2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

54 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm confused as to why Washington even wants to trade Sweat, unless he's some locker room cancer or something. He's a pretty darn good player, and good edge rushers don't exactly grow on trees. Sure, you're gonna get a decent pick for him more than likely, but you're more than likely going to have to use a decent pick to have any hope of replacing him with similar or better production.

If he were old I'd get it, but he's in his prime. Just bizarre to me.

Because, for some reason, Rivera decided it would be a good idea to have every single DE on the team come up for free agency at the same time? Sweat is pretty damn good. Young appears to be starting to fulfill his promise. Just a really bad decision not to pick up Young's 5th year option which would've made it a lot easier to keep both ends together for another season. Pretty bad mistake by a guy who won't be here to make the decisions anymore after this season. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I feel like I wouldn't be surprised if it involves a second, as crazy as it sounds for a rental. 

Honestly think R2 is the floor, if 4 teams are really interested.  If it's just 1-2, then it's a blinking contest, but 4, it really tilts to the seller setting the price.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly think R2 is the floor, if 4 teams are really interested.  If it's just 1-2, then it's a blinking contest, but 4, it really tilts to the seller setting the price.

I can't remember a time where a rental went for a first. Until that actually happens, I simply can't believe that's a realistic scenario 

*edit* 

to be clear, they may be asking for it....I just don't see a team offering it up. If that's what it takes, he either comes with an extension or he's just not going to be traded (obviously to me the latter is the more likely scenario) 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I can't remember a time where a rental went for a first. Until that actually happens, I simply can't believe that's a realistic scenario 

Fair, but we've seen deals where Mohammed Sanu has gone for a 2nd....which is insane.   Create enough market demand, crazy stuff happens.   It's also why I said 1st-for-very early 3rd - so it's not quite true 1st value, either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I am so sorry to bring this back up in this thread, but I honestly can't get over the fact that the guy who loves Desmond Ridder as a starting QB wants nothing to do with guys like Kyler Murray & Justin Fields 😂

Like it or not, Atlanta is in a position where they will likely have to do something "desperate" to secure a true franchise QB. 

Kyler Murray on that contract is a horrible fit for this franchise.

Justin Fields just isn't very good and is also injury prone. 

Arthur Smith is taking somewhat of an old-school approach to the QB situation. Letting the QB take his lumps and get the mistakes out this year. So that he can grow and improve. And for the most part, Ridder has improved a ton this year.

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Because, for some reason, Rivera decided it would be a good idea to have every single DE on the team come up for free agency at the same time? Sweat is pretty damn good. Young appears to be starting to fulfill his promise. Just a really bad decision not to pick up Young's 5th year option which would've made it a lot easier to keep both ends together for another season. Pretty bad mistake by a guy who won't be here to make the decisions anymore after this season. 

Yup. And the reason why Atlanta is interested in Sweat is that he's from Atlanta, is a good fit for the scheme and shouldn't be an insane (Multiple firsts) kind of cost.

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Lawson is a really worthwhile get for someone. 

I understand that he's been pretty brutal for the Jets, and that he did suffer an injury that may have significantly impacted his ability to play at a high level, but in terms of what it would cost to acquire him, I'd definitely take a shot that he just needs a change for whatever reason 

I don't think he's been bad for the Jets at all. Last year he had quite a lot of pressures and was a positive presence. They could have moved on from him this year but liked him enough to keep him around. He just hurt in training camp and Huff/Johnson really progressed so he's just been lost in the shuffle. But even so he had an impact play a few weeks ago on limited snaps.

He's a useful player for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Kyler Murray on that contract is a horrible fit for this franchise.

Justin Fields just isn't very good and is also injury prone. 

Arthur Smith is taking somewhat of an old-school approach to the QB situation. Letting the QB take his lumps and get the mistakes out this year. So that he can grow and improve. And for the most part, Ridder has improved a ton this year.

You say this like Ridder is relatively young with high upside, when in fact that describes Fields more than Ridder. Oh, and Fields is simply a better QB than Ridder straight up right now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Duluther said:

You say this like Ridder is relatively young with high upside, when in fact that describes Fields more than Ridder. Oh, and Fields is simply a better QB than Ridder straight up right now. 

No, I say this as, If Ridder isn't the guy, the Falcons should just draft the guy instead of trading for Fields, or a terrible contract like Murray.