2023 NFL Trade Deadline Discussion

49ersfan

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

Not sure of the rules here, but can Chicago franchise tag Sweat if needed?

Yeah, franchise tag is after this league year - so if they can't connect on an extension, they can absolutely tag him.

This being said, this trade makes zero sense.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Depending on cost, I'd expect Nick Caserio to take a look. Dameon Pierce isn't fitting well into this Kubi-Shanny ZBS and the Texans could use a good pocket protector for CJ Stroud (IIRC, Zeke was a tremendous blocker in the backfield). 

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, franchise tag is after this league year - so if they can't connect on an extension, they can absolutely tag him.

This being said, this trade makes zero sense.

He will probably be a better player over the next 3 years than anyone they could have gotten with that 2nd rounder (which is probably all their GM cares about right now). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scar988 said:

49ers makes so much sense. LEague leader in cap space right now and needs a CB bad.

Leader now, but bottom 10 for 2024, currently sitting under $2M in projected space. Still would make sense for a contender, but I wouldn’t offer a Day 2 pick if it’s just a rental.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soko said:

Leader now, but bottom 10 for 2024, currently sitting under $2M in projected space. Still would make sense for a contender, but I wouldn’t offer a Day 2 pick if it’s just a rental.

I've said the same thing. Especially since I think it'll cost a second

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He will probably be a better player over the next 3 years than anyone they could have gotten with that 2nd rounder (which is probably all their GM cares about right now). 

I guess this makes sense, and they already have a surplus of picks as well (and might even get more out of that if they have multiple picks in the top 5-8). 

I just wonder if we can trust Ryan Poles with such an elaborate set of moves.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've said the same thing. Especially since I think it'll cost a second

Yep. 

I think the common opinion is that contenders should be more willing to part with draft picks for rentals, to cash in on the “SB window”. Not sure I even entirely disagree with that, but a team like the 49ers who are kind of entering that second phase of building an elite team, where the young guys are getting paid and some of the vets are going to have to walk, then draft picks are even more valuable - not less. Hitting on young players to refill the depth on the roster or become starters is even more important when the money gets tight. 

Day 3, I’d probably do it. 2nd or 3rd round? I’m not sure Jaylon Johnson moves the needle enough for me, if I’m SF.