We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

20 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Too many bloodline players have been hitting lately. We’re about to regress back to bloodline meaning certain bust. 

Might have something to do with how little guys actually practice these days. The extra experience and tutoring from their family helps a **** ton. NFL practices are a complete joke compared to what they were 10-15 years ago.

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

He hasn't been running for his life. Love is the third least pressured QB in the league. You guys are just so gun-ho against picking a skill player in the first you are making up needs we don't have regardless of the diminishing returns.

You can never have enough good WRs. The simple reality is that while yes, our young WRs have shown promise, two out of the four probably won't be on the team 2 years from now and this will be the 2nd straight year we don't have a 1000 yard WR.

Look at what Chase did for Burrow, Diggs did for Allen etc etc. If Marvin Harrison Jr is sitting there for us and we take an OT I might actually try to burn Lambeau down.

LOL .. Marvin Harrison Jr will be gone by pick #5.  Get a grip, Love is here to stay so may as well build around him and get a defense to protect them when ahead.  Pee and moan all you want .. Love has shown enough to be here for some time down the road.   

24 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

LOL .. Marvin Harrison Jr will be gone by pick #5.  Get a grip, Love is here to stay so may as well build around him and get a defense to protect them when ahead.  Pee and moan all you want .. Love has shown enough to be here for some time down the road.   

Where did I say anything about Love not being here next year? I wouldn't pick a QB unless we had a top 3 pick. The amount it takes to move up and get one these days is insane.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I find it very difficult to believe that any team is going to take that trade for this WR prospect.

Maybe that is what a trade chart would show....but I don't feel that will be reality for a WR prospect like MHJ.

Now....I'll sweeten it.  I'll give up a first, a second AND a WR on our roster not named Watson for him.

That's how much I adore this prospect.  And even that, I fear, would not get it done.

Which is probably best for our team at this point and time.  

I agree, but who knows. 

As for Watson, I'd give him up in a second. Hell, all the better if he can be a sweetener in a deal. MHJ, Wicks, and Reed is honestly the ideal WR core. I like Doubs, but if you have MHJ he can go too. 

Edited by ReasonablySober

16 hours ago, StatKing said:

We don't even attempt to establish the run in most games so it's a moot point if you ask me.

All I've been hearing all year is how we have to give our young guys a chance to grow, now all of a sudden the offensive line is a massive problem even though at worst they've been league average?

The one thing Gute has been great at is finding offensive lineman in the middle/late rounds. Rasheed Walker is a 7th round rookie, him not being a complete disaster for us is a minor miracle.

I feel like a lot of people in this thread are trying to make reasons up to draft an LT that don't exist.

No, there is a need for LT.  I'm not sure it is a first round need, but it is a need.

Can't count on Bakh.

Walker is a 7'th rounder and still in his development phase.

Nijman is a free agent who is likely gone.

After that?  I feel like Tom has LT skills.

But we could really use one to develop.  Hopefully someone with a better skillset and pedigree than Walker.

Course that could be Tom, which means we could use a RT.

Either way, drafting a tackle should be a priority with one of our first three picks or so.

Edited by vegas492

I don’t really care which position we take if we’re drafting top ten as long as we plan on getting an immediate impact out of them. No more easing players in. If they’re not ready, don’t draft them. Enough of that, we need to make the postseason next year.

5 hours ago, MacReady said:

I don’t really care which position we take if we’re drafting top ten as long as we plan on getting an immediate impact out of them. No more easing players in. If they’re not ready, don’t draft them. Enough of that, we need to make the postseason next year.

I agree .. need more instant impact when picking that high.  Teams don't have the luxury of giving up cheap years and getting minimal production these days.

5 hours ago, MacReady said:

You're a funny guy! :D - GIF - Imgur

For the high draft pick crowd, here's your cheat sheet for this weekend.

Panthers over Packers
LA Chargers over Bills
Titans over Seahawks
Falcons over Colts
Broncos over Patriots
NY Giants over Eagles
NY Jets over Commanders
Bears over Cardinals
Raiders over Chiefs

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 3:41 PM, MacReady said:

...............So we miss out on the Rashan Gary's of the world, who need some time to develop but have crazy upside.

Me, I don't care if we get a developmental guy or not, I just want good picks, whether they show out straight away, or take a year or year and a half to develop. Either way is fine, if you are picking well. Of course, someone who produces straight away is better (no argument there) but they tend to go even higher than the 'highest-upside-but-needs-some-work' guys, which often puts them out of reach of teams like Green Bay.

There is an argument for taking guys who just know what they are doing at a high level, but are athletically more limited. However, these guys rely more heavily in having coaches who have both the understanding (of their limitations) and the talent to consistently put them in positions to emphasise what they do well and minimise/mask the things they struggle with more.

The higher upside but greener player needs more coaching, while the savvier, but a little less athletic guy needs better scheming to shine. Two roads that lead to the same place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

...............So we miss out on the Rashan Gary's of the world, who need some time to develop but have crazy upside.

Me, I don't care if we get a developmental guy or not, I just want good picks, whether they show out straight away, or take a year or year and a half to develop. Either way is fine, if you are picking well. Of course, someone who produces straight away is better (no argument there) but they tend to go even higher than the 'highest-upside-but-needs-some-work' guys, which often puts them out of reach of teams like Green Bay.

There is an argument for taking guys who just know what they are doing at a high level, but are athletically more limited. However, these guys rely more heavily in having coaches who have both the understanding (of their limitations) and the talent to consistently put them in positions to emphasise what they do well and minimise/mask the things they struggle with more.

The higher upside but greener player needs more coaching, while the savvier, but a little less athletic guy needs better scheming to shine. Two roads that lead to the same place.

You guys act like Rashan Gary is an all pro edge rusher. This kind of thinking is why we end up with guys like Kevin King instead of TJ Watt. If it takes 2-3 years for a top 15 pick to become a viable starter then maybe we shouldn't take them there.

Edited by StatKing