect two more losses to put us in the draft order?  I wouldn't think a 7-10 record would put us all that close to #3 overall.

It shouldn't.

And maybe he doesn't go at #3?  Maybe he "falls" to #5 or something?

Basically throwing this out there in the hope that I can manifest it into being true.

Oh, that being said, MJH sucks.  All these draft talk for a guy who couldn't fill the shoes of Olave, Wilson or JSN.  Someone is really going to regret drafting him high.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

So, as far as MHJ is concerned, what is everybody seeing him as? Because I'm tunnel-vision stuck with what his dad was and that seems to translate to a Davante Adams type for a ceiling... which is totally great. But I've seen this offense still stagnate even with Adams in the lineup because nobody else could burn defenses, and this year is proving how badly we need Watson to be healthy because, again, nobody else is really burning defenses.

Everything his dad was as a player, only much bigger and stronger.  Sudden.  Fluid.  Smart.  

That being said, he still sucks.

Edited by vegas492

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

He's already a top 10 WR in the world. The kid has everything you want in a WR. Size, speed, route running and to top it all off bloodline.

3 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

We don't even attempt to establish the run in most games so it's a moot point if you ask me.

All I've been hearing all year is how we have to give our young guys a chance to grow, now all of a sudden the offensive line is a massive problem even though at worst they've been league average?

The one thing Gute has been great at is finding offensive lineman in the middle/late rounds. Rasheed Walker is a 7th round rookie, him not being a complete disaster for us is a minor miracle.

I feel like a lot of people in this thread are trying to make reasons up to draft an LT that don't exist.