Week 7: VIKINGS (2-4) vs 49ers (5-1)

swede700

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Give Kirk Cousins his flowers. Cousins has been (often unfairly) maligned as a quarterback who is good enough to give his team a chance to win, but has never been a guy who can go win them a key game. Consider that opinion indefinitely suspended after Monday night. Cousins was fantastic, finishing with a stellar line of 35 of 45, 378 yards, two touchdowns and one interception that was ripped from the grasp of his intended receiver. He routinely found outlets when under pressure, never panicking and avoiding making a crucial mistake. He spread the ball among nine different targets, and even found ways to keep the offense moving when both Jordan Addison and T.J. Hockenson briefly exited the game due to injury. And because of his play, the Vikings were able to build enough of a lead to keep the 49ers at bay.

Cousins probably should have tossed another touchdown or two, but the two he did complete -- plus a handful of Greg Joseph field goals -- were enough to score a massive upset win, and perhaps change the narrative of the Vikings, who have now won three of their last four.

NFL.com

It was his best single game performance as a Minnesota Viking no question.  Considering Justin Jefferson was not out there, their #1 WR is a some what still unproven rookie, going against the best defense in the NFL that is arguably the toughest as well.  Last year every team that played the 49ers, the game after that they lost because of the physical force the put out as a team on both sides of the ball and how tough they are.  

Great game by the Vikings to show they can hang in and beat arguably the best team in the NFL currently.  Granted Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel did not play.

And I did not know but I guess Ezra Cleveland was hurt that game, curious when he is healthy if Risner stays in for Cleveland after how well he played against the 49ers or takes Ingram's spot.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

How was the defense able to slow down the run? I expected them to get pushed around.  Did they play more of the big guys up front?

They did.  Bullard played very well all game, and Roy and Tonga got some snaps.

• Like 2

Outside of the obvious players that played really well (Cousins, JA, O-Line, Bynum), I'm going to give my props to Brandon Powell.  I really didn't expect much from him this season, but he proved to be pretty valuable last night coming up clutch in some key spots.   

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Outside of the obvious players that played really well (Cousins, JA, O-Line, Bynum), I'm going to give my props to Brandon Powell.  I really didn't expect much from him this season, but he proved to be pretty valuable last night coming up clutch in some key spots.   

Powell and Risner were unsung heroes. Definitely played a huge part in the victory.

The running game is still very concerning. I feel like Akers needs to supplant Mattison ASAP. It was noteworthy to see Chandler get a few more snaps than usual.

If the Vikings win their next game, do they look to add a running back at the trade deadline? I would not be opposed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Powell and Risner were unsung heroes. Definitely played a huge part in the victory.

The running game is still very concerning. I feel like Akers needs to supplant Mattison ASAP. It was noteworthy to see Chandler get a few more snaps than usual.

If the Vikings win their next game, do they look to add a running back at the trade deadline? I would not be opposed.

FWIW, Akers actually did get more carries than Mattison. 

• Like 2